Rice Leaving UNLV

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rice Leaving UNLV

Post by Gunk »

You can probably see in the Twitter feed that the rumors are Dave Rice is leaving UNLV and going to University of South Florida - not be confused with the other USF.

This will have big ramifications for UNLV, obviously. May be a chance for Rose to pick up a new recruit or two. UNLV had a Top 5 recruiting class coming in. You can bet it will no longer be Top 5.

Have to say I am surprised, as I thought coaching at UNLV was Rice's dream job. A $1.2 million per year salary makes a pretty compelling case.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Rice Leaving UNLV

Post by scott715 »

I heard about the offer, did not hear if he accepted it. That's a lot of money, hard to turn down.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

Gunk wrote:You can probably see in the Twitter feed that the rumors are Dave Rice is leaving UNLV and going to University of South Florida - not be confused with the other USF.

This will have big ramifications for UNLV, obviously. May be a chance for Rose to pick up a new recruit or two. UNLV had a Top 5 recruiting class coming in. You can bet it will no longer be Top 5.

Have to say I am surprised, as I thought coaching at UNLV was Rice's dream job. A $1.2 million per year salary makes a pretty compelling case.
And chance in Hades we land one of their prospects?

BYUNLVFAN
Recruit

Post by BYUNLVFAN »

Rice isn't leaving UNLV. He's using the USF offer as leverage to negotiate a longer deal with the UNLV admin for security for his family among a few smaller details.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I would think UNLV could be competitive with USF on coaching compensation.

How happy are UNLV fans with Rice? He has recruited well, but under delivered on the court. Time and player experience may fix that problem. How patient are UNLV fans?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

He's Steve Cleveland. Great guy, decent coach. He can leave for a different job, or eventually he will be fired. Mediocre for an extended period results in job loss.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Now the news is that he is not leaving UNLV. Maybe just leveraging the So.Fla. offer into a better deal in Vegas?

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

He's smart to leverage another position right now for better contract terms with UNLV, because he has been increasingly unpopular this season. Fans around here are losing their patience. They see very good signing classes/players coming to UNLV, turnover or leaving of other players, and only a mediocre team as a result. Seems like most fans put the blame on Rice. Uproar this year was noticeable, but next year if performance is similar, there is no doubt fans will put up a lot more fight to have Rice replaced. Either he performs well next year or he has a nice new contract to fall back on.

I think the transfer of Doolin from USF will be a surprisingly calming and unifying force on this team. He is a tough, hard working player that finds ways to be successful and make players around him better. UNLV will be very good next year and a Rice's job will be safe again.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

"Dave Rice staying at UNLV"

UNLV coach Dave Rice no longer is a candidate for the South Florida job, sources told ESPN.

Rice met with new USF athletic director Mark Harlan in Tampa on Friday, sources told ESPN. Rice flew back to Las Vegas on Friday and was scheduled to meet with UNLV athletic director Tina Kunzer-Murphy.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... rida-bulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;