Austin Leading Rebounder - What Say You?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Austin Leading Rebounder - What Say You?

Post by Cougarbib »

Haws was not the only one to get a little respect recently.

The forgotten and under appreciated rebounding machine got some, too.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Austin Leading Rebounder - What Say You?

Post by craigoscarson »

Austin is 1. Not forgotten 2. Not a rebounding "machine"

rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

It is interesting that Sports Illustrated would project him as the #2 rebounder in the country.
He was second on the team last year in average per game; however, he had a lot fewer minutes than Collingsworth.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... pe=default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'd settle for him not making us play 4v5 when we're on offense.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Keep in mind Austins minutes quite often were not due to having other players in there to do his job (or rather stated there wasn't a better option that cost him minutes last year), but that he was in foul trouble.
I don't anticipate his minutes will improve and there are other bigs that will get minutes. Austin often played the 4 with Mika as the 5, but now we have guys that can play the 4 (the way our offense is meant to) stretch 4 and we are in need of 5s, something that Austin has struggled to play. I expect as a senior he'll be improved, but he's not going to surprise us and become a dominant scorer or rebounder. Good rebounder, yes.. glass cleaner.. no..

Next year with a more experienced Aytes, Kaufusi, Kyle Davis (very underrated transfer... I would have traded Carlino for Davis last year in a heartbeat.. so we actually improve getting more than we lost... unfortunately we have to wait a year to see the benefit), Nielsen, and senior Collinsworth.. we will be an amazing rebounding team. This year we will be so-so and our frontcourt will cost us some games. I am happy to see some depth; foul trouble or injury (Mikas eye) crushed us in some games where otherwise we would have put the game away sooner, or we would have won where we actually lost (one more big against Iowa State for example)

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Um, if Austin is getting significant minutes this year then we're still not an above average team. Offense is 4 on 5 with him on the floor. And he doesn't change shots on D or stay in front of his man w/o fouling so I'm not a fan of him being a "machine" of anything if we are to progress this year.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

He ended on a high note last season when it came to rebounding. Was the only thing he was doing really well. Hope he can keep it going. At his height he should be grabbing them right and left.

I really want to like Austin. I really want him to light it up. His first year he was a bright spot.

He gives it his all. You can count on that.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Gunk wrote:He ended on a high note last season when it came to rebounding. Was the only thing he was doing really well. Hope he can keep it going. At his height he should be grabbing them right and left.

I really want to like Austin. I really want him to light it up. His first year he was a bright spot.

Sounds like a guy who should go play for Bronco!

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

mizzoucoug wrote:
Gunk wrote:He ended on a high note last season when it came to rebounding. Was the only thing he was doing really well. Hope he can keep it going. At his height he should be grabbing them right and left.

Sounds like a guy who should go play for Bronco!
why would he do that? He can play for Rose who doesn't require as much intensity from his players!