This Team Is Better Than Expected

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Team Is Better Than Expected

Post by craigoscarson »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I think this team is exactly why you need a dynamic star. I think Tyler has a much higher ceiling than Jimmer, but Jimmer had that something extra. I said that this team was a better team than the sweet 16 team a few years back, but man they miss the one player.

It's not Haws. It's either got to be Matty or it's got to be KC. KC was money on Saturday. Can he be that guy going forward?

This team next year, if either Matt or KC step up, will be a sweet 16 team.
KC has a higher ceiling than Haws as a player. Haws is an overachiever and has always been near his ceiling when he plays... what you see is what you get. He is a college stud but a straight to Europe player.

KC has a chance to be a NBAer in the mold of Ginobili, and has 2 more years to put together a jump shot.

But this is why this team is now dangerous. KC has figured it out (all except the free throws) but he does so much you simply cannot focus your D on Tyler.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

craigoscarson wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:I think this team is exactly why you need a dynamic star. I think Tyler has a much higher ceiling than Jimmer, but Jimmer had that something extra. I said that this team was a better team than the sweet 16 team a few years back, but man they miss the one player.

It's not Haws. It's either got to be Matty or it's got to be KC. KC was money on Saturday. Can he be that guy going forward?

KC has a higher ceiling than Haws as a player. Haws is an overachiever and has always been near his ceiling when he plays... what you see is what you get. He is a college stud but a straight to Europe player.

KC has a chance to be a NBAer in the mold of Ginobili, and has 2 more years to put together a jump shot.

But this is why this team is now dangerous. KC has figured it out (all except the free throws) but he does so much you simply cannot focus your D on Tyler.
Luckily, he figured out the free throws tonight. I was as shocked as I was happy for him.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

craigoscarson wrote:

Haws has maximized his potential. He should be able to make some money in Europe with his scoring ability.

I agree KC has NBA potential but I don't see very much Ginobili in his game. A little like Evan Turner maybe? A poor man's Jason Kidd? KC is/will be a power guard/forward with a suspect jumper. If he can show the ability to guard quick NBA guards-- so he could play some PG he would consider for the lottery. The NBA loves big point guards.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BYU now has 23 wins. I do not expect BYU to win tonight. They could. They might. Data indicates that Gonzaga is better on a neutral court and the Zags got their wake-up call vs Santa Clara on Friday. They did not need to wear themselves out last night vs Saint Mary's and finished nearly 3 hours before BYU finished. Gonzaga will be fresher. Slightly better, too.

I hope BYU proves me wrong. Hopefully, vocal fans will not crucify any imperfect players or coaches.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Agree about being fresh. They were able to rest starters and we had to go to overtime. Hope for the best tonight.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If this was the third day in a row that our guys have been playing than fatigue would concern me. They are young and we'll conditioned.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

People keep comparing last nights game to the UNM game Jimmer's last year. The difference was, due to being down a player, that team played 6 guys total. BYU went 10 deep last night. They'll be fresher than we would think.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

craigoscarson wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Stanford has only lost to BYU. Beat Houston and gave them their first loss tonight.

Iowa State remains undefeated. We nearly beat them. This is our only loss.

Witchita State will be interesting. They are ranked right there with Gonzaga. Nice measuring stick and preparation opportunity. I am not ready to predict a win vs a legit Top 15 opponent. But I maintain a slim hope. But - sheesh - if we lose to a ranked team on essentially a home game for them - can we try to contain our whining?

We had 5 players in double figures again. Haws and Carlino both over 20. We have more weapons than we have had for a few years.

Anybody else willing to sign up for the Church of the 25+ Win Dance Season?
We're not going to make it to 25 regular season wins. We're a good team, but we're missing some pieces and we're relying on a ton of youth. Fortunately, our RPI is really good so our dance ticket is still possible.
got it right, though it doesn't make my decimated bracket look any better!

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

craigoscarson wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Stanford has only lost to BYU. Beat Houston and gave them their first loss tonight.

Iowa State remains undefeated. We nearly beat them. This is our only loss.

Witchita State will be interesting. They are ranked right there with Gonzaga. Nice measuring stick and preparation opportunity. I am not ready to predict a win vs a legit Top 15 opponent. But I maintain a slim hope. But - sheesh - if we lose to a ranked team on essentially a home game for them - can we try to contain our whining?

We had 5 players in double figures again. Haws and Carlino both over 20. We have more weapons than we have had for a few years.

Anybody else willing to sign up for the Church of the 25+ Win Dance Season?
We're not going to make it to 25 regular season wins. We're a good team, but we're missing some pieces and we're relying on a ton of youth. Fortunately, our RPI is really good so our dance ticket is still possible.
Church Doctrine specifically includes WCC Tournament games in the 25 wins. Are you still out or does that clarification reel you in?

I think I'm still out, but by a razor thin margin.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I waxed a little optimistic on the wins but was spot on about getting into the tournament but not advancing. We were 2 points away from 25 wins. Oregon. Portland.