Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What I like about Basketball

Post by BYULV »

Cougarbib wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:Funding for a replacement MC? Too much Maui wowee, bib. BYU has to get a much needed bball practice facility long before they need to replace the MC. There are no major flaws that need correction about the MC other than the ugly yellow seating. And BYU is and will continue to work on that.
Forever is a long time. Responsible institutions plan for obsolescence over an expected lifetime and set aside reserves to be ready when the time comes. Example. Many on here probably resided at Deseret Towers. My mother was a head resident. Try to find one of those buildings today.

Even if the MC is never replaced, plumbing, electrical, heating, and AC systems need to be replaced over time and much of that work can be quite invasive. And if the trend for smaller arenas with luxury boxes forces some changes, those would be costly. Modernized scoreboards, ribbons, sound systems - all expensive.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I don't think BYU would have any trouble raising funds to modernize the MC should they ever decide to. Seems about every year they're raising millions to build or update some building on campus.

The MC is used for more than just basketball games - weekly devotions, concerts, etc. It's a very utilitarian building.
Utilitarian for sure. But few of those things produce revenue or inspire donors like sports teams will. Like all other things, money can be raised in time. It only took a decade to get an indoor practice facility. My only point is that BYU Football operates at a surplus. If that surplus went away, more funds would need to be raised elsewhere or belts tightened or a little of both.

Now you're arguing two separate things, Bib. First you said all programs are subsidized by football and the arguments you have been defending against are saying Men's BBall would be fine on its own. Everyone agrees that football operates with a surplus and subsidizes every other sport, so I'm not sure why you're using the football surplus issue as your defense that BBall is dependent on football as well.

rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

Cougarbib wrote:
rblack wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Maybe. Maybe not. Consider the requirement to fund women's basketball if you have men's basketball. Does men's basketball fund that requirement? IDK.

If BYU ever drops football, I would expect to see the brand suffer for all sports.

BYU had an attendance of 238,131 for all basketball games last year. Assuming an average of $8 per ticket, BYU made about 2 million in basketball ticket sales alone. That is not including advertising, sponsorships, cougarclub, concessions, donations or TV revenues. By the time you add all those things in, the basketball team supports itself, even with the extra weight of carrying the women's team. By the way, attendance is up since we left the MWC.
http://www.ncaa.org/championships/stati ... attendance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I certainly agree that basketball is heavily subsidized by donations. Donation of the Mariott Center was huge. I hope they permanently endowed the maintenance of that building which is probably millions per year if you set aside for renovations and eventual replacement. The AD office has a sizeable administrative budget - probably funded heavily by football.

Donations would need to increase by the amount of any annual football surplus if football shut down, or all other sports would suffer.

Since being clear isn't sufficient, let me clarify my clarity. The basketball team funding is not in any way related to or dependent on the football funding. In fact, in my opinion, should football funding go away entirely, basketball funding will be sufficient to maintain basketball and all other sports at BYU. I don't want football to go away. I enjoy football. However, in my opinion, basketball does not need football in any way to survive.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

To be brutally clear. I never said basketball or any other sport needs football to SURVIVE. I did argue that the surplus that football generates subsidizes all other sports and thus would need to be made up from some other source or through brat tightening or probably both. Going on a diet and starving to death are two completely different things. In answer to LV, you can go on a diet and still be ok.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.