Oregon

BYU Cougars on the court.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Oregon

Post by Brayden Green »

Yes to all the Carlino stuff. He wasn't great, but no one on BYU was. I liked that he didn't quit and kept trying, and actually gave us a chance. There was no one on the court that worked harder than Carlino wearing a BYU jersey yesterday, with the possible exception of Mika.

The zone defense is just miserable, and got exposed for what it is. That is why we lost. Carlino got us to 3 points down with 12 minutes to go. 3 minutes later we were down 12. That is down to a mixture of the zone, poor coaching adjustment and recognition, and not having enough quality players wearing blue, which the injury of Collinsworth certainly affected. I don't think that if Carlino or Haws played a perfect game, or if Rose coached a perfect game we would still have won that game. We just didn't have the personnel with KColl out, and their bench took our bench to the woodshed and hurt them bad.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Yes to all the Carlino stuff. He wasn't great, but no one on BYU was. I liked that he didn't quit and kept trying, and actually gave us a chance. There was no one on the court that worked harder than Carlino wearing a BYU jersey yesterday, with the possible exception of Mika.

The zone defense is just miserable, and got exposed for what it is. That is why we lost. Carlino got us to 3 points down with 12 minutes to go. 3 minutes later we were down 12. That is down to a mixture of the zone, poor coaching adjustment and recognition, and not having enough quality players wearing blue, which the injury of Collinsworth certainly affected. I don't think that if Carlino or Haws played a perfect game, or if Rose coached a perfect game we would still have won that game. We just didn't have the personnel with KColl out, and their bench took our bench to the woodshed and hurt them bad.
+1

Defense was absolutely horrible. I hope Rose gets rid of the zone. At the very least, I hope they all study up on how to play the zone. Rotations are bad. Huge pockets (baseline and side corners). It's bad.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Rose really needs to scrap the zone. This was the second year in a row that the zone defense was just awful.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Do you really think BYU plays man defense well against good opponents?

Oregon played over 30 games this year. They averaged over 80 points a game. They are a very good offensive team.

What I think is a more interesting point to ponder is why BYU scored so far under our own average and under what Oregon allows on average vs an Oregon team not known for defense. That was the surprise.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Because our issues on offense. We were forced to play guys who have no interest in playing offense so teams could double multiple players.

When Austin and Sharp on the floor together, teams could double Haws and STILL have a guy to float and help wherever the ball went.

BYU can't play players who are afraid of the ball on offense.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

In the second half of the Gonzaga game, and for the entire Oregon game, BYU needed points, needed a lot of them, and needed them in a hurry.

I don't understand why BYU fans are upset that Carlino tried to do that. Who did they expect to try and step up and get us back in the Gonzaga game and replace KC's scoring against Oregon? Frank Bartley?

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

snoscythe wrote:In the second half of the Gonzaga game, and for the entire Oregon game, BYU needed points, needed a lot of them, and needed them in a hurry.

I don't understand why BYU fans are upset that Carlino tried to do that. Who did they expect to try and step up and get us back in the Gonzaga game and replace KC's scoring against Oregon? Frank Bartley?
This.

And it's been this way almost the entire season. At the beginning of the season, who other than Haws was going to score the ball? Austin? Nope. Mika? Good for a few. KC? Took him a bit to get his legs and scoring back. So right from the get go Haws and MC were relied on to score the ball.

KC got hot and Winder got hoy at the end of the season, minus the last two games. But in all seriousness, we played 3 on 5 when on offense against Oregon.

We desperately need a 2 that can knick down 3s and stretch the defense and 4 or 5 that can keep defenses honest in the middle. We didn't really have either of those pieces this year.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:In the second half of the Gonzaga game, and for the entire Oregon game, BYU needed points, needed a lot of them, and needed them in a hurry.

I never got upset that Carlino tried to score, I got upset that he tried to score from 6 feet beyond the arc.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: I never got upset that Carlino tried to score, I got upset that he tried to score from 6 feet beyond the arc.
Or when he sprints down the court, dribbles straight into 3 defenders, and then lobs up an ugly shot that barely gets near the basket, all about 4 seconds into the shot clock and without a single pass. That's dumb basketball.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:
hawkwing wrote: I never got upset that Carlino tried to score, I got upset that he tried to score from 6 feet beyond the arc.
Or when he sprints down the court, dribbles straight into 3 defenders, and then lobs up an ugly shot that barely gets near the basket, all about 4 seconds into the shot clock and without a single pass. That's dumb basketball.
Yep.