BYU Cougars on the court.
rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU will be a great team next year

Post by rblack »

Even without Carlino.
I will miss Carlino, however, I think he did BYU a favor. Guard is the position that BYU could most afford to lose a player.
The single factor that hurt BYU all year was the lack of enough quality big men. Once the two starters went out due to foul trouble (and they almost always did), BYU was forced to play 4 guards and a raw freshman, which worked well enough in most games, however, it cost us several games this year.
Next year, BYU will have more players to throw at the 4 and 5, this will keep them in games longer.
BYU will have multiple senior leaders, they will miss Carlino, however, in reality, BYU gains more by having stronger post players than it loses by losing him.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU will be a great team next year

Post by Brayden Green »

How do you figure that *guard*, and more specifically, POINT GUARD is the position that byu could afford most to lose a player?

Not attacking, honestly asking.

And I don't think we will be a great team (25+ wins). I don't even think we will be a **good** team (20+ wins). I think that we will be lucky to be an average team (14+ wins) and that most of those wins will come from the bottom rungs of a bad WCC. The only caveat here is if Fischer and/or Chattman can combine to give us what we lose with Matt transferring.

I would be happy to be wrong, but I am willing to put a bet of a good steak dinner on not being wrong.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

I am planning on Collingsworth being available. He averaged 33 minutes per game. He played a lot of that as a 4 because our bigs couldn't stay out of foul trouble. With a better front line, he won't have to. It is a 7 minute per game problem. The rest of the production problem will be covered by the other guards. So, yes, it is a guard issue not a point guard issue.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

I think I'm higher on Aytes than most people here. If we have a legit post scorer and some shooters then we're a tourney team. So, that's the question. Can Chatman and Fischer shoot 3's?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BYU will NOT be a great team next year. Maybe it will be good. But I doubt it will be just. average, 14 wins? When is the last time that happened? Exactly. Your a are a downer, dude.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Cougs_Rule wrote:BYU will NOT be a great team next year. Maybe it will be good. But I doubt it will be just. average, 14 wins? When is the last time that happened? Exactly. Your a are a downer, dude.
Take away kcoll, mika, and carlino from this Last years team and where do you think we would have ended up? Somewhere in the 15 win range. It will be the same if kcoll isn't ready to go and we are missing those guys. You think differently? Put a burger on it.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Probably the same as the last 2 years. 2nd or 3rd in the WCC, just-in or just-out of the NCAA Tourny.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Blue you forgot to all that is being added. We are going from 10 to 13 scholarship players. You subtracted but forgot to add and carry the one.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

scott715 wrote:Blue you forgot to all that is being added. We are going from 10 to 13 scholarship players. You subtracted but forgot to add and carry the one.
Shhhhh. Don't tell him that. Can I still get on the steak dinner list if we win 14+?

Rose has never won less than 20 and since the 98-99 season we only have 2 seasons below 20. An 18 win season and a 9 win season.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:BYU will NOT be a great team next year. Maybe it will be good. But I doubt it will be just. average, 14 wins? When is the last time that happened? Exactly. Your a are a downer, dude.
Take away kcoll, mika, and carlino from this Last years team and where do you think we would have ended up? Somewhere in the 15 win range. It will be the same if kcoll isn't ready to go and we are missing those guys. You think differently? Put a burger on it.
downgraded from a steak? ok, you have a deal, burger it is. would love to chat hoops anyway. i most always agree and at least appreciate all your hoops posts.