ANDRUS HEIGHT

BYU Cougars on the court.
BYU1971
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Corbin Kafusi

Post by BYU1971 »

I had the opportunity to watch this kid scrimmage when I was in Utah this August. He will see serious minutes this year and will probably win the starting center job before the season is over. He has tremendous athletic ability and he brings something to a BYU team that we have lacked for many years, size coupled with athleticism. He is dunking over everyone and that includes Davies and Plaisted.

I am excited to watch this kid play with Mika when they are both on the floor at the same time. Both run the floor and are willing to bang away underneath.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: ANDRUS HEIGHT

Post by scott715 »

Music to my ears. I'll think about basketball after the football team loses a game (or goes bowling).

PS Don't drink the hype of 12-0. If we lose, it will be a hard crash. I've been there and don't want to experience it again.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re Kafusi and Ziggy

Post by hawkwing »

Lots of assumptions being made here. First off we have no idea if Ziggy could have made it as a BYU basketball player. All we know is that Rose passed on him. It may or may not have been a collosal mistake. In fact it may be why Rosr is taking a chance on another big guy with less athleticism but slightly more organized experience.

craigoscarson
Pro

Re: Re Kafusi and Ziggy

Post by craigoscarson »

hawkwing wrote:Lots of assumptions being made here. First off we have no idea if Ziggy could have made it as a BYU basketball player. All we know is that Rose passed on him. It may or may not have been a collosal mistake. In fact it may be why Rosr is taking a chance on another big guy with less athleticism but slightly more organized experience.
If Ziggy could have contributed in the slightest, he would have at least been allowed to walk on. He's 6'6" and I'd imagine he thought because he could dunk, he could play d1 hoops. I have a feeling he wouldn't have been skilled enough to play dII hoops..

Corbin is 6'10" and is reported to have a 37" vertical.... and played competitively premission at an all state level (he just wasn't tall enough to deserve a scholarship to play the 4-5 and not skilled enough to play the 3... now he's plenty tall)

He simply could be a clinching piece to a final four team if he can even give us 10/10; not this year, but in 2 years... watchout....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we now have austin, andrus, sharp, aytes (for conf season) nielsen, worthington, and kaufusi... this might be enough depth to put together a 20+ win season... maybe better if Tyler and KC make drastic strides (haws as a defender, kc as a shooter)

This should be a make or break for worthington, and if Corbin is deserving of a scholarship... there's a chance a guy like Braiden Shaw never makes it to Provo. (I think we've simply out-talented some of our mission 1st recruits of 2011)

OH, and we have Kyle Davis next year to play the 4.... We might have the best rebounding frontcourt since the mid 80s...

mizzoucoug
Pro

Re: Corbin Kafusi

Post by mizzoucoug »

BYU1971 wrote: He is dunking over everyone and that includes Davies and Plaisted.
I want more details on this. He's actually going up over these guys Shaq style in traffic? Or they're in the vicinity and he's throwing down? Either one is a rarity at BYU so I'm genuinely interested.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

craigoscarson wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Lots of assumptions being made here. First off we have no idea if Ziggy could have made it as a BYU basketball player. All we know is that Rose passed on him. It may or may not have been a collosal mistake. In fact it may be why Rosr is taking a chance on another big guy with less athleticism but slightly more organized experience.
If Ziggy could have contributed in the slightest, he would have at least been allowed to walk on. He's 6'6" and I'd imagine he thought because he could dunk, he could play d1 hoops. I have a feeling he wouldn't have been skilled enough to play dII hoops..

Corbin is 6'10" and is reported to have a 37" vertical.... and played competitively premission at an all state level (he just wasn't tall enough to deserve a scholarship to play the 4-5 and not skilled enough to play the 3... now he's plenty tall)

He simply could be a clinching piece to a final four team if he can even give us 10/10; not this year, but in 2 years... watchout....

we now have austin, andrus, sharp, aytes (for conf season) nielsen, worthington, and kaufusi... this might be enough depth to put together a 20+ win season... maybe better if Tyler and KC make drastic strides (haws as a defender, kc as a shooter)

This should be a make or break for worthington, and if Corbin is deserving of a scholarship... there's a chance a guy like Braiden Shaw never makes it to Provo. (I think we've simply out-talented some of our mission 1st recruits of 2011)

OH, and we have Kyle Davis next year to play the 4.... We might have the best rebounding frontcourt since the mid 80s...
Why hasn't the Worthington experiment ended yet? It seems clear to me he doesn't have D1 game. Also, do any of these guys have any low post moves or are they all Austin clones? I know Neilson has 3 point range. Is he tough enough to play down low?

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

mizzoucoug wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:

Why hasn't the Worthington experiment ended yet? It seems clear to me he doesn't have D1 game. Also, do any of these guys have any low post moves or are they all Austin clones? I know Neilson has 3 point range. Is he tough enough to play down low?
I'm going to assume that this is the year to determine if Worthington has what it takes to be a d1 difference maker (we can give the dude a pass as a frosh). We can afford to see this year as we have the scholarships in hand and got 2 freebies (toolson and nixon are walkons) but next year we'll have aytes, davis, nielsen, and likely kaufusi and we're short 1 scholarship, so I'd imagine all eyes will be on worthington this year to determine what his ceiling and basement are... I'm not optimistic, he just doesn't seem comfortable or skilled enough to warrant a scholarship for a regular tournament team.

Something has to give for the 2015-16 season though, we have 14-15 players with 13 scholarships available and what I'm hearing about Kaufusi is that he will deserve a scholarship sooner rather than later.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Classic example of a bball player who is not deep in skills and probably would succeed more at football even TE than in Bball. Foosball position skill mastery is not more difficult that modern day requirements for success as a bball player.

rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

I think the basketball and football should simply make a trade. Basketball gets the 6-10 guy that has the football scholarship and football gets the 6-10 guy that has the basketball scholarship.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

scott715 wrote:There was a QB who then played a year of basketball as a point guard and I think went to the NBA. Can't remember the school but it was on the east coast. I want to say his name was Ware. Might had been FSU.
Charlie Ward?

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: