Rethinking our likely rotations without Carlino

Post by Qman »

So my guess is this will be our rotation

KC 23/Winder 10/Halford 7
Winder 10/Bartley 13/Fischer 17
Haws 33/ Bartley 7
Aytes 20/Austin 10/KC 10
Austin 20/Worthington 20

So our main guys will be KC, Haws and Austin all with 30 minutes plus a game. Until we can see Chatman, Andrus and Nielson I left them out of the rotation. I am guessing that Aytes is good enough to seize the main PF role. I suppose that Worthington could improve a lot and take the starting center role over.

I think we have some depth at every position but PG. We have a bunch of guards but only KC has a point guard mentality. I worry about his team being pressed. On the bright size we should have some big man depth once one of the younger bigs emerge.

On the whole as long of KC, Haws and Austin stay healthy we should be pretty good. (I view Austin as really important for his rebounding and keep opponents away from the rim.) NCAA bound? I wonder.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rethinking our likely rotations without Carlino

Post by rblack »

Bartley played some point in HS. Not sure how it would work out but, it's a possibility.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

KC is serviceable at point.

Winder played PG as a freshman before MC took over. Would prefer to see Winder at PG before we see Bartley at PG.

I think Fischer may creep up in the rotation a bit more.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Gunk wrote:KC is serviceable at point.

Winder played PG as a freshman before MC took over. Would prefer to see Winder at PG before we see Bartley at PG.

I think Fischer may creep up in the rotation a bit more.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bartley at point guard? Maybe he played there in HS but haven't seen any passing instincts from him.

Winder is a reasonable backup PG because he can handle the ball enough to get it up court and into a set. However someone else has to create offense. Either we need a really disciplined good offense or for a player to emerge as a serious post threat.

Basically who do opposing defenses worry about: Haws and KC on the drive and on the boards. Not Austin. Not Winder. Not Sharp. Not Worthington. Not Halford. Maybe Aytes, Andrus, Bartley, Chatman or Fisher. The Maui Invitational could be brutal for us.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think Fischer is going to have to play a big role for us next year.

I'm not counting on anything from KC at this point.

Winder will have to pick up his game again, but I think as a SR he'll be ready for that.

I also think we're going to need either Aytes or Nielsen to come in and provide some post scoring because we know we're getting it from anyone else currently on the roster.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We already have a pretty good schedule next year. Those games including the Maui were a chance for him to shine if he stayed. Not sure he will find a better opportunity except more PT.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I have said on other threads. We are screwed even if KColl is healthy this is a 15 win team without MAJOR contributions from the incoming transfers (Chatmman, Fischer and Aytes).

Without a healthy KColl or no KColl at all, this might not even be a 15 win team.

Rose went all in and played his hand and it is going to end up costing him a LOT of chips. He should have started Carlino 2 games after benching him, when it became clear that Carlino got the message to pass more and shoot less. Expect more zone, and less passing/assists from us. Yikes! You don't just replace your schools 7th leader all time in assists, with a year left to play, and 6th leader all time in steals, with the bench and expect to come out of it ok.

We are in big, big, trouble. It's okay to admit it. We don't have a true point guard on the roster right now, and we won't have one that isn't coming off of a mission or surgery for the opener.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BlueIsBetter wrote:I have said on other threads. We are screwed even if KColl is healthy this is a 15 win team without MAJOR contributions from the incoming transfers (Chatmman, Fischer and Aytes).

Without a healthy KColl or no KColl at all, this might not even be a 15 win team.

Rose went all in and played his hand and it is going to end up costing him a LOT of chips. He should have started Carlino 2 games after benching him, when it became clear that Carlino got the message to pass more and shoot less. Expect more zone, and less passing/assists from us. Yikes!
I expect an important contribution from Aytes; not sure how much we will get right away from Chatman and Fisher. That said, this will be a better team than the 15 wins you project. I guess we will see....

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BoiseBYU wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:I have said on other threads. We are screwed even if KColl is healthy this is a 15 win team without MAJOR contributions from the incoming transfers (Chatmman, Fischer and Aytes).

Rose went all in and played his hand and it is going to end up costing him a LOT of chips. He should have started Carlino 2 games after benching him, when it became clear that Carlino got the message to pass more and shoot less. Expect more zone, and less passing/assists from us. Yikes! You don't just replace your schools 7th leader all time in assists, with a year left to play, and 6th leader all time in steals, with the bench and expect to come out of it ok.

We are in big, big, trouble. It's okay to admit it. We don't have a true point guard on the roster right now, and we won't have one that isn't coming off of a mission or surgery for the opener..
I expect an important contribution from Aytes; not sure how much we will get right away from Chatman and Fisher. That said, this will be a better team than the 15 wins you project. I guess we will see....
Our schedule is just about as hard this next year as last years was. Take away Carlino and Mika this year. Do we even get to 12 wins? I think the added depth of FIscher, Aytes and Nielsen *could* get us to 15 on it's own, because we are in the weak WCC, but without one of them taking on a MAJOR scoring and/or passing role, I just don't see it. Besides Haws and Kcoll, Carlino was the ONE player that we needed back next year. Now we might not have Kcoll OR Carlino. We will have to see how everything plays out, but I don't see it playing out well. Not well at all.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

Go watch videos of Jordan Chatman in high school......he reminds me a little of Wilbiken(SP?) from FL. He should help the guard line quite a bit