Different expectations for Basketball and Football

BYU Cougars on the court.
jacksonman
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's a family affair! So happy for Dalton Nixon

Post by jacksonman »

We lost to new Mexico right after Davies was suspended. Last year wad a rebuilding year for basketball. Getting outscored 80 to 60 in basketball is nothing like losing how we did to Florida st or Utah. Sure the basketball team loses some games, and gets beat soundly sometimes. But they also hand out some whippings and win some upsets. Dominating Utah and tying up the beat recruits in the state for years to come doesn't hurt either. The football team the last few years has predictably won all the patsies, except for Utah st, struggled with decent mid majors, and laid eggs against every good team when we had a chance to prove our ranking. Oklahoma was one exception and that was with crowtons recruits and with Bradford and their tight end out.

I am also getting tired of all the talk about how difficult this years schedule is. Highest ranked team is 22. All the allegedly good teams are in rebuilding mode. Every game is extremely winnable. Every singe one of these teams will lose several games this year. This was also the case last year, and Texas and tcu were both very vulnerable. Should have beat Texas. Poor coachin cost Us that game. It seems like bronco supporters are preparing to justify loses by making this years schedule harder than it really is. The utes shedule is probably much harder than ours is and I don't see their fans already justifying a 3 or 4 loss season.

If we are a big time program, in a year full if seniors, fans should be expecting at least going 2 and 2 in these 4 games and being competitive in the two loses. 3 and 1 shouldn't be a Cinderella year. We are a senior laden team and we should be able to play with just about anyone.

If we lose to Utah again, especially if we get dominated, and we win only one or none of the big 4, we will have cemented ourselves as the number 2 program in the state, unless we also lose to Utah st.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Since Gunk is such a big fan of throwing numbers out there, I did a little number crunching of my own. Looking at all division one programs, here's how both teams have stacked up since our new coaches got momentum going:

2006: Football-15 (top 7%) Basketball-No tourney appearance (N/A)
2007: Football-14 (top 6%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2008: Football-21 (top 9%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2009: Football-12 (top 5%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2010: Football-Not Ranked (N/A) Basketball-Top 32 (top 9%)
2011: Football-25 (top 11%) Basketball-Top 16 (top 5%)
2012: Football-Not Yet Available (INC) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)

Average percentage in D-1: Football-top 15% Basketball-top 20%

Surprise, surprise, our football team is actually doing better under Bronco than our basketball team is doing under Rose (really, they're doing about the same, but the expectations are always higher for football, which is why we hear all the moaning and groaning from fans about football and fans like Jackhole just sit contentedly with what basketball is doing). And all this despite the feelings of some fans, weird.
Your numbers are off. There 119 football teams. A 15th ranking is top 12%.

You're right, my numbers are wrong, I calculated using 225 teams, but there are actually 241 Division 1 football teams. Our football numbers should be slightly better than listed above.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

jacksonman wrote:We lost to new Mexico right after Davies was suspended. Last year wad a rebuilding year for basketball. Getting outscored 80 to 60 in basketball is nothing like losing how we did to Florida st or Utah.
You're right, it is nothing like our football losses. Losing by 22 at home when you're ranked #3 in the country is worse.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

Two days after losing our starting center and no real replacement. If our football team lost one fifth of their starters, those loses to utah and Florida state could be justifiable. I take that back. That Utah game is unjustifiable regardless.

Losing davies would be like losing our rb, center, def lineman, and safety at the same time.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

jacksonman wrote: :~( Excuses :~(

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

Losing Davies an excuse?

So what would you call all this justifying a 4 loss season before playing a down? Thi schedule as is right now isn't nearly as tough as you are making it to be.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

jacksonman wrote:Losing Davies an excuse?

So what would you call all this justifying a 4 loss season before playing a down? Thi schedule as is right now isn't nearly as tough as you are making it to be.

Have I justified losing 4 games? Have I made this season out to be tough? Please, show me where.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Schmoe wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Since Gunk is such a big fan of throwing numbers out there, I did a little number crunching of my own. Looking at all division one programs, here's how both teams have stacked up since our new coaches got momentum going:

2006: Football-15 (top 7%) Basketball-No tourney appearance (N/A)
2007: Football-14 (top 6%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2008: Football-21 (top 9%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2009: Football-12 (top 5%) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)
2010: Football-Not Ranked (N/A) Basketball-Top 32 (top 9%)
2011: Football-25 (top 11%) Basketball-Top 16 (top 5%)
2012: Football-Not Yet Available (INC) Basketball-Top 64 (top 19%)

Average percentage in D-1: Football-top 15% Basketball-top 20%

Surprise, surprise, our football team is actually doing better under Bronco than our basketball team is doing under Rose (really, they're doing about the same, but the expectations are always higher for football, which is why we hear all the moaning and groaning from fans about football and fans like Jackhole just sit contentedly with what basketball is doing). And all this despite the feelings of some fans, weird.
Your numbers are off. There 119 football teams. A 15th ranking is top 12%.

You're right, my numbers are wrong, I calculated using 225 teams, but there are actually 241 Division 1 football teams. Our football numbers should be slightly better than listed above.
FCS teams don't count. They aren't considered for bowls. FCS teams participate in their own post season tournament.

If an FCS team went undefeated, it still wouldn't get votes or a guarantee of a bowl invite. Certainly wouldn't appear on any BCS polls. In fact, it wasn't until this last August that the NCAA expanded bowl eligibility to include FCS teams under extreme conditions - essentially only if there are no other eligible FBS teams. So, BYU's 15th ranking really is just among 119 teams. Again, FCS teams weren't considered for the poll. Name the last time an FCS team appeared in the AP Top 25 or, more importantly, the Coaches Poll as its the poll that determines BCS bowl eligibility?

The mere fact a win against an FCS team may or may not depending on the circumstances count on the win record of an FBS team denotes the separation of the two divisions. You're essentially trying to count Triple AAA teams as MLB teams...doesn't work.

However, should Pepperdine or Iona or any other Division 1 basketball team put together an undefeated season they'd be ranked and headed to the NCAA tournament with all the other Division 1 teams.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

jacksonman wrote:Two days after losing our starting center and no real replacement. If our football team lost one fifth of their starters, those loses to utah and Florida state could be justifiable. I take that back. That Utah game is unjustifiable regardless.

Losing davies would be like losing our rb, center, def lineman, and safety at the same time.

I seem to recall losing our star RB one season and BYU becoming completely inept...

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

BYU was a final four team with Davies, and a Sweet Sixteen team without (and one point from being an elite 8 without). We are also loading up on recruits that appear to take BYU to new levels.

I guess some of us will have to agree to disagree.