BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2014-15 Team Roster

Post by craigoscarson »

mizzoucoug wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:I guess we'll just have to let the season play out. College coaches rave about KC because of the mismatches he creates, Winder and Bartley can guard the opposing teams PG; KC will be expected to smartly distribute and handle the ball.

Remember, this guy had just come off a mission. And trust me I thought KC would be a shooting nightmare and a turnover machine last year... I also think he made the proper improvement during the season.

We don't have a prototypical team this year, but we have some really good basketball players. A 10 seed is for all practical purposes, the last team in and 22 wins is not the BYU high water mark, so it's not like I'm forecasting a final four here... however I said last year that the team would not win 25 games and they would miss by a razor thin margin and I was spot on. The season before I was on, and if many of you remember I told you about Eric Mika before he ever laced it up for Lone Peak... I take this forecasting stuff serious, I have a print out of the roster from 2013-2020 hanging in my office (now with Corbin Kaufusi written in with black sharpie) .. I think this years team will surprise. We have some senior leadership which can go a long way... Assuming KC is healthy, we'll have a fun season and next year and the years to come, the talent train starts building crazy steam. I hope we have fun this year.. win or lose.

We're not going to be world beaters, but we will be competitive in every game we play and we have 2 guys capable of having very special games (KC and Tyler) and they balance each other very well... much better than many of you give a "just home from his mission RM". I think that Frank Bartley has a very very high ceiling and that Carlino read the tea leaves playing against Chase Fischer in practice...
Do you have any insight on Toolson as a player? Are there any stars among the new guys at all or are we still going to have to watch Austin and Halford in the rotation? Please tell me we will have some 3 point shooting this year.
Of all our new guys coming in, Toolson is the most ready to score, he is a legit scorer... I'm just not sure where you hide him on defense at this point. Nixon can shoot, but I don't anticipate he'll be confident enough to be a major contributor.

Fischer will be solid... Halford apparently has put on 10 lbs of muscle... and I really like Bartley as a defender and slasher (I don't trust his J though). Haws range has improved every year so I do think we have 3 point shooters.

We're not going to be world beaters... we will be good and we have two NBA tweeners on the team (KC and Haws) that's enough to make the dance usually

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I think Chatman will improve enough in the season to do a lot at point. Winder will help there too. KC will then be able to put more time in close but still be a distributor kind of like Scotty Pippin. I agree that point is very important and if the team fills this position well, 22 games is easily within reach. I don't know if I'm KCs biggest fan but Craig is right, he is very talented/athletic and other teams will have to put big talent on him wherever he plays including point. Haws is Haws. 20 pts is 20 pts! I see potential in this team if they can get it and keep it together.

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

I always thought fan forums were mostly for team fans (that is, those here to support and root for their team). I understand realistic thinking, but the first half of this thread seemed to be populated with :utard: s. and other "nattering nabobs of negativism". I'm always optimistic, and I'm excited about the chances for this team that is returning so many of it's players.
8)

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

IowaCougar wrote:I always thought fan forums were mostly for team fans (that is, those here to support and root for their team). I understand realistic thinking, but the first half of this thread seemed to be populated with :utard: s. and other "nattering nabobs of negativism". I'm always optimistic, and I'm excited about the chances for this team that is returning so many of it's players.
8)
I question the motivation of anyone that throws out "You aren't a true fan because you don't think or express your feelings the way I do..." That comes off to me as wrong. I bet we like different kinds of ice cream, too. Are you going to tell me that I don't like the right kinds according to you, or that I'm eating it wrong?

Some of us are trying to have an open and honest discussion about the team that we love. As far as fanhood goes, I haven't missed a televised basketball game in the last decade, and been to quite a few home games. I haven't seen anything on this thread that wasn't an honest question about our team being potentially better with a few adjustments. I have given mine and others theirs.

Close minded people - like how you are coming off right now - kind of piss me off. You are welcome to your opinion, just as I am to mine. I would suggest that if you don't like to see things outside of your "optimistic side of things" box, you should stay off the internet, (and out of talk radio probably too). I am deathly afraid of sharks, for example, so I stay out of the ocean. :bug: Start a 100% optimism thread and make that your home, you'll be safe there.

Oh, and Old Fashioned Butter Pecan is the best ice cream. And if you don't agree with me, then you can go to hell ;)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
IowaCougar wrote:I always thought fan forums were mostly for team fans (that is, those here to support and root for their team). I understand realistic thinking, but the first half of this thread seemed to be populated with :utard: s. and other "nattering nabobs of negativism". I'm always optimistic, and I'm excited about the chances for this team that is returning so many of it's players.
8)
I question the motivation of anyone that throws out "You aren't a true fan because you don't think or express your feelings the way I do..." That comes off to me as wrong. I bet we like different kinds of ice cream, too. Are you going to tell me that I don't like the right kinds according to you, or that I'm eating it wrong?

Some of us are trying to have an open and honest discussion about the team that we love. As far as fanhood goes, I haven't missed a televised basketball game in the last decade, and been to quite a few home games. I haven't seen anything on this thread that wasn't an honest question about our team being potentially better with a few adjustments. I have given mine and others theirs.

Close minded people - like how you are coming off right now - kind of piss me off. You are welcome to your opinion, just as I am to mine. I would suggest that if you don't like to see things outside of your "optimistic side of things" box, you should stay off the internet, (and out of talk radio probably too). I am deathly afraid of sharks, for example, so I stay out of the ocean. :bug: Start a 100% optimism thread and make that your home, you'll be safe there.

Oh, and Old Fashioned Butter Pecan is the best ice cream. And if you don't agree with me, then you can go to hell ;)
Not to hijack the thread or anything....but Tillamook Caramel Butter Pecan is where it's at....if you don't agree then you can find your own bowl of Butter Pecan in hell ;)

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Wolverine wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
8)

Not to hijack the thread or anything....but Tillamook Caramel Butter Pecan is where it's at....if you don't agree then you can find your own bowl of Butter Pecan in hell ;)
I'll see you all in hell with my bowl of Baskin Robins pralines and cream.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Man, I'll take all three! I haven't tried this Tillamook caramel butter pecan but I bet it is delicious. Praline's is also great. If you haven't done the favor of getting a double of butter pecan and pistachio almond with hot fudge on top, you need to do it :)

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Man, I'll take all three! I haven't tried this Tillamook caramel butter pecan but I bet it is delicious. Praline's is also great. If you haven't done the favor of getting a double of butter pecan and pistachio almond with hot fudge on top, you need to do it :)

Man you eat all three and you will be in hell....or heaven...probably hell ;)

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »