Jabari would have had a better year with us

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Jabari would have had a better year with us

Post by craigoscarson »

Considering how Jabari went out, is there anyone that believes he wouldn't have accomplished more at BYU? We needed a stretch 4, Duke needed guards... He made the wrong basketball decision. Consider what we did without him... consider what we would have accomplished with him.

Hypothetically what would we have accomplished with him starting at the 4?

I think you could make a good argument for better than what Duke accomplished.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Jabari would have had a better year with us

Post by mizzoucoug »

That's a scary thought actually. I think we probably lose 2 or 3 games at most with Jabari. At any given time we have at best 1.5 shooters on the floor (Haws + another guard who can kind of shoot). To add a 4 with range would make us very hard to beat.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Duke had him playing out of position all year. Coach K did something I've never seen him do before to get a recruit: basically just turned the team over to him.

Jabari could have been much better had he gone to a coach that would challenge him instead of just turning him loose.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If you compare what his goals were according the the SI article that came out the other month, had he gone to BYU he would have gotten a lot closer in achieving them.
  • - He had a better chance of being POY at BYU. He wasn't even the ACC player of year. No doubt he would have been the WCC player of the year.
    - He had a better chance of playing multiple positions at BYU. Look at how Rose used KC.
    - Duke got no further than BYU did in the tournament as a 3 seed. He would have gotten further in the tournament at BYU.
    - And because he would have been a more dominant prolific player at BYU his draft stock would have been higher.
Hindsight is 20/20. Best of luck to you in the NBA, Jabari. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Gunk wrote:If you compare what his goals were according the the SI article that came out the other month, had he gone to BYU he would have gotten a lot closer in achieving them.
  • - He had a better chance of being POY at BYU. He wasn't even the ACC player of year. No doubt he would have been the WCC player of the year.
    - He had a better chance of playing multiple positions at BYU. Look at how Rose used KC.
    - Duke got no further than BYU did in the tournament as a 3 seed. He would have gotten further in the tournament at BYU.
    - And because he would have been a more dominant prolific player at BYU his draft stock would have been higher.
Hindsight is 20/20. Best of luck to you in the NBA, Jabari. Don't make the same mistake twice.
At worst, he'll be the 3rd player drafted in June. His draft stock is based more on if people think Wiggins (yes) and Embiid (probably not) will be better players than him.

Metal Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Metal Bubba »

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketba ... boy-dance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

This team with Jabari Parker would have been a legit final four team.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

One thing is for sure and it is we would've been so much better. Jabari would've filled a very big hole for us.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Disagree. Jabari would be one more player who does't play much defense at BYU. Even with revisionist history Duke was a better choice.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

mormonrasta wrote:Disagree. Jabari would be one more player who does't play much defense at BYU. Even with revisionist history Duke was a better choice.

wrong wrong wrong and this is why

He would still be a defensive and rebounding upgrade..
He still plays better defense than our current 4s and would have allowed us to flourish in the up tempo offense.

He's not a great defender... but looking at our schedule and our results and looking at Duke and their results; I firmly believe that BYU was the better basketball decision. In fact I think Coach K did Jabari no favors in giving him as much free reign as he had. He became a more undisciplined player as the season went on.

I'm not the one that said BYU would have been a final four team this year, but I do believe he would have been better set up for a deep run with our team the way it was constructed at the beginning of the seasons vs Duke. Duke has no guards; their perimeter offense is pitiful.. they were an all forward and mediocre guard team...

We were an all guard team needing a 4 so Mika and Austin didn't have to be on the court at the same time.

We win 30 games with Jabari... and yes this is of course all hypothetical but look at our schedule and the results... look at what made our team broken and would could have fixed that... heck I think with Jordan Loveridge we were a 5 seed and Jabari is at a different level than Loveridge.

Duke with Jabari will still a broken team... with Jabari BYU is a well put together squad.. Our glaring weakness is that position.. so what if we wouldn't be a top 10 defensive team because we would have been the #1 offense in the country... that's how badly we needed a solid 4 and Jabari is more than solid.

BTW I'm not saying that BYU with Jabari would have performed better than Duke did with Duke's schedule (though I wonder). What I'm saying is that Jabaris path to player of the year and playing on a team with a legit final four squad was better with BYU than with Duke. With Duke his team was still broken (no guards) and BYU was broken without a guy like JP and we still managed a very solid season.
Last edited by craigoscarson on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.