Dalton Nixon to play this year

BYU Cougars on the court.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Dalton Nixon to play this year

Post by scott715 »

http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/06/02/ ... 15-roster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i wonder how they are going to make the scholarships work with this news.

beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Dalton Nixon to play this year

Post by beauso79 »

My guess is either Halford or Sharp are is out or one will have to pay their own way

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

beauso79 wrote:My guess is either Halford or Sharp are is out or one will have to pay their own way
Since Nixon changed his own plans, he will likely pay his own way this season.

Note: A Deseret News article confirmed that Nixon will be paying his own way this year.
Last edited by Cougarbib on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

It'll be nice to have an emergency 4, but more importantly, it allows us to keep all our signed recruits without having to kick guys to the skids in 2 years when we don't have enough scholarships for all the guys that are currently committed.

Our success next season really hinges on the improvement of our bigs and the health of Kyle Collinsworth. I think we're a long shot for the NCAA tourney unless the stars align perfectly so why not give the young Nixon some minutes.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I might be totally off, but i dont see DN adding much this next year. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe he will get some minutes pre-conference, prior to Aytes playing, but after, i dont know that DN has DI atheticism from what i saw in HS. Kind of clonky. But, if he truly can "stretch" the D by being consistent as a shooter, like his dad, then maybe he will be valuable.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

I hope he can add something. I still really worry about our backcourt.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Based on his highlights he likes to shoot and even with guys in his face. I love the confidence, and having a semi-big who can extend the floor can only help the woeful frontcourt. In one video I never saw him dunk and assumed he probably couldn't, but in another he was dunking in traffic. So I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. I think this is a kid whose game will actually translate well to the next level.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Nixon will add something. But he will not be the be all end all - not the great white hope. He will be a freshman. Raw. Decent skills. Not spectacular. He will develop over his career.

From what I READ (I do not have inside info) he did not change his mission plans due to Rose telling him that he was indispensable.

It appears to be more due to this:

He was scheduled to leave for the MTC in August 2014 and return in August 2016. August does not work well if you intend to come back, get in shape, and play. BYU seems to be moving away from redshirting and there is a big scholarship issue looming in the next few years. It was a practical move that helps Dalton develop by playing as a freshman. Hopefully, he has kept in shape. It probably also alleviates the scholarship crunch since he will pay his own way this year and only tie up a scholarship for 3 years when he returns. But, he will play.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.