What da f... happened to the Marriott Center???

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What da f... happened to the Marriott Center???

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:
hawkwing wrote:As was discussed before, it makes sense to put the students in the position where their noise can be an advantage to the team. They have the biggest effect when they are at the basket and not at mid court.
Students at the basket also have a big effect on selling high-end season tickets. BYU just doubled the number of mid-court season tickets they can sell. Students affecting the game is a nice perk.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Win-win-win

BerliNY
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BerliNY »

cougarsunited wrote:In this video it says that the Marriott Center lower bowl will be all chair seating. WHY would they so that, what happened to the student section? What's with the benches? Seats are the ultimate noise killer. I can"t believe they are doing that. Does that mean every student now has a assigned seat..? So much about pre-game atmosphere... It will also not be as tightly packed, I am applauled...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=225157 ... r-byu-fans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It got da f ... upgraded. I don't live within a thousand miles of Provo and I've known about this for ... a year maybe. Is this really the first you've heard of it?

Also, this puts the students right on top of the basket, having a student section at half-court dilutes their effect and gives the best seats in the house for free. This change is a huge improvement.

But I applaul your efforts to stay up to date.

Loyal Strong True
Waipahuboy
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Waipahuboy »

cougarsunited wrote:
Waipahuboy wrote:Yikes, what the h... is "applauled"? Did you mean "appalled"? Tell me you're a graduate of the U or USU :crazy:

And not every college bball venue can be like Cameron, Rupp Arena, the Phog, Pauley Pavilion, et al. The MC is going to be all right, imo.
Applauled is fast typing in a non-native english language, not caring, smartass.. You go ahead and do a little growing up, qualify your presence with some content related input and glory in your "at best" 1 1/2 languages you speak (should you have had a two year excursion abroad for the usual missionary duty, which you probably haven't judging by bla bla bla) until then, you look pretty stupid with remarks like these.

Yes, the MC badly needed updates, blue chairs is what I have been wanting ever since I laid eyes on the building, but putting students into assigned seating is not helping the noise level increase in there, and though not every arena can be like the above mentioned, the MC isn't really all that far from it, it already has the reputation as the loudest student section in the country, trust me chairs won't help keep it that way...

PS. I am a proud alumn of BYU and have gone on to some even better educational institutions.

Haha, this is what I love about the BYU fanbase, Mr. Cougarunited. Let me say that I am also an alum of BYU-Provo and can always count on a "fan" on this board calling another poster names, touting his/er educational superiority, demeaning those who served as F/T missionaries in a foreign country, and defending the mothership (BYU Athletics).

Among the elite college mens bball venues, the MC is good, not great. Much has to do with the product on the floor. So happy that it's loud, I'm a Dave Rose guy, hope they get Jabari, Jimmer era was entertaining ....but the Y teams since the Ainge era (and yes, I saw him play in the late 70s, early 80s) haven't done much since. Any Elite Eights or Final Fours recently? Heck, even the U went to the Finals under the big guy in the 90s.

No need for the namecalling - I understand your view. You're entitled to it. But respectfully disagreeing with you shouldn't give you permission to pile on. My non-member father was once an ardent Cougar fan, until he observed some questionable actions/language from BYU "fans" @ a UH-BYU football game in Aloha Stadium. And then the next time the football team came to Hawai'i, same boorish behavior. It happens, it's unfortunate. That's not going to garner respect among us common folk, though.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:
hawkwing wrote:As was discussed before, it makes sense to put the students in the position where their noise can be an advantage to the team. They have the biggest effect when they are at the basket and not at mid court.
Students at the basket also have a big effect on selling high-end season tickets. BYU just doubled the number of mid-court season tickets they can sell. Students affecting the game is a nice perk.

Win-win-win
I know! If I lived in Provo I'd be buying some center court season tickets.

You should get a pair and then give away one of the seats each game to the biggest CougarCorner fan. You could write it off as a business expense. ;)

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Win-win-win
Except for the students, that is. They lose.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

tmoney35 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Win-win-win
Students ought to be thrilled to be at the basket where they can actually affect the game. I honestly don't see how they could be upset about having a bigger effect on the game.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

Where are all the other current students on this board? I'm curious to know how other students feel about the move

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I was in the MC a few weeks ago and I was surprised they only replaced the benches with blue chairs and left the nasty yellow ones in. I kind of expected that BYU would "do it right" and not have a mismatched stadium. For a place that tears out flowers in full bloom every other week and replaces them with other flowers it was kind of a surprise. It just looks weird.

Maybe its the fixed it up, wear it out mentality of the church kicking in?

Hopefully it doesn't matter and no one will ever see the color of the seats behind the packed MC! (note to the legacy seaters at LES. Way to support the black out with your nice, bright white, empty chairs! Yes, I'm jealous of your chocolate fountain, free programs, water, and ice cream.)

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

I didn't know that flip is a four letter word?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

tmoney35 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Win-win-win
Agreed that this is a loss for the students. I get called all sorts of names on here. In the football forum, I'm depicted as a blue hair who wears Depends because I don't like the Black uniforms (and didn't think the product on the field while watching OSU looked anything like BYU). Here I'm a spoiled student because I'd love to see the students get the best seats and enjoy the games.

Sure, this raises excitement about more high end seats and the almighty dollar that BYU will be bringing in. It's only because cougar fans are cheap though. Less midcourt seats available for sale means larger demand for those seats and more money for those seats. BYU just created an huge supply of seats and I think the students got shafted. But who cares, they are getting those seats for "free".