Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer to the Pelicans

Post by Gunk »

mizzoucoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Metal Bubba wrote:http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/07/1 ... -pelicans/

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Amateur writing by someone who most likely doesn't watch much NBA.

Reasons Fredette won't fit in with Pelicans:

5. Fredette is not a volume scorer. "Fredette was the ultimate heat-check guy in college, and will be expected to provide long-range shooting at a high volume off of the bench in New Orleans, which the Pelicans needed to replace after the departure of Anthony Morrow. However, Fredette has not proven himself as capable of carrying the offensive load for bench units and tends to shy away from being a primary offensive option."

This is just stupidity. Fredette can score with anyone with the country, given adequate playing time and a long enough leash. In SacTown he had almost no leash, so he essentially kept his head down. When they "showcased" him by playing him for extended minutes before the trade deadline, he scored 24 points in 27 minutes. Fredette is capable of going off any night of the year. Not *every* night, I'm a realist, but there is potential for Jimmer to score 20+ points any time he steps out on the court and plays more than 15 minutes.

4. 4. Fredette Is Too Ball-Dominant To Facilitate An Offense

"Fredette may not like being a primary offensive option, but he also isn’t great at getting his teammates involved. He has never averaged more than 4.4 assists per 36 minutes, an exceedingly low number for a point guard. Given Fredette’s sticky hands, the Pelicans' bench unit will have a difficult time executing offensive sets."

Is this guy completely stupid? After saying "tends to shy away from being a primary offensive option" he also writes that Jimmer has sticky hands and mentions his low assist numbers, as if those numbers exist in a bubble. #1 Jimmer played on the Kings. The Kings are the opposite of the Spurs ball movement offense. The Kings are the epitome of isolation ball. They are unwatchable. I live an hour north of Sacramento and have turned down tickets a few times. They aren't worth the trip. Also, Jimmer didn't play only half his time at point guard, he played a lot at shooting guard, and 4.4 assists isn't bad for a shooting guard.

3. The Pelicans play at a slow pace.
Most teams do. The key isn't how fast or slow you play, it is how much you move the ball and how well you shoot. Jimmer will flourish on a passing team. I wish that the Spurs would pick him up, they would turn his defense upside down and he would flourish. Jimmer is a much better player than Patty Mills or Gary Neal was, and that type of elite ball movement is what he needs. He shot a better percentage from the arc last year than anyone in the league.

2. Crowded backcourt. "Fredette has struggled in the NBA when he has received little playing time..."

DUH! Wow. Just terrible writing. Fredette actually didn't struggle very much considering all the DNPs that he received. Evans is going to play small forward, and Gordon is going to be hurt for 10-12 games, so there is plenty of time. He'll get around 20 minutes a game, and is going to be a candidate for 6th man of the year.

1. Defense. Fredette isn't a great defender, but he isn't a terrible defender. He will fit right in in New Orleans. Eric Gordon, Tyreke Evans, Austin Rivers, all are not known for their defense. They only one in the backcourt that can be considered an *okay* defender is Jrue Holiday.
I've watched 90% of Jimmer's games in the NBA and I agree with most of this. Jimmer's biggest weakness is not his 1 vs 1 defense, it's his screen and roll D. It's atrocious. I think only one writer I've seen has picked up on this. He doesn't fight through screens and, thus, forces the whole defense to pick up the slack and overrotate. The result is always an open shot somewhere. Defensive effort can be fixed (I think), and I honestly think that's why he gets yanked so quickly.
Jimmer always looks lost when playing defense, bouncing around on his toes with his arms at his side. Get those arms up Jimmer and focus on who you're defending!

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

What's so amazing though is how after 3 seasons it's the same stance and same lack of effort. Is he pulling a Harvey Unga and just is too lazy to care? I guess I'd expect someone like him to fight for his life to stay in the NBA since this is probably his last shot.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

mizzoucoug wrote:What's so amazing though is how after 3 seasons it's the same stance and same lack of effort. Is he pulling a Harvey Unga and just is too lazy to care? I guess I'd expect someone like him to fight for his life to stay in the NBA since this is probably his last shot.
As unpopular as it will make me, I have often thought the same thing. Geez, even a tape session ought to point it out. He may not be the best defender but he at least needs to make it look like he can play D.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:What's so amazing though is how after 3 seasons it's the same stance and same lack of effort. Is he pulling a Harvey Unga and just is too lazy to care? I guess I'd expect someone like him to fight for his life to stay in the NBA since this is probably his last shot.
As unpopular as it will make me, I have often thought the same thing. Geez, even a tape session ought to point it out. He may not be the best defender but he at least needs to make it look like he can play D.

Eh, it's the NBA, who plays defense.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Jimmer may be too short, too white, too slow, or a lot of things.

Jimmer is NOT lazy.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:

I see this statement thrown around a lot. The problem is fringe guys at least show some serious effort on D to stay low to the ground and fight through screens. They know that their game isn't polished so they'll do whatever it takes to stay in the league. I don't get that vibe from Jimmer. Plus, he has to shed the stigma of being a slow white guy who doesn't play D. He is fully aware of that criticism yet I haven't seen improvement in 3 years. Heck, even a little snarl on his face on D would be a change of pace.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

mizzoucoug wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:

I see this statement thrown around a lot. The problem is fringe guys at least show some serious effort on D to stay low to the ground and fight through screens. They know that their game isn't polished so they'll do whatever it takes to stay in the league. I don't get that vibe from Jimmer. Plus, he has to shed the stigma of being a slow white guy who doesn't play D. He is fully aware of that criticism yet I haven't seen improvement in 3 years. Heck, even a little snarl on his face on D would be a change of pace.
Just needs to raise his arms and get low. He just has to look like he's playing D. I wonder if he's embraced the "deceptively quick" montra too much - oh look the white guy has game. Floating around on D in an effort to surprise a turnover out of the ball handler. May have worked in college Emery there to pick up slack, but doesn't translate to the NBA.