Jabari would have had a better year with us

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jabari would have had a better year with us

Post by craigoscarson »

A better decision than BYU would have been Michigan State and Izzo... They would have been terrifying with JP.

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

craigoscarson wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:Disagree. Jabari would be one more player who does't play much defense at BYU. Even with revisionist history Duke was a better choice.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
wrong wrong wrong and this is why

He would still be a defensive and rebounding upgrade..
He still plays better defense than our current 4s and would have allowed us to flourish in the up tempo offense.

He's not a great defender... but looking at our schedule and our results and looking at Duke and their results; I firmly believe that BYU was the better basketball decision. In fact I think Coach K did Jabari no favors in giving him as much free reign as he had. He became a more undisciplined player as the season went on.

I'm not the one that said BYU would have been a final four team this year, but I do believe he would have been better set up for a deep run with our team the way it was constructed at the beginning of the seasons vs Duke. Duke has no guards; their perimeter offense is pitiful.. they were an all forward and mediocre guard team...

We were an all guard team needing a 4 so Mika and Austin didn't have to be on the court at the same time.

We win 30 games with Jabari... and yes this is of course all hypothetical but look at our schedule and the results... look at what made our team broken and would could have fixed that... heck I think with Jordan Loveridge we were a 5 seed and Jabari is at a different level than Loveridge.

Duke with Jabari will still a broken team... with Jabari BYU is a well put together squad.. Our glaring weakness is that position.. so what if we wouldn't be a top 10 defensive team because we would have been the #1 offense in the country... that's how badly we needed a solid 4 and Jabari is more than solid.
You say Duke had a guard problem? Skylar Halford actually started for us, now THAT'S a guard problem. Sulaimon shot better from three than any BYU player who took at least 10 threes. Cook was outstanding this year. Duke had a depth problem particularly up front. Duke actually had only one credible big besides Jabari. They were too perimeter oriented this year and their D wasn't a typical Duke D.

No question we would have had a better season with him, but we wouldn't have been poised for deep tournament run. Our defensive issues would've still been at the forefront. I agree that MSU would have his best choice, but Duke gave him a better chance at a tourney run than BYU.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... quinn-cook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what you call outstanding?

Check out this box score
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400546817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cook had 5 points in 30 minutes and Suliamon had 2 in 23 minutes.

And I wonder how easy it would be to shoot 3 pointers if you had Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, and Amile Jefferson that can all put the ball on the floor and take it to the hole or stop and pop for a J anywhere inside the perimeter.

If you compared Anson Winders minutes per game performance vs Duke guards... Anson wins out.

Compare Carlinos numbers to any Duke guard
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... tt-carlino" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and do we really want to bother to compare any Duke guard to Tyler Haws
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... tyler-haws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or our starting point guard for the majority of the season?
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... llinsworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know you're a Arizona hoops fan > BYU hoops but go back and watch the Duke/Virginia game... (curious how you felt when Jimmer owned them)

You are crazy if you'd rather have Cook, Suliamon, Dawkins, and Thornton over Carlino, Haws, Collinsworth, and Winder.. it's not even a contest

oh and the sad thing is that Dukes guards aren't even better defenders...

"BUT IT'S DUKE AND IT'S ACC!!! THEY'RE BETTER BECAUSE THEY'RE DUKE AND THEY'RE ON NATIONAL TV" nope.....

The argument is Duke the way they're built now vs BYU the way they're built now PLUS Jabari...

I'll be more than happy to take my chances with the Jabari led BYU team over the Jabari led Duke team.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Here's another way to look at it.

Remove Jabari from both teams. No Jabari for Duke, no Jabari for BYU.

And even though BYU's greatest weakness is at the stretch 4. We would beat a Jabari-less Duke more than they would beat us. That's how much he meant to them.

BYU vs Duke minus Jabari... (anyone still picking Duke?)

Duke minus Jabari would not beat USF.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Have to agree with Craig (not that that is hard to do).

Rasta suffers from Duke-itis just like ALOT of folks who picked them in their brackets to make elite eight or Even final four. Saw a national pundit pick them as NC. What a joke. Duke-itis, blue-goggled, Coach K is deity kinda folks.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

craigoscarson wrote:Here's another way to look at it.

And even though BYU's greatest weakness is at the stretch 4. We would beat a Jabari-less Duke more than they would beat us. That's how much he meant to them.

The thing you're overlooking about Jabari is Jabari himself. He plays such a huge role for Duke ( and would have for Byu as well) that if he happens to play poorly the whole ship goes down with him. That is exactly what happened in the tournament this year. Jabari went 4-14 and might have been the worst defender on the floor vs. Mercer. That terrible Duke guard line in that game scored 49 points on 15-33 shooting with 8 assists and 3 turnovers. The guards didn't fail Jabari. Jabari failed himself. If byu had Jabari and was a 3 seed, the same thing likely would have happened.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

mormonrasta wrote:

The thing you're overlooking about Jabari is Jabari himself. He plays such a huge role for Duke ( and would have for Byu as well) that if he happens to play poorly the whole ship goes down with him. That is exactly what happened in the tournament this year. Jabari went 4-14 and might have been the worst defender on the floor vs. Mercer. That terrible Duke guard line in that game scored 49 points on 15-33 shooting with 8 assists and 3 turnovers. The guards didn't fail Jabari. Jabari failed himself. If byu had Jabari and was a 3 seed, the same thing likely would have happened.

I think Coach K failed Jabari.

And that Duke guard line did that vs Mercer (a team Tennessee just dominated)

Look what they did vs Virginia.. and look what they did throughout the entire year.

BYU without Jabari could have beaten Mercer, so why in the world would have it been all on Jabaris shoulders if we had him?

I think after seeing Stanford, Wichita State, Iowa State, and Texas (even Weber State) this week that BYU (without Jabari) would be getting some credit.

BYU is a team that desperately needed a stretch 4... can't think of a better one for BYU than Jabari.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

craigoscarson wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:

I think Coach K failed Jabari.

And that Duke guard line did that vs Mercer (a team Tennessee just dominated)

Look what they did vs Virginia.. and look what they did throughout the entire year.

BYU without Jabari could have beaten Mercer, so why in the world would have it been all on Jabaris shoulders if we had him?

I think after seeing Stanford, Wichita State, Iowa State, and Texas (even Weber State) this week that BYU (without Jabari) would be getting some credit.

BYU is a team that desperately needed a stretch 4... can't think of a better one for BYU than Jabari.
Woulda, shoulda, coulda...BUT..

Jabari would have been a game changer/season changer for BYU, no doubt, and I doubt it would have changed his daft status.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

I've argued this in other threads. I think we make a deep run with JP provided we don't lose KC. JP would not have been used the same as at Duke. He would have been on a team and not expected to carry that team all year long. And with him I think we win the following
Iowa St
Oregon
LMU
Pepperdine
Portland
Pacific

Very possible different outcomes
Witchata St
GU 2x
Utah
Hamas. Stupid auto correct LOL. UMass

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Even just the six games you think we win, that puts us at 27-4 going into the WCC tournament. That would have made us the WCC regular season champs. Who knows, maybe we win the WCC tourney as well. So now we're 30-4 and likely in the top 10. There's a good chance we're a 3 or a 4 seed.

Of course, given the tournament this year, I'd rather be a 4 seed (all of them still alive) than a 3 seed (only one still alive).

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!