TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: just a random thought...

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:BYU doesn't need enforcers. They need shot makers. BYU has had all of ONE shot maker since Jimmer left - Haws. Rose has whiffed on EVERY shooter he's recruited since Haws. Everyone he's brought in to make outside shots has missed. Some so spectacularly they were gone within one season. Others just have never panned out. BYU has a desperate need for shooters and they keep missing on guys. Until that changes the Cougars will struggle.

We have a roster full of guys who can't shoot (Halford, Winder, Carlino, Collinsworth) and guyis who are afraid to shoot (Sharp, Austin) that's too many guys who can't be counted on on the offensive end.
Defense is our problem not offense. We need enforcers in the paint.

It'd be nice if our guards made better offensive decisions, but we can score. We led the nation in getting to the ft line and were at the top in ftm. We were in the top 15% in scoring offense.

Defense, defense, defense...
Could tag line suggestion. Replace a symbol of negativity with one of positivity. I would not agree with either tagline, but the Carlin one is not an offensive one.

Agreed with Craig. We need players that can defend man, and forwards/centers that can body slam (or block, even better) players that drive to the hole.

The zone defense is dead. Sharp isn't going to get time at SF and he van't be relied on at PF. Our bigs next year are a huge question mark. Who isn't a question mark is Carlino get serious minutes at point, and Haws at either SG or SF. Load the roster with big men that can stop drivers and give fouls. Play man defense. Having 5 big men that can board and foul and playing man defense only gives us 5 more wins this year.
I think you should change your tagline from Anae to "Carlino is the Guy." Credit you for being so faithful to him. He has a role and BYU needs him desperately. But if he can't bring a consistency and not quintessential Carlino, he will go out his Sr year as not having accomplished everything he could. But then again, so also will KC if he doesn't improve his jump shot. And there is still something left for Tyler. From the other thread, maybe its Tyler leading this team to wins. Throw in Austin getting his offensive game back on and all four taking their game to the next level, plug in another big--if Rose can find one, and this team could be really good. But, if each stands still, we will have another year with hardly tolerable zone D and have outscore teams--which has a half life.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Great Tag line suggestion. Replace an offensive, negative, derogatory one with a positive one. I would not agree with either one, yet, but the Carlino one is positive - not derogatory.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Unless you are as sarcastic as I am.

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

craigoscarson wrote:
beauso79 wrote:Hypothetical situation: lets say that Carlino takes his ball and goes home and then KC isn't ready to start the season. Who is our starting PG until KC is ready?? Please don't say Halford........Chatman would be about our only other option besides Halford.

If you want read into Carlino's quote after the Oregon loss: ".....or all theses guys."

"It is tough to even think about not playing with this dude [Mika] or all these guys."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/57 ... s.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carlino isn't going anywhere... stop the madness

KC will be ready too

We still don't have a solid 4 to start the season
Let the Madness begin........really wish Carlino would have stayed. Who is our PG now??

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

beauso79 wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
beauso79 wrote:Hypothetical situation: lets say that Carlino takes his ball and goes home and then KC isn't ready to start the season. Who is our starting PG until KC is ready?? Please don't say Halford........Chatman would be about our only other option besides Halford.

If you want read into Carlino's quote after the Oregon loss: ".....or all theses guys."

"It is tough to even think about not playing with this dude [Mika] or all these guys."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/57 ... s.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KC will be ready too

Let the Madness begin........really wish Carlino would have stayed. Who is our PG now??
Well 1. I had no idea that Carlino was a june grad.. I had assumed that he would be out of his mind to try to transfer and sit out another year but he can move straight on ... which probably makes sense since he could go somewhere that desperately needs a pg but is set up everywhere else.

2. KC is our pg and Winder will likely be his backup

3. This opens the door for Bartley to get major minutes if he improves over the summer. I'd be much more unhappy if we lost Bartley simply due to his ceiling and athleticism.

4. Matt Carlino has transferred between 3 high schools and committed to and/or played for 3 colleges with 4 to come... I would never hire a guy like this to work for me.

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

craigoscarson wrote:
beauso79 wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:

KC will be ready too

Well 1. I had no idea that Carlino was a june grad.. I had assumed that he would be out of his mind to try to transfer and sit out another year but he can move straight on ... which probably makes sense since he could go somewhere that desperately needs a pg but is set up everywhere else.

2. KC is our pg and Winder will likely be his backup

3. This opens the door for Bartley to get major minutes if he improves over the summer. I'd be much more unhappy if we lost Bartley simply due to his ceiling and athleticism.

4. Matt Carlino has transferred between 3 high schools and committed to and/or played for 3 colleges with 4 to come... I would never hire a guy like this to work for me.
On the Bartley note......I believe Rose had stated recently that Bartley was playing out of position and that he would be moved to the 1-2. Well the door has been left wide open now......I still hope we can add PF Kyle Davis from USU somehow

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

So, with KC at starting pg it is safe to assume that we wont be playing man defense at any time next year... Which is a bummer. I wanted to win some games in the WCC next year.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

BlueIsBetter wrote:So, with KC at starting pg it is safe to assume that we wont be playing man defense at any time next year... Which is a bummer. I wanted to win some games in the WCC next year.
Why? Unless his knee injury slows him way down KC can guard several positions man to man.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

BlueIsBetter wrote:So, with KC at starting pg it is safe to assume that we wont be playing man defense at any time next year... Which is a bummer. I wanted to win some games in the WCC next year.
If you have Bartley, Winder on the floor, they can guard the point no problem and KC can guard the 3.

There is no rule about point guards being required to guard point guards.

And since when could Matt Carlino stay in front of a really good point guard?

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

BYU plays zone as part of who they are. When we were starting Haws and Halford last year, the team had to play zone. Carlino was a good defender. Bartley has the skill set to be a better defender.

To play man next year, opponents will have to have a player that Haws can hide against. Jimmer was a better defender than Haws.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

craigoscarson wrote:
If you have Bartley, Winder on the floor, they can guard the point no problem and KC can guard the 3.

There is no rule about point guards being required to guard point guards.

And since when could Matt Carlino stay in front of a really good point guard?
Sure, there is no rule about that. So walk me through this: if you are starting - for the sake of argument...

pg - KColl
sg - Haws (or Bartley or Winder)
sf - Bartley (or WInder or Haws)
pf - Austin (or Aytes)
c - Nielsen (or Austin)

Precursor to #1 - Is Kcoll even going to be healthy enough for start of the year?
#1 - Who is going to guard the point in man defense?
#2 - Who is going to break the press in late game situations?
#3 - Who is going to pass the ball?
#4 - Who is going to score when Haws is being pressure defended and focused on?
#5 - Who is going to push the ball up the court in the full tempo offense?

Unless we get some MAJOR contributions from unexpected sources (Fischer at the 3pt line, Aytes, and/or Chattman) then this team just became a 15 win team next year with the loss of Mika and Carlino.

You take a shot at Carlino, but he was our best man defender hands down (with the possible exception of Josh Sharp at the small forward position, which he rarely played at). Carlino kept in front of point guards he was guarding the majority of the time in man defense. WInder, however, cannot guard D1 level point guards without fouling at an unsustainable rate. He is too slow laterally to keep in front of point guards. He does the "Ole" defense - which is to let your guy past you, and then swipe at them from behind." Watch the last 2-3 games of the season if you don't believe me. He is the smaller version of Nate Austin, who also can't guard big men one to one, and gets a lot of his fouls trying to block from behind. You don't just replace someone that is 6th all time in steals with a year left to play on defense with a bunch of bench talent. His 7th all time in assists won't be replaced by anyone else either.

Big, big trouble. THere is a hurricane headed this way next season with this announcement. Rose made a big mistake with his lineup, once again this year. I hope the new guys coming in make a big splash, we won't even go to the NIT without contributions from them, and we sure as hell won't be dancing unless they can collectively contribute on a major level. I hope they do. I think Rose is a good coach, but I think he makes mistakes, and this is one of them. I don't think we would be making these mistakes if Rice were here to help him.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: