Mission age!

BYU Cougars on the court.
AmmonCougar1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Mission age!

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

Does this announcement change Jabari's decision now? Will he just leave on a mission right out of school and coming back to the NBA? Or will it encourage him to leave now and then come back to BYU to play a year before the NBA?

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Schmoe
Retired

Re: Mission age!

Post by Schmoe »

I have no idea if this will affect Jabari or not, but I think it will impact recruiting quite a bit. Those who are planning on serving at 18 will leave right out of high school and will have a mission under their belts before deciding where to play. It will be interesting to see how this changes the atmosphere of recruiting LDS athletes, as many won't put in a year before leaving.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

No Idea, but this is huge. Not just for Jabari, but for every BYU athlete (and every BYU student come to that), this could absolutely revolutionize BYU sports. Imagine not having to burn so many redshirts on Freshmen that won't play the next year anyway. Imagine having every player on the team be in Taysom's position (come back from mission with 4 years of eligibility). Sooo awesome. I'm sure there are unintended consequences that I can't foresee, but I don't think this makes LDS kids more likely to go to schools other than BYU and I'm sure the number of kids choosing to go to BYU during their missions will go up since there will be no pressure to sign an LOI before they leave on the mish.

Also, why, why, why couldn't this have happened at last conference before Demarcus xferred to clemson (dash it all!)

Huge huge huge!

Loyal Strong True
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

It could affect basketball for the next couple of years. The roster is already laid out for the next couple of years. Do the kids change the plans and leave out of high school or stay with the plan. With Haws and all coming in, there could be some disruptions.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I can't believe that Thomas Monson would blatantly change the mission age, just to help BYU land Jabari.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

SpiffCoug wrote:I can't believe that Thomas Monson would blatantly change the mission age, just to help BYU land Jabari.
Everyone knows the Missionary Program is just a cover for the high-altitude, 24/7 athlete development centers that the church runs. It's the only thing that could explain why RMs come back with such incredible fitness levels. The age-change is just the next logical step.

Loyal Strong True
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Nick Emery already tweeting he is putting in his papers ASAP, so that puts him out a year early already.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

BerliNY wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I can't believe that Thomas Monson would blatantly change the mission age, just to help BYU land Jabari.
Everyone knows the Missionary Program is just a cover for the high-altitude, 24/7 athlete development centers that the church runs. It's the only thing that could explain why RMs come back with such incredible fitness levels. The age-change is just the next logical step.
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I get the sense Jabari doesn't have plans to serve a mission.

The new policy should give him some food for thought, though.

Pure speculation on my part.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
saywhat
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by saywhat »

snoscythe wrote:Nick Emery already tweeting he is putting in his papers ASAP, so that puts him out a year early already.
This was always his plan. He is older and was going to leave on a mission right after high school before the announcement was made anyway.