Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's a family affair! So happy for Dalton Nixon

Post by Schmoe »

Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Since Gunk is such a big fan of throwing numbers out there, I did a little number crunching of my own. Looking at all division one programs, here's how both teams have stacked up since our new coaches got momentum going:

2006: Football-15 (top 7%) Basketball-No tourney appearance (N/A)
2007: Football-14 (top 6%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2008: Football-21 (top 9%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2009: Football-12 (top 5%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2010: Football-Not Ranked (N/A) Basketball-Top 32 (top 9%)
2011: Football-25 (top 11%) Basketball-Top 16 (top 5%)
2012: Football-Not Yet Available (INC) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)

Average percentage in D-1: Football-top 15% Basketball-top 20%

Surprise, surprise, our football team is actually doing better under Bronco than our basketball team is doing under Rose (really, they're doing about the same, but the expectations are always higher for football, which is why we hear all the moaning and groaning from fans about football and fans like Jackhole just sit contentedly with what basketball is doing). And all this despite the feelings of some fans, weird.
Your numbers are off. There 119 football teams. A 15th ranking is top 12%.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
You're right, my numbers are wrong, I calculated using 225 teams, but there are actually 241 Division 1 football teams. Our football numbers should be slightly better than listed above.
FCS teams don't count. They aren't considered for bowls. FCS teams participate in their own post season tournament.

If an FCS team went undefeated, it still wouldn't get votes or a guarantee of a bowl invite. Certainly wouldn't appear on any BCS polls. In fact, it wasn't until this last August that the NCAA expanded bowl eligibility to include FCS teams under extreme conditions - essentially only if there are no other eligible FBS teams. So, BYU's 15th ranking really is just among 119 teams. Again, FCS teams weren't considered for the poll. Name the last time an FCS team appeared in the AP Top 25 or, more importantly, the Coaches Poll as its the poll that determines BCS bowl eligibility?

The mere fact a win against an FCS team may or may not depending on the circumstances count on the win record of an FBS team denotes the separation of the two divisions. You're essentially trying to count Triple AAA teams as MLB teams...doesn't work.

However, should Pepperdine or Iona or any other Division 1 basketball team put together an undefeated season they'd be ranked and headed to the NCAA tournament with all the other Division 1 teams.
You can nitpick all you like, I'm simply counting all Division 1 teams just as you do for basketball. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your argument.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

Eh, I'm kinda just jumpin' in on this and I haven't taken the time to read everything, but if the argument is whether the football team or the basketball team is headed more in the right direction...I'd have to agree with it being the basketball team.

Maybe I'm way off, but it just seems to me like generally speaking in the last couple years, the basketball team has gotten at least some of those big time outstanding wins, and the football team almost always fails to get those big wins against truly great teams. There just hasn't really been any wins for the BYU football team in the last few years where it was just like, wow - now that is a top tier team they beat! I don't know, maybe I'm just hard to please but I don't think you can pick out any wins from our football team in the last few years that would be comparable with those wins against ranked SDSU.

Anydang way, wasn't this article about Dalton Nixon? ;)

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

FurriousCougar wrote:Eh, I'm kinda just jumpin' in on this and I haven't taken the time to read everything, but if the argument is whether the football team or the basketball team is headed more in the right direction...I'd have to agree with it being the basketball team.
It actually started as a discussion of which team the fans held to a higher standard and expected more of. Some of us are saying that the teams have done relatively equally, yet we only hear whining and complaining about football, so there are higher expectations for football. Others of us have been saying that basketball has simply done better/more, and that's the reason there's no whining about basketball, not that the fan expectations for the team are lower.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

Since football and basketball are different sports, it really only makes sense to evaluate the coaches based on how they are doing with respect to their peers. Currently, Bronco Mendenhall is 8th among coaches with at least 5 seasons in win percentage. http://www.coacheshotseat.com/Winninges ... chesIA.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Through 6 seasons (most current I could find), Dave Rose is 4th among active coaches (with a minimum of 5 years). If you add last year's results, Dave Rose drops to 77.4% (still would be in 4th place assuming that the coaches around him stayed at the same percentages).
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketb ... oaches.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is apparent that we have 2 very good coaches. We need to quit whining.
Bronco Mendenhall doesn't deserve near the heat that he gets. Dave Rose certainly doesn't deserve more heat.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Craig, can you change the name of the thread?

This has started to become a pretty piss-poor welcoming for Dalton :)

As a suggestion for an appropriate thread title I submit "Purposefully distorting numbers to back up your arguments"

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Schmoe wrote:
FurriousCougar wrote:Eh, I'm kinda just jumpin' in on this and I haven't taken the time to read everything, but if the argument is whether the football team or the basketball team is headed more in the right direction...I'd have to agree with it being the basketball team.
It actually started as a discussion of which team the fans held to a higher standard and expected more of. Some of us are saying that the teams have done relatively equally, yet we only hear whining and complaining about football, so there are higher expectations for football. Others of us have been saying that basketball has simply done better/more, and that's the reason there's no whining about basketball, not that the fan expectations for the team are lower.
BYU is a football first school hence greater interest in its success. Just look at CougarCorner, the volume of football to basketball posts is greatly tilted towards football. Geez...the most popular thread on the basketball forum right now is a thread that's been perverted by football.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: Different expectations for Basketball and Football

Post by hawkwing »

Split the topics, this one will be for discussion of the different expectations between the football and basketball programs.

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

Schmoe wrote:
I'd say it's a mix of both really. I'd say part of the problem as well is that most of the "progress" people are gonna be looking at is Bowl Games for football and how far we make it in the Big Dance for basketball. In basketball, it's much easier to at least get "a shot" - which we did - and made it to the sweet 16 for the first time in a long time - progress. As for football - well, unless you get a BCS bowl - which is tough to get - all you can really do is win some bowl game, which at the end of the day, BYU fans will be happy with, but it will just be another non BCS bowl win...so there maybe isn't equal opportunity for the two teams to live up the the expectations....to a degree.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Maybe I'm way off, but it just seems to me like generally speaking in the last couple years, the basketball team has gotten at least some of those big time outstanding wins, and the football team almost always fails to get those big wins against truly great teams.
Which wins are you counting as "truly" great wins for the basketball team???

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Re: Different expectations for Basketball and Football

Post by jacksonman »

Utah, Boise and TCU all made into multiple BCS games or were at least in the discussion for bids after the last regular season game was played. Even Hawaii made it to BCS bowl game. BYU has never been in the discussion in any real season at the very end of the season in the Bronco era. We are a consistent 20-30 ranked program and need to be a consistent 10-15 program to really be in the discussion.

Making a weak BCS bowl game is comparable to winning a game in the NCAA tournament (a play0in game doesn't really count). Winning 2 games in the NCAA tournament is comparable to winning a weak BCS bowl game or getting into one of the more prestigious BCS bowl games against one of the better teams. Winning 3 NCAA tourny games is like winning one of the more prestigious BCS bowl games. Winning 4 or 5 games is like making the BCS finals and you can figure out the next step.