The Scholarship Crunch Dilemma

BYU Cougars on the court.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The Scholarship Crunch Dilemma

Post by Brayden Green »

I dont how you can watch the Gonzaga game and say that he is the worst defender on the team. He played much much better defense than winder in his limited minutes. Winder was constantly getting beat and reaching from behind and Halford kept everyone in front of him. I wonder how that means "worst defense" on the team? Give credit where it is due, at least

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Assuming red-shirts consume a scholarship, using a schollie for a year waiting for transfers to be eligible hurts or for medical redshirts. Also player development or mission leg recovery redshirts. Can't afford to do so much of this - unless they do not consume a schollie. I think they do. Anyone know for sure?

I suggest that every player be told that we will have a FT shooting contest in August by group with a quota of needed players for each group. Guards. Other. Choose scholarships based on FT shooting. The contest should utilize the ROC behind the basket and other noise and distractions and should be taken 1 and 1 with players rotating over and over so they do not just get 100 in a row.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Qman wrote:I wonder if one of guys would prefer to be on the team and just become a non-scholarship player? Ideally Sharp.
Don't drop Sharp's schollie. He gave us this beauty:

Needless to say, rumors of Sharp's transfer did not make new Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak a very happy camper. Last Friday, Krystkowiak released a statement accusing BYU of "taking advantage of a loophole" by recruiting Sharp while he was away on mission:

"It is my understanding that there is an unwritten rule that players cannot be recruited by other schools while they are serving missions. To do so is not only inappropriate, but it creates an atmosphere of ill will," Krystkowiak continued. "We hope that Josh returns to our team and wants to be part of what we are building here, but regardless of what happens, we remain strongly committed to recruiting the best players in the state of Utah."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... byu-oh-boy

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Great summation Mars.

I say put them all on the free throw line and whoever is best at 100 shots stays and who is not walks. (Only slightly TIC ;) )

It's going to be a tough decision and process and I really do hate to see any of them go because they've all had their moments...But...I'd rather win than have a repeat of this season and we have room for improvement and only tough decisions will get us there.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Mars wrote: There are 7 Juniors on the team. Of the seven Jrs, 5 are Guards: Carlino, Fischer, Halford, Haws, and Winder... Bartley, Carlino, Halford, Winder. I think there's only room for 3 of them on the team next season. Those guys are all 6-1 to 6-3. Expect Fischer, Haws, Collinsworth, and Aytes to get plenty of minutes next season... those guys are all 6-3 to 6-6. With Neilson/Worthington/Austin playing the 4/5 (PF/C), that doesn't leave a whole bunch of room for 4 back-up point guards...

Minutes played this season:
Carlino has 893 (4th most).

Worthington's height will be needed with Mika leaving. Winder has truly come into his own late in the season, and is proving to be a good defender. Bartley is a freshman. Could Carlino be unhappy enough to transfer? Carlino came to BYU in 2010 from UCLA.

Carlino is shooting 39% this season. 34% from 3, 68% free throw shooting.

Carlino has averaged 13.7 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 4.3 assists in 27.1 minutes per game (2013-14).
Question, answered. Crunch, solved. Unless BYU decides to open up one more spot as well...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars