Jake Toolson back from mission

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jake Toolson back from mission

Post by craigoscarson »

1. BYU didn't recruit Ryan .. course neither did 300 or so other schools... boy did he make them all regret it

2. I don't anticipate that Jake will go anywhere else. His uncle is Danny Ainge, and BYU tuition is cheap (hey Uncle Danny, want to spot me $10k? It's what you make in a day...)... but it was unexpected and BYU has no available scholarships... I would hope he would come, but I can see arguments for going somewhere he might be able to receive a scholarship asap.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Good to see that noone here is getting preachy about this subject. This type of thing is going to happen often for kids going on missions with the rule changes. It used to be that a kid would move out and go to school (or get a serious job) for a year in between graduating and going. For women the gap was much more impressive, as some of them were graduated college or very nearly graduated before hitting the field.

Anyone that has served a mission honorably knows that it is one of the hardest things a person will ever do in their life. I remember moments during the mission that nearly crushed me, and I'm a pretty easy going person (although the board might not see that side).

Nothing but love for him, and I hope he remains a Cougar and more importantly, I hope that he is able to move on and have a happy productive life.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Good to see that noone here is getting preachy about this subject. This type of thing is going to happen often for kids going on missions with the rule changes. It used to be that a kid would move out and go to school (or get a serious job) for a year in between graduating and going. For women the gap was much more impressive, as some of them were graduated college or very nearly graduated before hitting the field.

Anyone that has served a mission honorably knows that it is one of the hardest things a person will ever do in their life. I remember moments during the mission that nearly crushed me, and I'm a pretty easy going person (although the board might not see that side).

Nothing but love for him, and I hope he remains a Cougar and more importantly, I hope that he is able to move on and have a happy productive life.
You're right that going on a mission at age 18 instead of 19 is huge. I'm in the YM presidency in my ward and I've been talking with both the youth and the parents about why it's such a big deal. By going to college for a year first I learned how to live away from home, be independent, learn how to cook, manage money, etc. The YM now have to learn all of that by the time they graduate form HS. Many YM have never been away from home for longer than Scout camp and some have never been out of state...so, yeah, it's a huge change.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

byufan4ever wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Good to see that noone here is getting preachy about this subject. This type of thing is going to happen often for kids going on missions with the rule changes. It used to be that a kid would move out and go to school (or get a serious job) for a year in between graduating and going. For women the gap was much more impressive, as some of them were graduated college or very nearly graduated before hitting the field.

You're right that going on a mission at age 18 instead of 19 is huge. I'm in the YM presidency in my ward and I've been talking with both the youth and the parents about why it's such a big deal. By going to college for a year first I learned how to live away from home, be independent, learn how to cook, manage money, etc. The YM now have to learn all of that by the time they graduate form HS. Many YM have never been away from home for longer than Scout camp and some have never been out of state...so, yeah, it's a huge change.
Big big shift. Even though I was 19 when I graduated from high school, I still went to school for a year first because I wanted that year away from home before jumping into the field. Many thought I entered the field at 20 because I broke the law of chastity (not true) but despite the chiding I found it well worth waiting for me.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Gunk wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:

Big big shift. Even though I was 19 when I graduated from high school, I still went to school for a year first because I wanted that year away from home before jumping into the field. Many thought I entered the field at 20 because I broke the law of chastity (not true) but despite the chiding I found it well worth waiting for me.
Good for you. I hope you got that chastizing problem under control ;)
Last edited by Brayden Green on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by beauso79 »

Toolson tweeted he was liking his new home in Provo so it sounds like he'll be at BYU this fall

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

beauso79 wrote:Toolson tweeted he was liking his new home in Provo so it sounds like he'll be at BYU this fall
. . . Or UVU :whistle:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Recent posts brought me back. 7 down votes above? Not big fans of wordplay around here?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

I think the Brethren made it clear when the announcement was made that young men "may" serve at 18. 18 isn't right for all young men. As a seminary teacher two years ago, I had some young men who were obviously ready do go right out of High School. For others, it was a good idea to go to school for a year before a mission. Fortunately, all made the right decision, and they are all serving now.

I'm glad I had that year away to start with. It helped me get used to being a little more independent.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Recent posts brought me back. 7 down votes above? Not big fans of wordplay around here?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Cowards.