BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Carlino Liked Everything In Provo - except

Post by Cougarbib »

Gunk wrote:
BYULV wrote:Carlino had plenty of chances and would have been the undisputed starter last year and this coming year if he only controlled his game and listened to the coaches a bit.
Are you aware of what the coaches said to Carlino and in what cases he purposefully defied their instructions? How do you make that observation from just watching the games? I've watched just about every game Carlino played in as a Cougar and never got the sense Carlino was disobeying orders.

Rose: Matt, could you play more consistently please? If only you controlled the ball more we'd win games.
Matt: Pshh...whatever, Coach. Matty Basketball plays as recklessly as he wants to.

Maybe it went down like that. Maybe it didn't. We don't know and to presume we do is...well...mighty presumptuous of us.
What is your theory as to why he started getting the hook in games, then got moved to #2, then got moved to the bench when he openly said he did not want to play the 2 spot?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BYULV »

Cougarbib wrote:
Gunk wrote:
BYULV wrote:Carlino had plenty of chances and would have been the undisputed starter last year and this coming year if he only controlled his game and listened to the coaches a bit.
Are you aware of what the coaches said to Carlino and in what cases he purposefully defied their instructions? How do you make that observation from just watching the games? I've watched just about every game Carlino played in as a Cougar and never got the sense Carlino was disobeying orders.

Rose: Matt, could you play more consistently please? If only you controlled the ball more we'd win games.
Matt: Pshh...whatever, Coach. Matty Basketball plays as recklessly as he wants to.

Maybe it went down like that. Maybe it didn't. We don't know and to presume we do is...well...mighty presumptuous of us.
What is your theory as to why he started getting the hook in games, then got moved to #2, then got moved to the bench when he openly said he did not want to play the 2 spot?

No, I am not aware of exact directions given by coaches and disobeyed by Carlino, but I doubt they asked him to huck up threes early in the shot clock when we have a lead late in the game, or shooting long Jimmer-distance threes, or similar type behaviors that are not likely what any sane coach wants to see. I have nothing against Matt, but am simply trying to understand/explain his erratic play and behavior.

Besides, If we can't speculate on players and coaches actions and potential motives/thoughts on this board without documented proof then we won't have much to talk about around here.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Can't blame the guy for trying to score. There were many times he seemed like the only one out there interested in scoring/winning. Austin, Sharp, or at times even Haws was taking off plays.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Can't blame the guy for trying to score. There were many times he seemed like the only one out there interested in scoring/winning. Austin, Sharp, or at times even Haws was taking off plays.

I had no problem with him trying to score, in fact his aggressiveness was an asset, however, I'm referring to his play that at times made no sense and appeared to be contrary to what the team was trying to accomplish. I still wish he would have stuck around this year, I think he would've been great. But for some here (not meaning BlueisBetter) to ignore that he had some glaring flaws this past season and that there was a disconnect between Matt and the coaches and/or team is a bit clouded. Guys don't just leave a major college program their final year, unless there's an issue

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Can't blame the guy for trying to score. There were many times he seemed like the only one out there interested in scoring/winning. Austin, Sharp, or at times even Haws was taking off plays.

Sounds like the argument Rade Butcher made to Norman Dale after he gets benched for not passing the ball 4x before shooting or running the offense.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Carlino = dead horse

Leave it alone.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

"I can't wait to see how bad he is at his next stop."
Signed, "Jake's a quitter" club

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Cougarbib wrote:
Gunk wrote:

I'm not saying he didn't hit a rough patch in the middle of the season. Go back and look, I was all for Carlino taking a rest. I do think he should have been reinstated as the starter, though.

What I am saying is I doubt Carlino willfully disobeyed orders as is often the tone on here. He's a competitive player that from my perspective was doing what he thought best to win the game, not making statements. Think of it like Riley or Hill always tucking and running even though Anae and Bronco may call otherwise.

People seem to forget Rose's game plan, though. Rose's game plan is transition basketball. Its design is to take more and hopefully make more shots than your opponent, similar to GFGH. This requires pushing the ball up the court - aggressive play - and shooting the ball early in the clock. It also requires tough defense and solid rebounding. Aggressive play can result in more turnovers and shooting early in the clock can generate a lot of misses/possession changes if the shots aren't falling, which we saw a lot of this season.

If I recall correctly, Rose practices so the team is taking a shot within 10 seconds of the shot clock. That's really quick, and it's why our half court offense looks so anemic. There is literally no half court offense. Once the 10 seconds go by, there's lots of standing around by our players. So, I don't hold Carlino to as much fault as others when it came to taking early shots as that's what Rose preaches. Perhaps Carlino was a bit over-zealous in its application, but I don't fault him for trying to execute what was taught and I don't think he was out there willfully rebelling against Rose.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Rose has no issue with an early shot if it is open and taken within the range and position a given player is known to be accurate from. The goal has never been to shoot early for the sake of shooting early. Rose tries to create transition mismatches and open shots.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougarbib wrote:Rose has no issue with an early shot if it is open and taken within the range and position a given player is known to be accurate from. The goal has never been to shoot early for the sake of shooting early. Rose tries to create transition mismatches and open shots.

BUT... BYU's halfcourt offense was so anemic, that I didn't mind Carlino reeling off a shot here and there that might have been "ill-advised". Perhaps Carlino new he basically had as much of a shot at making an off balanced 3 as BYU's offense did of setting up a play and getting a bucket. BYU's offense was downright awful at times last year, I remember close to 10 minute stretches with no field goals, especially when teams discovered that if you got back on defense quickly, BYU had no real scoring prowess.