Different expectations for Basketball and Football

BYU Cougars on the court.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's a family affair! So happy for Dalton Nixon

Post by Schmoe »

Rose had the best player in college basketball and couldn't get past the sweet 16, and without the best player, hasn't been able to get out of the second round. Rose may very well end up missing out on the greatest LDS recruit ever. Rose generally makes the tourney and then gets bounced. What are Coach Rose's goals? He doesn't aim high, so he never achieves anything more than a simple tourney appearance.

NOTE-This is mostly TIC. Talking crap about any of our coaches is garbage, and it's done by garbage fans. A football team who consistently makes the top 25 and a basketball team that consistently makes the tourney makes us one of the best athletic schools in the country (at least in the only sports that really matter). This discussion has been asinine at best.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

If Davies kept it in his pants, I have no doubt in my mind that we win the NC. With one fail swoop we went from having a strong inside presence, and the best backcourt combo in the nation, to NO inside presence whatsoever, and a 6'6" 185 lbs Charles Abuou starting at Power Forward.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

scott715 wrote:
you can never turn a basketball center into a point guard.
I seem to remember Magic moving from PG to C in the NBA finals and winning the last game. I know I am old and he was 6' 9".
Oh, I'm sorry, you're right. I take it all back. :blush: Basketball and football are the same and we should evaluate both coaches in exactly the same manner. :roll: :D

I'm still glad I cheer for BYU rather than anyone in the Pac 12. :sick:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe wrote:Rose had the best player in college basketball and couldn't get past the sweet 16, and without the best player, hasn't been able to get out of the second round.
If Davies kept it in his pants, I have no doubt in my mind that we win the NC or at least make a *serious* bid for it. With one fail swoop we went from having a strong inside presence, and the best backcourt combo in the nation, to NO inside presence whatsoever, and a 6'6" 185 lbs Charles Abuou starting at Power Forward.
Schmoe wrote:NOTE-This is mostly TIC. Talking crap about any of our coaches is garbage, and it's done by garbage fans. A football team who consistently makes the top 25 and a basketball team that consistently makes the tourney makes us one of the best athletic schools in the country (at least in the only sports that really matter). This discussion has been asinine at best.
Agreed. Arguing about which sport is better is weird, and arguing about what coaches in what sports are better is weird too.

The good and bad thing about basketball is that you only have 11 people, so all you need is 1 Jimmer and 1 Emery, and you are suddenly serious contenders. But, everyone else has that chance too.

Football is harder to create a team, but easier to have continued dominance year after year.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Schmoe wrote:Rose had the best player in college basketball and couldn't get past the sweet 16, and without the best player, hasn't been able to get out of the second round. Rose may very well end up missing out on the greatest LDS recruit ever. Rose generally makes the tourney and then gets bounced. What are Coach Rose's goals? He doesn't aim high, so he never achieves anything more than a simple tourney appearance.

NOTE-This is mostly TIC. Talking crap about any of our coaches is garbage, and it's done by garbage fans. A football team who consistently makes the top 25 and a basketball team that consistently makes the tourney makes us one of the best athletic schools in the country (at least in the only sports that really matter). This discussion has been asinine at best.
Amen! Well said

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

I find it entertaining when posters who spend time to come on to insult a topic after also spending time to write their opinion on the topic.

If fans can't talk about the direction the different sports are headed, and reasons for such, what can we discuss? Why even have these forums? When is it allowed to talk negatively at all about one's program?

Although BYU Football has ended the season strong most years and thus gaining a 20-25 ranking at the end of the year, most of these end of year victories are against nobodies. I can honestly say that I haven't felt that we were one the top 30-35 teams in the country, let alone top 25, several of the years we finished top-25, especially last year.

With Davies last year, the sky was the limit, we had just worked SD ST and had a #3 ranking, then the Davies wheel fell off and we lost to New Mexico, and never really recovered completely. Coach Rose coached Jimmer to make him what he was, came in prepared to games, and overachieved a few times.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

jacksonman wrote:
Although BYU Football has ended the season strong most years and thus gaining a 20-25 ranking at the end of the year, most of these end of year victories are against nobodies. I can honestly say that I haven't felt that we were one the top 30-35 teams in the country, let alone top 25, several of the years we finished top-25, especially last year.
Well, I'm sorry that the national voters of the college football polls aren't respectful of your feelings :~( . I'm sorry that the football team faces nobodies while the basketball team is facing powerhouses like Iona. I find it funny when a new poster shows up just to piss all over Bronco Mendenhall. :sulk:

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

I am sorry Schmoe. I am a semi-newbie. Didn't know that I needed to be careful not to say mean things against your man-crush.

Let me repeat. Bronco is doing OK. Some of us are very worried we have hit a ceiling with him. Unless he beats, or at least strongly competes, with Utah this year and wins a big game or two on the road, many of us will concede a ceiling has been reached. Some of you fans seem so content with top 20-25 FINISHES without any real victories. Others dont mind watching what used to be surefire BYU signees go with the U or other school, with the justification that BYU wasn't right for them, or BYU was somehow better than them, so they choose to go elsewhere. I just don't like the DIRECTION this team is headed right now, which is one step about mediocre.

On the other hand, Rose seems to be taking his team in a different DIRECTION. The teams has had consistent success, overachieved, and appears to be on the up and up. I feel CONFIDENT that this team will be great for the next decade, and has the potential to be AMAZING!

I honestly don't know how BYU crept into the top-25 last year. Maybe it was a down year for college football but how does a team whose best victory was a fluke 1 point victory at Ole Miss and beating Tulsa after two months of prep in a sloppy game get into the top-25? Regardless of Utah's final record and pathetic loss against CU (without their QB), I would have much rather had their season (which is hard for me to say).

Time for Bronco to beat Utah this year and next year and get them asking for games during the two year "break".

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU football was 7-6 in 2010. They went 10-3 the next year, in 2011.

Obviously that's the wrong direction.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

jacksonman wrote:I am sorry Schmoe. I am a semi-newbie. Didn't know that I needed to be careful not to say mean things against your man-crush.

Let me repeat. Bronco is doing OK. Some of us are very worried we have hit a ceiling with him. Unless he beats, or at least strongly competes, with Utah this year and wins a big game or two on the road, many of us will concede a ceiling has been reached. Some of you fans seem so content with top 20-25 FINISHES without any real victories. Others dont mind watching what used to be surefire BYU signees go with the U or other school, with the justification that BYU wasn't right for them, or BYU was somehow better than them, so they choose to go elsewhere. I just don't like the DIRECTION this team is headed right now, which is one step about mediocre.

On the other hand, Rose seems to be taking his team in a different DIRECTION. The teams has had consistent success, overachieved, and appears to be on the up and up. I feel CONFIDENT that this team will be great for the next decade, and has the potential to be AMAZING!

I honestly don't know how BYU crept into the top-25 last year. Maybe it was a down year for college football but how does a team whose best victory was a fluke 1 point victory at Ole Miss and beating Tulsa after two months of prep in a sloppy game get into the top-25? Regardless of Utah's final record and pathetic loss against CU (without their QB), I would have much rather had their season (which is hard for me to say).

Time for Bronco to beat Utah this year and next year and get them asking for games during the two year "break".
So, Bronco's 5 top 25 finishes (3 top 15) and two conference titles in six years are a "fluke" and the wrong direction for the program, even though the program had only had one ranked season from 1997-2005. But Rose's inability to win in Vegas, zero conference championships, the consistent first round exits, and the sweet sixteen exit with the Naismith Award winner is somehow "overachieving" and "the right direction." Again, you talk about your feelings, you FEEL that the basketball team will be amazing, while you FEEL like the football team is underachieving and you FEEL that a head coach who takes a team that has done nothing for a decade and makes them a consistent top 25 team for next decade is not a good head coach. Looks like you're the one with the man crush, dealing with all those pent-up feelings :love:

And yes, it does matter that you're new. You have established no credibility, no trust, and lack any logic to backup your arguments, just FEELINGS.
Last edited by Schmoe on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.