Carlino Liked Everything In Provo - except

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Carlino Liked Everything In Provo - except

Post by Cougarbib »

Basketball. He is not LDS. But he was fine with the social scene and honor code and life in Provo. Had some great experiences. He just was not happy with basketball relative to giving him his best chance for success. Most fans probably guessed that. Now Carlino has said i in an interview at his new school.

I wish him well. I am glad that other than basketball is experience here was positive.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Carlino Liked Everything In Provo - except

Post by Gunk »

Hmmm...Don't know what went on in practices or what Rose said to him. But I think he got plenty of chances. Still think he should have gone back to starting. Fans did turn on him IMO.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:Hmmm...Don't know what went on in practices or what Rose said to him. But I think he got plenty of chances. Still think he should have gone back to starting. Fans did turn on him IMO.

Fans liked everything about Matty except his basketball consistency.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:Hmmm...Don't know what went on in practices or what Rose said to him. But I think he got plenty of chances. Still think he should have gone back to starting. Fans did turn on him IMO.

Fans liked everything about Matty except his basketball consistency.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

I also think Provo gave him plenty of chances. And feels it's too bad that he left. One of the more exciting players to come through BYU in recent times. And this is coming from someone who went from wanting to see Cusick start to loving what Carlino brought to the table. It was interesting to see how fans "turned" on him. I feel he was always the same player. Sometimes it helped BYU, sometimes it hurt BYU. But that was Carlino's game, and I learned to simply enjoy it. Kind of like Max hall at QB.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

BroncoBot wrote:I also think Provo gave him plenty of chances. And feels it's too bad that he left. One of the more exciting players to come through BYU in recent times. And this is coming from someone who went from wanting to see Cusick start to loving what Carlino brought to the table. It was interesting to see how fans "turned" on him. I feel he was always the same player. Sometimes it helped BYU, sometimes it hurt BYU. But that was Carlino's game, and I learned to simply enjoy it. Kind of like Max hall at QB.
One slight dispute with you on this, Max Hall didn't cost us nearly as much as Carlino did in the loss column. When Max tried to force something it was usually to try to win the game or take an advantage - I don't remember Max throwing a deep ball just for kicks to see if someone might happen to catch it. Carlino was king of the heat check, but regardless if he made it or not he just kept firing away. Carlino had plenty of chances and would have been the undisputed starter last year and this coming year if he only controlled his game and listened to the coaches a bit. He would have been the difference maker if he would have been humble enough to take some coaching.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BYULV wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:I also think Provo gave him plenty of chances. And feels it's too bad that he left. One of the more exciting players to come through BYU in recent times. And this is coming from someone who went from wanting to see Cusick start to loving what Carlino brought to the table. It was interesting to see how fans "turned" on him. I feel he was always the same player. Sometimes it helped BYU, sometimes it hurt BYU. But that was Carlino's game, and I learned to simply enjoy it. Kind of like Max hall at QB.
One slight dispute with you on this, Max Hall didn't cost us nearly as much as Carlino did in the loss column. When Max tried to force something it was usually to try to win the game or take an advantage - I don't remember Max throwing a deep ball just for kicks to see if someone might happen to catch it. Carlino was king of the heat check, but regardless if he made it or not he just kept firing away. Carlino had plenty of chances and would have been the undisputed starter last year and this coming year if he only controlled his game and listened to the coaches a bit. He would have been the difference maker if he would have been humble enough to take some coaching.
EXACTLY.

He liked everything except getting told what to do.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

So the translation is I really didn't want to be coached and told how to improve my game.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

SpiffCoug wrote:So the translation is I really didn't want to be coached and told how to improve my game.
Yes, essentially. Not basing it on actual fact, but simply on circumstantial evidence as witnessed by his play on the court and knowledge of how BYU plays BBall and how the game is played in general.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BYULV wrote:Carlino had plenty of chances and would have been the undisputed starter last year and this coming year if he only controlled his game and listened to the coaches a bit.
Are you aware of what the coaches said to Carlino and in what cases he purposefully defied their instructions? How do you make that observation from just watching the games? I've watched just about every game Carlino played in as a Cougar and never got the sense Carlino was disobeying orders.

Rose: Matt, could you play more consistently please? If only you controlled the ball more we'd win games.
Matt: Pshh...whatever, Coach. Matty Basketball plays as recklessly as he wants to.

Maybe it went down like that. Maybe it didn't. We don't know and to presume we do is...well...mighty presumptuous of us.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel