BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Carlino Liked Everything In Provo - except

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Rose has no issue with an early shot if it is open and taken within the range and position a given player is known to be accurate from. The goal has never been to shoot early for the sake of shooting early. Rose tries to create transition mismatches and open shots.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
BUT... BYU's halfcourt offense was so anemic, that I didn't mind Carlino reeling off a shot here and there that might have been "ill-advised". Perhaps Carlino new he basically had as much of a shot at making an off balanced 3 as BYU's offense did of setting up a play and getting a bucket. BYU's offense was downright awful at times last year, I remember close to 10 minute stretches with no field goals, especially when teams discovered that if you got back on defense quickly, BYU had no real scoring prowess.
Exactly. We cheered when Jimmer did it. Jimmer did a good job covering for Rose's lack of a half court set. How many times did we complain about everyone standing around while Jimmer shake 'n baked. Jimmer usually scored, so we didn't mind so much.

But if the defense got back and the first play didn't work or Haws got tied up, there was nothing left for the team to do this last season, especially if Mika was on bench. There was a lot of standing around last season. It was basically glorified pickup ball and in a pickup ball situation when no one is rotating or moving, usually the guy with the ball ends up taking a shot.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Rose has no issue with an early shot if it is open and taken within the range and position a given player is known to be accurate from. The goal has never been to shoot early for the sake of shooting early. Rose tries to create transition mismatches and open shots.

BUT... BYU's halfcourt offense was so anemic, that I didn't mind Carlino reeling off a shot here and there that might have been "ill-advised". Perhaps Carlino new he basically had as much of a shot at making an off balanced 3 as BYU's offense did of setting up a play and getting a bucket. BYU's offense was downright awful at times last year, I remember close to 10 minute stretches with no field goals, especially when teams discovered that if you got back on defense quickly, BYU had no real scoring prowess.
Exactly. We cheered when Jimmer did it. Jimmer did a good job covering for Rose's lack of a half court set. How many times did we complain about everyone standing around while Jimmer shake 'n baked. Jimmer usually scored, so we didn't mind so much.

But if the defense got back and the first play didn't work or Haws got tied up, there was nothing left for the team to do this last season, especially if Mika was on bench. There was a lot of standing around last season. It was basically glorified pickup ball and in a pickup ball situation when no one is rotating or moving, usually the guy with the ball ends up taking a shot.
Difference is, Jimmer was good at it. If he took a shot 4 seconds into the shot clock it was almost always going in. Carlino missed almost every single one of his super early shot attempts. Also, Jimmer understood the game enough to know that when you're leading by a 4 with 30 seconds to play, you use up the shot clock.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

Difference is, Jimmer was good at it. If he took a shot 4 seconds into the shot clock it was almost always going in. Carlino missed almost every single one of his super early shot attempts. Also, Jimmer understood the game enough to know that when you're leading by a 4 with 30 seconds to play, you use up the shot clock.
That could be some nostalgic revision thinking, but I don't have the numbers. Carlino WAS the closest thing we had to Jimmer last season. so again, I didn't have a problem with it. I'll remind you that I was Carlino's biggest critic his first year with the team. I was calling for Cusick to start and play for nearly every minute possible.

Did Carlino do things that made me stratch my head? yes, but so has nearly every BYU player, including all those coming back next year (which includes the coaching staff). I do not understand all the hand wringing that people had when Carlino had the ball, but hardly mentioned last season were some of KC's goofs, which were plentiful at times. I admire both players for actually trying to get the ball to the basket. Haws is another player that at times had to force the situation when nothing productive was happening on offense. All part of the game, Carlino somehow became the whipping boy for a lot of fans.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Jimmer was 45% from the field his senior season and 39% from the 3 point line. In other words, 61% of the time he shot a 3 pointer it didn't go in.

LOVED JImmer, and loved Carlino. In my opinion people had a double standard because we won with Jimmer and Emery and Hatsock and Davies, and didn't when Carlino was here, because Haws wasn't and isn't a true #1 go to STUD (like Jimmer and Hartsock were). So they blame it on the guy that gets stuck with the ball while everyone stands around gassed and not trying.

Carlino took some dumb shots, but so did Jimmer, and he isn't even near Jonathan Tavernari's all-time dumb shot record total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

I think they discovered that if they got back fast, players would stand around knowing that there was no way they were going to see a pass before Carlin threw up and missed an ill-advised pass. I guess they could hope for a rebound.

You may not have minded. Coaches did.

Bottom line is this - because of ill-advised shots, Carlin was a mediocre shooter at times, a poor shooter at other times and only rarely a good shooter.

If he repeats that behavior in his new home, the result will be the same.

If he has learned to play under control, he will be an asset to his team.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The only thing I don't like about Provo is that it isn't in California...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Mars wrote:
The only thing I don't like about Provo is that it isn't in California...
University of California at Provo aka BYU.
Cal State Provo aka UVU

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Cougarbib wrote:I think they discovered that if they got back fast, players would stand around knowing that there was no way they were going to see a pass before Carlin threw up and missed an ill-advised pass. I guess they could hope for a rebound.

You may not have minded. Coaches did.

Bottom line is this - because of ill-advised shots, Carlin was a mediocre shooter at times, a poor shooter at other times and only rarely a good shooter.

If he repeats that behavior in his new home, the result will be the same.

If he has learned to play under control, he will be an asset to his team.

What Blue, Bronco and I are saying, though, is the environment in which Carlino was playing in contributed to his tendency to take ill advised shots. Scotty Pipen was great when Michael Jordon was on the team. Not so much without Jordon. It's sort of like a crappy OL in football tends to make the QB rush throws. How much is the QB to blame in that scenario?

Regardless of the sport, athletes' performances are affected by their teammates and the game plan put in motion by the coaches. To exclude such variables isn't fair to the athlete, which is basically what we're saying.

I'm willing to bet, Carlino does well in his next home given he will probably be playing in a system with a better, more controlled half court set. There will likely be a semblance of a game plan outside of push the ball up the court and shoot.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Carlino could do very well. He could have done very well at BYU. In fact, he did at times.

Keeping in mind that Carlino moved high schools clear across the country to find an environment that would make him more successful, committed to Indiana but jumped to UCLA before jumping to BYU and now jumping to wherever it is he is now, his Jumping Shot should improve and if yet another coach like UCLA and BYU coaches tells him he is more of a 2 than a 1 - maybe he will play under control instead of excusing his play due to weak teammates.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

So, it's "jumping" now? He's a jumper, huh. Well, I guess you deserve credit for modifying your descriptive label from times gone by. ;-)