Different expectations for Basketball and Football

BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Different expectations for Basketball and Football

Post by SpiffCoug »

Why does it seem we're doing better at getting "legacy" recruits in basketball than football?

Chatman, Nixon, Haws, Ainge.

Where are the football legacy players?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Re: It's a family affair! So happy for Dalton Nixon

Post by jacksonman »

Spiff,

I think the best answer can be found in the different directions the football and basketball teams are headed, mostly in relation to the in-state rivalry with Utah, the coaches and consistent play on the big stage.

In football, most logical/reasonable fans would have to concede that the U has had a much better last 8 years than us. Last year was a great opportunity to even things back up, but the spanking we took put us even greater in the hole. We are underdogs this year and playing up on the hill, and if we lose again to the U, it would be un-debatable which program is top dog in the state. Add Utah leaving BYU for the Pac-12 and causing the break in the rivalry and it is obvious who has more control and which team is more stable. I am not saying that we can;t right the ship, but we need to beat Utah and we need to make some noise on a national level, preferably getting invited to and winning a BCS bowl game.

In basketball, BYU has dominated the Utes for years and the Utes program is in shambles. I am amazed Loveridge committed to them over BYU, but regardless, there seems to be no end in sight for BYU's continued domination of the U and continued respect on a national level. Jimmermania also helped, as big name recruits have seen what can be done while playing for BYU (hopefully Parker noticed!). Utah St. is by far much better than the U, but even so, Utah St is located in Logan, and who wants to be in winter for 8 months of the year.

Coach Mendenhall, in my opinion, is too much GA and not enough football coach and I think some recruits sense that. On the other hand, Coach Rose is definitely a head coach first. There seems to be less grief for basketball players who don't go on missions versus football players. I am a huge Coach Rose fan and although I do think Coach Mendenhall is a decent coach, I don't think he is as effective in his role as Coach Rose is in his.

Finally, BYU's team has lived up to or surpassed expectations almost every year since he was hired. If Davies did not get suspended, BYU could have had a very real chance at winning it all (there is no arguing this if you actually watched the finals that year). Even so, we barely lost in overtime in the sweet 16. Last year met expectations and the come back win was amazing! We win almost all the games we are supposed to win and a few that we weren't. We rarely get blown out and the team looks like they have fun.

Our football team has lacked passion and a killer instinct, has really struggled the last two years for an identity, has dropped a notch in the state rankings and hasn't had a dominating win against a decent team in what seems like a long time. They also have been boring to watch.

If I am a basketball recruit, I am choosing BYU if I am active LDS, and probably some other school out of the state if I am not active LDS. But in football, I'd highly consider the U either way, and would only choose BYU if I was active LDS planning on a mission, had no NFL dreams, and had no real problems with honor code issues. Right now in my life, I would have to highly consider the U.

As much as I hate the U, I am starting to realize why players are choosing the U over the Y. Hopefully Bronco does something this year to change the tide.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm not seeing the same number of legacy football players. Are there just fewer good legacy football players?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
cougfan84
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougfan84 »

The reason for no legacy football players is there are alot of players on the football team so alot get overlooked.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

YEah, I don't buy that utah has an edge and therefore BYU aren't getting legacy football players. I haven't seen too many legacy football players turn down BYU, much less to go to utah. A couple, but it's minimal.

I agree that there are quite a few legacy players who simply get buried on the depth chart at BYU, harder to recognize them.

In any case, I'm way excited for D. Nixon to be sporting BYU blue. BYU's going to be competitive for years to come.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Ron Swanson wrote:The reason for no legacy football players is there are alot of players on the football team so alot get overlooked.
Hmm. Vince Biegel. Chase Hansen (dad played LB for BYU). Harrison Handley.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:The reason for no legacy football players is there are alot of players on the football team so alot get overlooked.
Hmm. Vince Biegel. Chase Hansen (dad played LB for BYU). Harrison Handley.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

Just saying, if I am a highly sought after legacy recruit, it would be a much easier decision to choose BYU for Basketball than BYU for football, and there are several reasons why.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

jacksonman wrote:Just saying, if I am a highly sought after legacy recruit, it would be a much easier decision to choose BYU for Basketball than BYU for football, and there are several reasons why.
Are you kidding? If I was highly sought after there's no question where I would go. :evil:

I knew a kid who could have played baseball at a few different schools who's dad played at BYU and in the bigs. He decided to walk on to BYU's BASEBALL team.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I think there must be other variables involved. Such as generational attrition occurring more often in football. Just wondering. Football has a higher incidence rate of severe, life altering injuries than bball, Namely, concussions. So, it owls make sense that fewer football players as parents encourage their children to go into football. They know the toll it takes on the body.
Although consider the following families with recent 2nd generations or siblings at BYU football: Collie, pendleton, Reynolds, Kuresa, and probably others. We missed on Biegel, but how many other legacy football 2nd geners have we missed out on? I can't think of many.