BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Gonzaga is going to stomp on us again this year

Post by byufan4ever »

Gunk wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Carlino stole one from them last year. He's gone, KC might not even play and Haws can't shoot if someone doesn't pass him the ball. BYU hoops is screwed next year. Gonzaga would beat BYU 95 times out of 100 next year. (Like anyone can even know that!)
Tough to tell. There are a lot of unknowns for next season, PG being the biggest unknown.

I'm a fan of KC but not at the point. Unless one of the many combo guards we have on the roster steps up, I suspect many of the Carlino critics will find themselves wishing we had BYU's 2nd all-time leader in assists back.
I don't think anyone wanted Carlino gone. I think a lot of us wanted him to be more consistent and to shoot the ball better (and not so early in the shot clock!).

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Gunk wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Carlino stole one from them last year. He's gone, KC might not even play and Haws can't shoot if someone doesn't pass him the ball. BYU hoops is screwed next year. Gonzaga would beat BYU 95 times out of 100 next year. (Like anyone can even know that!)
Tough to tell. There are a lot of unknowns for next season, PG being the biggest unknown.

I'm a fan of KC but not at the point. Unless one of the many combo guards we have on the roster steps up, I suspect many of the Carlino critics will find themselves wishing we had BYU's 2nd all-time leader in assists back.
For the record, Carlino is/was 17th in career assists. He is tied for 1st in assists per game (tied w/ Matt Montague). But even if Matty C played his SR year (call it 30 games) and at his career average he would have finished with 427 career assits, which would have placed him 7th on the all-time assist list.

I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and wished he had stayed.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote:I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and wished he had stayed.
:skeptic: Not sure what this means.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and wished he had stayed.
:skeptic: Not sure what this means.
Yeah, I can't think of any fan that wanted both of those either!! :lol:

I think you meant:

I can't think of any BYU fan who actually wanted him gone and I wish he had stayed.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yep. Forgot my contraction of hadn't.

I do wish he would have stayed.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Carlino is his own worst enemy. He had the ability to be our best player this year and Next, but just couldn't get the mental part of his game right. I hate seeing him transfer, but I think we gain some stability with his departure. It may not be enough to make up for what he brings, but it makes the transition to a new PG a little easier. It all comes down to who steps up their game. I hope Chapman is a surprise this year, he could be the difference maker in the success of this team if he can be ready to go at the start of the season.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

PS
I don't think Gonzaga stomps us as easily as the op suggests. We will have several players to give them grief as well next year. I wouldn't count us out just yet.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYULV wrote:PS
I don't think Gonzaga stomps us as easily as the op suggests. We will have several players to give them grief as well next year. I wouldn't count us out just yet.
AGreed. Stomp us? no.
Beat us 2x? maybe.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Who will give them grief?

Austin - nope
KC - maybe, if he's back
Haws - Yes
PG TBD - who know who's playing point. Halford won't give the Zags grief. Winder is streaky. Everyone else are unknown commodities.
PF TBD - We don't even know who let alone how good they are that will be playing PF next season.

That leaves Haws as the only player that we know will be able to give the Zags grief. How much grief depends on how well the other players.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

Gunk wrote:
Who will give them grief?

Austin - nope
KC - maybe, if he's back
Haws - Yes
PG TBD - who know who's playing point. Halford won't give the Zags grief. Winder is streaky. Everyone else are unknown commodities.
PF TBD - We don't even know who let alone how good they are that will be playing PF next season.

That leaves Haws as the only player that we know will be able to give the Zags grief. How much grief depends on how well the other players.
Exactly. I really think Aytes might come in and provide points, but that is just my hope based on some highlights. I think the biggest issue is that this team still won't play and D so a team with scorers like Gonzaga has now will just go wild on them.