2014-15 Team Roster

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2014-15 Team Roster

Post by Gunk »

I don't have hopes for the team next year. Will be surprised if we go dancing.

Defense and shooting are my big concerns. If we can shoot from the outside that will open underneath up and hopefully provide some easy looks for Austin.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

Gunk wrote:I don't have hopes for the team next year. Will be surprised if we go dancing.

Defense and shooting are my big concerns. If we can shoot from the outside that will open underneath up and hopefully provide some easy looks for Austin.

I think this team will surprise some people. It will take a little time for the pieces to fit together, but I don't think it will be as schizo as last year's team. I see this team chasing the Zags and being a bubble team. The schedule bodes well for some quality wins at home. Get one or two more in Maui and beat everyone else that you should (both Utes and Aggies), and they should be in great shape heading into WCC play. Ever the blue-goggled optimist :)

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

It hurts me to say that this team is going to be bad next year. In the 10-15 wins range. All of our bigs added up don't equal one Erik Mika, and our best man defender now plays for Marquette (after being driven off in the culmination of a 2 years long coaching mistake.) We don't have a true passing point guard on the roster. Collinsworth, if he even gets on the court, has trouble delivering a bounce pass regularly under pressure without skipping one out of bounds or at someone's feet for a turnover. But that isn't the worst part. Anyone that watched last year should be used to seeing Collinsworth's matchup blow past him for 4 or 5 buckets within the first 7 minutes until Carlino would come in and play man. Well, expect that ALL SEASON LONG. That, combined with the fact that our coaching somehow doesn't understand that part of the appeal of starting a slow 6'6" person at point guard is his size for the position, and we will see exactly ZERO plays with Collinsworth posting up his man in the paint. Because, you know, it makes sense to get burned at one end of the court and not take advantage of size on the other :roll:

They might rack up wins with a fairly weak schedule, but I doubt even that. There is no way this team goes dancing, unless Chatman fresh off a mission, or someone fairly unexpected goes beast mode. Even then, you have to defend, and with Collinsworth, Haws, and Austin all on the starting court that isn't going to happen.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

BlueIsBetter wrote:It hurts me to say that this team is going to be bad next year. In the 10-15 wins range. All of our bigs added up don't equal one Erik Mika, and our best man defender now plays for Marquette (after being driven off in the culmination of a 2 years long coaching mistake.) We don't have a true passing point guard on the roster. Collinsworth, if he even gets on the court, has trouble delivering a bounce pass regularly under pressure without skipping one out of bounds or at someone's feet for a turnover. But that isn't the worst part. Anyone that watched last year should be used to seeing Collinsworth's matchup blow past him for 4 or 5 buckets within the first 7 minutes until Carlino would come in and play man. Well, expect that ALL SEASON LONG. That, combined with the fact that our coaching somehow doesn't understand that part of the appeal of starting a slow 6'6" person at point guard is his size for the position, and we will see exactly ZERO plays with Collinsworth posting up his man in the paint. Because, you know, it makes sense to get burned at one end of the court and not take advantage of size on the other :roll:

They might rack up wins with a fairly weak schedule, but I doubt even that. There is no way this team goes dancing, unless Chatman fresh off a mission, or someone fairly unexpected goes beast mode. Even then, you have to defend, and with Collinsworth, Haws, and Austin all on the starting court that isn't going to happen.
I will respectfully disagree on the win total. No traipsing back and forth across the country, most difficult OOC games at home, a down Utah St. In Logan, and your typical WCC fare. This team will win at least 20 games, be on the bubble and may or may not go dancing. Best man defender now at Marquette? IMO not much of a loss defensively (now offensively is an entirely different issue) since I'm not sure I saw anyone, and I mean anyone, play really good man defense last year. I agree that Mika's loss will be felt, more so than Carlino's. Until I actually see a Coach Rose team have a 10-15 win season, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Gunk wrote:I don't have hopes for the team next year. Will be surprised if we go dancing.

LOL Gunk. I hope you're just rusty from the off-season. The idea that we are in any way shape or form interested in opening up looks for Nate Austin makes me chuckle. :lol:

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

Rose's '14/'15 Rotation:

1: KC/Chatman/Bartley
2: Winder/Fischer/Bartley
3: Haws/Toolson
4: Aytes/Austin/Nixon
5: Austin/Neilson/Corbin Kaufusi

I think this will end up being Rose's rotation when Aytes joins the team in December. There will probably be quite a few players left out in the cold for playing time. I really think Toolson makes a perfect complement to Haws at the 3 and Austin will likely play a ton because he's a senior. Kaufusi may be able to rise to the top at the 5 once Aytes joins the team but we'll see. Worthington should go play football.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BlueIsBetter wrote:It hurts me to say that this team is going to be bad next year. In the 10-15 wins range. All of our bigs added up don't equal one Erik Mika, and our best man defender now plays for Marquette (after being driven off in the culmination of a 2 years long coaching mistake.) We don't have a true passing point guard on the roster. Collinsworth, if he even gets on the court, has trouble delivering a bounce pass regularly under pressure without skipping one out of bounds or at someone's feet for a turnover. But that isn't the worst part. Anyone that watched last year should be used to seeing Collinsworth's matchup blow past him for 4 or 5 buckets within the first 7 minutes until Carlino would come in and play man. Well, expect that ALL SEASON LONG. That, combined with the fact that our coaching somehow doesn't understand that part of the appeal of starting a slow 6'6" person at point guard is his size for the position, and we will see exactly ZERO plays with Collinsworth posting up his man in the paint. Because, you know, it makes sense to get burned at one end of the court and not take advantage of size on the other :roll:

KC at point is the worst decision Rose has ever made. It's completely disrupted things and it will be a few years before the ship is righted. We don't have a PG, and we chased away the best player for the position.

I think we get more than 15 wins, though.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

mizzoucoug wrote:

LOL Gunk. I hope you're just rusty from the off-season. The idea that we are in any way shape or form interested in opening up looks for Nate Austin makes me chuckle. :lol:
Perhaps. :) Probably wishful thinking on my part. A desparate idea for a semblance of an inside game.

We're going to have to rely on run 'n gun a lot more this season. Which means better defense. :(

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Gunk wrote:

KC at point is the worst decision Rose has ever made. It's completely disrupted things and it will be a few years before the ship is righted. We don't have a PG, and we chased away the best player for the position.

I think we get more than 15 wins, though.

Carlino was a wild stallion. And sometimes Wild stallions run into the road and get killed. Carlino was schizophrenic. Brilliant and destructive. When he lost the starting PG he was coming off a run of a several game losing streak and looking ugly doing it.
Like democracy being the worst form of govt but the best one the US could have (DeToqueville) KC is the worst form of a PG, but the best BYU has had last year. KC has not lost as many games as Carlino had. The two both have flaws as PGs. Rose picked his pain and in my opinion, it was the better choice. Having MC come off the bench was a great move.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

Agree to disagree. Also, you might want to switch history books, America is a republic not a democracy. Carlino in at least 10 games looked like the only player on the court that wanted to win. While Haws, KColl, and everyone else just stood around waiting for something to happen. He's gone now, nothing we can do. It was a good move for him to leave. Rose made a huge mistake, and he/we will be paying for it until emery Jr a Haws Jr and Mika come home and get in to playing shape.

KC at point guard was, and is, a terrible idea. Can't defend guards, average at passing, no jump shot, no 3 pointer, can't hit free throws, average court vision... the only advantage is his height, which they don't use on the offensive end (no post ups).

KCs best game is going iso against slower 3's and 4's, but against guards they are quicker and take the ball away if and when he slashes from the top, and since he has no jump shot, he gets plenty of room.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE KC, but not at the point. KC is Zylstra at the point version 2.0, but with more talent. Still not enough. If I was picking point guards between the 2, MC is a much better fit for my requirements (dribbles with his head up, quick, looks to pass, elite passing, elite court vision, can hit free throws, etc). KColl is the better player, no doubt. But not at point. That is probably his worst position.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: