BYU Cougars on the court.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rose Done?

Post by mizzoucoug »

Gunk wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:We were sucky before, rose to above average status, and are sinking back down to sucky and I guess that's okay...
We were sucky before Cleveland. He brought us out of the cellar and after faltering for a couple of seasons Rose took over. Given Rose had a 7 year streak at one point, I'd be willing to give 3 seasons without making the tourney.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Yeah, but then all the Lone Peak guys show up don't they? Next year we'll be bad again. So I think Rose will need to get the 2016 season in as well to see what he can do. The biggest problem is that he's just missed on recruiting since Jimmer. We have no big depth, and nobody can shoot 3's. Granted that's a pretty huge miss considering every team we have played this season does both of those better than BYU...

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

partially disagree. I think Rose has been a great recruiter considering he's at BYU.

Lone Peak crew may or may not be the answer, I think they'll be good though.

Jimmer was a once in a million type player who just happened to receive no big offers other than BYU and it worked out great for both parties.

This has been the most difficult schedule I've seen BYU play. There is a lot of youth on this team and some horrible FT shooters. We'll see if the FTs improve, but that's really the difference of being a top 15 team at this point and where BYU is now.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Knew something was off: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/57 ... u.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rose wasn't fully recovered at the start of the season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Terry Nashif is the guy being groomed as the heir-apparent....be careful what you wish for.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

snoscythe wrote:Terry Nashif is the guy being groomed as the heir-apparent....be careful what you wish for.
Terry (aka Frodo)? You can't be serious.

I'm not wishing Rose to hang up his whistle. Just noticed things seemed a bit off at the beginning of the season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

thought the same when I read that article. A stellar survivor, for sure! My only solace is that now he has some recovery time to rest bc the recruiting hopper is full and brimming. Hope he gets some quality rest and recovery time.
My other solace is that with a lot of great recruits on the horizon, is that he wants to stay at least to the end of contract.
No way Terry gets the job. I hope. Maybe hes decent at X's and O's--i have no clue. But I wouldnt think he is much of a recruiter. he cant see over the coffee table when visiting with parents.
Would Dave Rice come back? Would he be any good? Seems like he would be better than TN.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think we also need to pause a moment and remember that a lot of the current personnel issue on the hoops squad are a by-product of the missionary age change. Rose doesn't have the benefit of a 85-player roster to patch things up. It may take the program a couple more years to re-stabilize, regardless of the coach.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Rose was probably impacted by it. And even so - made the Dance and won some big games.

Seriously folks. How many times since 1970 has BYU done better than 1 and done NCAA - not counting Dave Rose?

Look 40 miles North. How many coaches did they go through after Majerus?

Dave Rose gets BYU to the Dance as often as anyone is going to get us there.

What we are seeing is a drop in talent and experience. A double whammy post Jimmer. We did not just drop back to normal. We dropped below normal and are now working back up to Normal.

Jimmer was an anomaly. Emery was better than normal. Throw in a Davies and a Hartsock and that was unusual talent. Did I mention Charles Abouo, Kyle Collinsworth, and Anson Winder. Talent.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Cougarbib on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote:Terry Nashif is the guy being groomed as the heir-apparent....be careful what you wish for.
Also, Jaime Hill will allow Bronco to step down as DC, and Brandon Doman will take over for Mendenhall as head coach eventually...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars