What I like about Basketball

BYU Cougars on the court.
rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What I like about Basketball

Post by rblack »

In basketball, you always have the chance of a national championship until you lose the last game. One loss doesn't kill you, even to a team you should never lose to. If you win in your conference championship, you go on. If you win in the NCAA, you go on. For a basketball fan, there is always hope. For a football fan, you don't have the same hope unless you are in the super special arbitrary "good" teams club that includes Duke, Northwestern and Vanderbilt but not BYU, Boise State among others.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Re: What I like about Basketball

Post by Gunk »

Football season, especially, as an independent is pretty much done with the first lost. Not that there still aren't some fun games to watch, but as you say there is nothing left to hope for. Not even a rivalry to look forward to, not that we've done well with those under Bronco, but still nothing left for Football.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Glad to know I am not the only one, considering not paying much attention to BYU football.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I agree. I really like that aspect. What I dislike is that I don't find it anywhere near as fun or exciting as football.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:I agree. I really like that aspect. What I dislike is that I don't find it anywhere near as fun or exciting as football.
I am a huge basketball fan as well as football, but at the moment I find the excitement level lacking for me personally in both sports since the move to Independence in football and the WCC in basketball. Outside of Gonzaga, there isn't one conference opponent that I get very excited to watch in person. Back in the MWC days the games against UNLV, San Diego St., and New Mexico were some epic battles in the MC. Don't get me wrong, I love cheering for the Cougars in both sports, but for me it's not the same as it once was :~(

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Wolverine wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I agree. I really like that aspect. What I dislike is that I don't find it anywhere near as fun or exciting as football.
I am a huge basketball fan as well as football, but at the moment I find the excitement level lacking for me personally in both sports since the move to Independence in football and the WCC in basketball. Outside of Gonzaga, there isn't one conference opponent that I get very excited to watch in person. Back in the MWC days the games against UNLV, San Diego St., and New Mexico were some epic battles in the MC. Don't get me wrong, I love cheering for the Cougars in both sports, but for me it's not the same as it once was :~(
Unfortunately you're right. The WCC has been a great place to land, but it's less exciting in terms of overall opponents.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

hawkwing wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Unfortunately you're right. The WCC has been a great place to land, but it's less exciting in terms of overall opponents.
There are some nice story lines developing out of the WCC. We have nice little rivalries with USF and SMC going in addition to Gonzaga.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Gunk wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
There are some nice story lines developing out of the WCC. We have nice little rivalries with USF and SMC going in addition to Gonzaga.
Oh I agree that USF coach Rex Walters is easy to dislike, though I'm not exactly sure why, and Dellavadova and Waldo made it easy to dislike SMC. With that being said, it's not the same for me as it once was, but I will still make the trip down from Idaho on several occasions this winter to cheer on Coach Rose and the team.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

The WCC is garbage and it makes us play down to said garbage. Last season our best games were against top competition on big stages. But then conference play begins. 400 spectator gyms and volleyball schools don't excite us fans or the players one bit. But, yes, it's true the season goes on no matter the losses. Pretty much each season comes down to Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be in a different conference than the WCC, but it is what it is.

Thanks a lot, football...