BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: ANDRUS HEIGHT

Post by craigoscarson »

SpiffCoug wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Ziggy Ansah was raw when he started playing football... physical talent was there though...
So sometime at the end of two seasons from now we should start expecting Kaufusi to be a spot contributor and then three seasons from now we'll be able to see him as a regular contributor?
I think Corbin will start in the 2015-16 season and people will be happy about that and in 2016 Mika and Dastrup will have some competition at the 4-5.

I doubt he'll have a ton of shooting touch this year... but he's got the Kaufusi gene combined with height.

This year, I think there will be flashes of brilliance and flashes of an oaf. But we're guard and small forward heavy this season and we need an oaf that can rebound.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYULV wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:Ziggy Ansah was raw when he started playing football... physical talent was there though...
So sometime at the end of two seasons from now we should start expecting Kaufusi to be a spot contributor and then three seasons from now we'll be able to see him as a regular contributor?
Except he's starting with an understanding of the game and actual playing experience which should put him further ahead than where ZIGGY started. Also, BBall is an easier game to understand and develop skills for than is football.
AGree to disagree?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote:
BYULV wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Except he's starting with an understanding of the game and actual playing experience which should put him further ahead than where ZIGGY started. Also, BBall is an easier game to understand and develop skills for than is football.
AGree to disagree?
Ziggy wasn't good enough to play college hoops, despite his athletic talent.

Ziggy is good enough to play professional football, though.

Just saying....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BYULV wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
AGree to disagree?

Just saying....

exactly. I disagree that "baskeball is easier to understand and develope skills". Athletic ability takes you WAY farther in football. Guys like John Stockton can make a career in the NBA because of their IQ. There are not many positions in football where you need an exceptionally high IQ to play. It's been my experience that you can take most American guys and throw together a half decent football game. Basketball? difficult to teach from the ground up. Dribbling itself can take years to develop for some guys. Blocking? easy enough. :)

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BYULV wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
AGree to disagree?

Just saying....

exactly. I disagree that "baskeball is easier to understand and develope skills". Athletic ability takes you WAY farther in football. Guys like John Stockton can make a career in the NBA because of their IQ. There are not many positions in football where you need an exceptionally high IQ to play. It's been my experience that you can take most American guys and throw together a half decent football game. Basketball? difficult to teach from the ground up. Dribbling itself can take years to develop for some guys. Blocking? easy enough. :)
Agreed. Was just helping you make your point. There are basketball players that cross over to football. Never hear of football player crossing over to basketball.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

There was a QB who then played a year of basketball as a point guard and I think went to the NBA. Can't remember the school but it was on the east coast. I want to say his name was Ware. Might had been FSU.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:There was a QB who then played a year of basketball as a point guard and I think went to the NBA. Can't remember the school but it was on the east coast. I want to say his name was Ware. Might had been FSU.
I'm sure it happens. I still believe learning to play basketball is a years to decades type of game where certain football positions can be learned in a much shorter time period.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I don't know that learning a football position in-depth requires any less time than basketball, but I do know that athleticism can get you by in football until you get it.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I'm really just talking about schemes and complexity of the game. I think football is a lot more complex and more strategy to it. Basketball is pretty simple. BBall skills, I agree, are more difficult to fine tune compared to football, but we were comparing ZIGGY who had never seen American football compared to Kaufusi who grew up pkaying BBall, including pkaying in HS. That experience and understanding of the game get you a lot further ahead than starting from nothing like ZIGGY did. I think we are all in agreement for the most part, just approaching it from different angles

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

scott715 wrote:There was a QB who then played a year of basketball as a point guard and I think went to the NBA. Can't remember the school but it was on the east coast. I want to say his name was Ware. Might had been FSU.
That was Charlie Ward and he was a mcdonalds all american recruited by North Carolina to play hoops out of high school.

Corbin has the advantage of being big and not having to have the guard skills required. I think he'll be just fine.

I would agree that a big fast athlete could be coached faster to play football than to play big time hoops.

I've seen hundreds of 6'0" - 6'5" athletes that had no position on the basketball court in d1 hoops that would have made amazing D1 football players. There are very few football players than can make the transition to hoops and have the requisite size to succeed.

At 6'10" or taller.... a guy might have a chance