craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Nick Emery

Post by craigoscarson »

hawkwing wrote:
KYCoug wrote:
nuk13 wrote:According to the tweets to the left Elder Emery is heading back to Germany. Good for him!
I suspected this might be the case. My son was given a medical release and honorable release paperwork and was told he could return as soon as the medical issue was resolved or he could stay and not return. My son chose to stay but could have gone back

Good Luck Elder Emery. Serve well and get all healed up.

L Hatton
Louisville, KY
Very interesting! I don't think they gave you the option 10 years or more ago, but it's nice to see they are now.
I'd imagine Nick has a little more cache' than the average missionary too. There would have been a major scholarship crunch next year if Nick had enrolled for 2015-16 because it's clear Corbin Kaufusi will have one next season (barring injury). It also gives Frank Jackson a chance to play with Nick and TJ and anything good for Frank is good for BYU.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/colle ... witterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is returning home for more treatment.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

And officially and completely, honorably released. This time he will not be returning. It will be awesome for him to have over nine months to finish rehab, blend with the team and who knows, maybe even earn the starting PG spot. His on,y competition will be, I guess, Ellis? Then, and finally then, we won't have to hear Gunk whine about KC at the point. Just playing ;-)

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

And Jirdan chapman.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I thought Jordan was more of a 2- guard.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

They were talking about playing him at the point this year. I don't know which one he is.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

We very much need a point guard. I am all for guards than can score but for this team a point is more important.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

nuk13 wrote:We very much need a point guard. I am all for guards than can score but for this team a point is more important.

Serious question- why do we need a point guard?

The best teams in world often don't have a point guard and especially not point guards.

See Miami Heat championship teams- none of Chalmers, Lebron and Wade are point guards.

See OKC Thunder Westbrook and Durant are not point guards but that doesn't prevent them from dominating.

Chris Paul is the consensus best PG in the world but his team can't get to the conference finals.

Even Kentucky this year doesn't really have a pure point guard. They have very good guards.

In a more recent example Pangos is a scoring guard more than a point guard. But he was good and talented enough to sink dagger shot after dagger shot.

We need good guards- if they are shoot first so be it. Though I was admit we need more ball-handling ability on this team. When Winder graduates I hope someone is ready to pick up the slack against pressure D.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Qman wrote:
nuk13 wrote:We very much need a point guard. I am all for guards than can score but for this team a point is more important.

Serious question- why do we need a point guard?

The best teams in world often don't have a point guard and especially not point guards.

See Miami Heat championship teams- none of Chalmers, Lebron and Wade are point guards.

See OKC Thunder Westbrook and Durant are not point guards but that doesn't prevent them from dominating.

Chris Paul is the consensus best PG in the world but his team can't get to the conference finals.

Even Kentucky this year doesn't really have a pure point guard. They have very good guards.

In a more recent example Pangos is a scoring guard more than a point guard. But he was good and talented enough to sink dagger shot after dagger shot.

We need good guards- if they are shoot first so be it. Though I was admit we need more ball-handling ability on this team. When Winder graduates I hope someone is ready to pick up the slack against pressure D.
i'd consider Westbrook very much a pg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Westbrook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lebron, Wade and Chalmers can all handle the ball and a full court press. BYU has no one who does this proficiently.

You basically answered your own question with "we need more ball-handling ability on this team."

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Cougs_Rule wrote:And officially and completely, honorably released. This time he will not be returning. It will be awesome for him to have over nine months to finish rehab, blend with the team and who knows, maybe even earn the starting PG spot. His on,y competition will be, I guess, Ellis? Then, and finally then, we won't have to hear Gunk whine about KC at the point. Just playing ;-)
Haha!

With Winder starting we have someone out there from the get go that can take it off the dribble.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel