BYU will be a great team next year

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU will be a great team next year

Post by Gunk »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Not sure how this was BYUs to win. They trailed the whole game except to tie at the end. But I guess.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
We shot just above 50% from the free-throw line during regulation.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Brayden Green wrote:How do you figure that *guard*, and more specifically, POINT GUARD is the position that byu could afford most to lose a player?

Not attacking, honestly asking.

And I don't think we will be a great team (25+ wins). I don't even think we will be a **good** team (20+ wins). I think that we will be lucky to be an average team (14+ wins) and that most of those wins will come from the bottom rungs of a bad WCC. The only caveat here is if Fischer and/or Chattman can combine to give us what we lose with Matt transferring.

I would be happy to be wrong, but I am willing to put a bet of a good steak dinner on not being wrong.
When do I collect on this dinner?

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

craigoscarson wrote:I'll take that bet

If KC isn't ready to go and doesn't go... we still win more than 15 games (not many more)... we might not beat anyone away from home though

Tyler Haws is not chopped liver and we bring back an experienced squad... they wouldn't be dominant by any means but we'd still win 15 games...

it's all a moot point if KC returns healthy and on time then 15 is guaranteed and the real question will be NCAA vs NIT and that comes down to how well the young guys grow up and fit in
NCAA vs NIT based on how well the young guys grow up and fit in.... nailed it

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Brayden Green wrote:Steak or burger? I guess I said two things... It might have to be a Five Guys burger, because we don't have that out here, and I am missing it. They have In n Out which in my opinion isn't as good. (That is a thread all on it's own :) )

I know Haws isn't chopped liver, but if Kcoll can't go he is now the only focus for the other team, rather than worrying about Haws, Mika, Kcoll AND Carlino in game prep. There won't be anyone to get Haws the ball. No one has the court vision that Carlino did. Half of the reason that Haws got the ball in open space to shoot last year was because Carlino could read the ball screens and put the ball out there before Haws even got freed. There isn't anyone on the team that will have the basketball intelligence and passing to do that next year.

So I guess we would need to decided which phase of the bet we are betting on, because I threw 3 topics out there. I want to clarify this very CLEARLY, because if I don't then people like Cougarbib (whom I have on ignore, and never, ever view his topics) will come in and claim that I was stating something that I wasn't etc etc.)

My 3 points were:
- We don't get to 25+ wins no matter what (Great team status)
- We don't get to 20 wins without great contribution from the new guys, to replace what we are losing (not sure how to quantify this for the specifics of a bet).
- If Kcoll doesn't play major minutes, we don't win 15 games (without a Herculean effort from Aytes or Austin or Fischer or Chatman)
btw where is cougarbib? did I miss something?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Collinsworth is such a better PG than Carlino, it's not even close. We were lucky to have him and THaws playing together. It made the season special, when it otherwise would have been average at best.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

hawkwing wrote:Collinsworth is such a better PG than Carlino, it's not even close. We were lucky to have him and THaws playing together. It made the season special, when it otherwise would have been average at best.
Collinsworth is a matchup nightmare. He might not be the prototypical point guard (neither was Jimmer) but it is so difficult to defend him and hard to plan for him because he can defend several spots and play several spots on O.

If he develops a jump shot, he'll be in the NBA for a long time. If not, he's still going to direct traffic for a pretty solid team next year.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

craigoscarson wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Steak or burger? I guess I said two things... It might have to be a Five Guys burger, because we don't have that out here, and I am missing it. They have In n Out which in my opinion isn't as good. (That is a thread all on it's own :) )

I know Haws isn't chopped liver, but if Kcoll can't go he is now the only focus for the other team, rather than worrying about Haws, Mika, Kcoll AND Carlino in game prep. There won't be anyone to get Haws the ball. No one has the court vision that Carlino did. Half of the reason that Haws got the ball in open space to shoot last year was because Carlino could read the ball screens and put the ball out there before Haws even got freed. There isn't anyone on the team that will have the basketball intelligence and passing to do that next year.

So I guess we would need to decided which phase of the bet we are betting on, because I threw 3 topics out there. I want to clarify this very CLEARLY, because if I don't then people like Cougarbib (whom I have on ignore, and never, ever view his topics) will come in and claim that I was stating something that I wasn't etc etc.)

My 3 points were:
- We don't get to 25+ wins no matter what (Great team status)
- We don't get to 20 wins without great contribution from the new guys, to replace what we are losing (not sure how to quantify this for the specifics of a bet).
- If Kcoll doesn't play major minutes, we don't win 15 games (without a Herculean effort from Aytes or Austin or Fischer or Chatman)
btw where is cougarbib? did I miss something?
I have been wondering the same thing. Bib and MizzouCoug are AWOL. Always enjoyed their input and banter.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

craigoscarson wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:How do you figure that *guard*, and more specifically, POINT GUARD is the position that byu could afford most to lose a player?

And I don't think we will be a great team (25+ wins). I don't even think we will be a **good** team (20+ wins). I think that we will be lucky to be an average team (14+ wins) and that most of those wins will come from the bottom rungs of a bad WCC. The only caveat here is if Fischer and/or Chattman can combine to give us what we lose with Matt transferring.

I would be happy to be wrong, but I am willing to put a bet of a good steak dinner on not being wrong.
Anytime :) I'm not paying for dessert though, because the real treat was watching KCOLL coming back from injury quickly and strong ;)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

Brayden Green wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:

Anytime :) I'm not paying for dessert though, because the real treat was watching KCOLL coming back from injury quickly and strong ;)

Amen!

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

craigoscarson wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Collinsworth is such a better PG than Carlino, it's not even close. We were lucky to have him and THaws playing together. It made the season special, when it otherwise would have been average at best.
Collinsworth is a matchup nightmare. He might not be the prototypical point guard (neither was Jimmer) but it is so difficult to defend him and hard to plan for him because he can defend several spots and play several spots on O.

If he develops a jump shot, he'll be in the NBA for a long time. If not, he's still going to direct traffic for a pretty solid team next year.
Matchup nightmare is very descriptive of KC. I watched the highlights which showed how hard a time Gonzaga had with him on both offense and defense. It wasn't just him, several guys had very good to great games. The team had a great game and if Haws had had an average game we'd have won by at least 6 points. I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 teams in the country that could have done what BYU did. This game shows that "BYU will be a great teasm next year".