Draftexpress review of Davies and his draft prospects

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Draftexpress review of Davies and his draft prospects

Post by Qman »

At the end of the day, Davies's performance at Portsmouth elevated his stock from an afterthought to potentially being a second round pick. In addition to possessing the size and an intriguing offensive skill set for an NBA rotation big man, he impressed scouts with his character amidst his sophomore suspension, and with the way that he handled himself throughout his collegiate career.

As the draft nears, Davies will have every opportunity to prove to scouts that he has the ability to play at the next level. In a draft that lacks great depth at the power forward position, he has to be considered attractive since he's still only 21 years old and surely has plenty of room to continue to improve.
From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2WCwAAUc5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.draftexpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Draftexpress review of Davies and his draft prospects

Post by HoosierCougar »

Davies' ability to distribute from the post and from the mid-range will also be of benefit to his draft stock. Good passing = good team work. So he won't be drafted by the Kings!

golong
Freshman

Post by golong »

Davies has no NBA future--he will not be drafted. He's had four years to prove how good he is, and he proved he is not really very good. He will get thinned out in the draft. Don't wait by the phone Brandon, go to a good movie instead.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

golong wrote:Davies has no NBA future--he will not be drafted. He's had four years to prove how good he is, and he proved he is not really very good. He will get thinned out in the draft. Don't wait by the phone Brandon, go to a good movie instead.
Thanks for your expert analysis, now I don't have to read what the professional analysts and scouts say.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

Schmoe wrote:
golong wrote:Davies has no NBA future--he will not be drafted. He's had four years to prove how good he is, and he proved he is not really very good. He will get thinned out in the draft. Don't wait by the phone Brandon, go to a good movie instead.
Thanks for your expert analysis, now I don't have to read what the professional analysts and scouts say.
Golong, I'll bet you're underpaid.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

going undrafted and not having an NBA future are unrelated and not the same thing. I think Davies can find a spot in the NBA, but if he's not drafted, he needs to pick his team carefully. He has some decent post moves and could be a decent post option for a 2nd unit for certain teams.

He's not the rebounder Milsap is, but he's similar in size. I think he could fill a nice role on a team like OKC, or Portland. Heck, he'd probably even help bad teams like Cleveland or Washington.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Davies worked out for the Jazz today. If they picked him up late in the second and traded someone for Jimmer this offseason, I might just be able to bring myself to root for them again.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Davies is best when he has a supporting cast. No, he's not a put-the-team-in-his-back kind of guy. He has the best low post moves to grace BYU in 15 years. Raja was just big. Bradley was just tall. Davies makes guys miss, he makes them leave their feet.

If Trent Plaisted can get drafted with his tiny arms, mythical 40" vertical, and horrific low-post moves, Davies can.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:going undrafted and not having an NBA future are unrelated and not the same thing. I think Davies can find a spot in the NBA, but if he's not drafted, he needs to pick his team carefully. He has some decent post moves and could be a decent post option for a 2nd unit for certain teams.

He's not the rebounder Milsap is, but he's similar in size. I think he could fill a nice role on a team like OKC, or Portland. Heck, he'd probably even help bad teams like Cleveland or Washington.
Correction. The two are not 100% positively correlated. To suggest that they are not at least somewhat correlated would be as equally inaccurate as the original statement--that they are 100% correlated. :)

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

SpiffCoug wrote:going undrafted and not having an NBA future are unrelated and not the same thing. I think Davies can find a spot in the NBA, but if he's not drafted, he needs to pick his team carefully. He has some decent post moves and could be a decent post option for a 2nd unit for certain teams.

Davies's standing reach is 9'0.5". Millsap's standing reach is 8'9.5". They are not similarly sized.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb