Watched part of BoomShakala

BYU Cougars on the court.
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Watched part of BoomShakala

Post by ABYUFAN »

Against my better judgment I rewached the first (and last ) parts of the 3 point shooting contest.

Fischer was 12 of 20 on the 3's (60%)
Halford was also 12-20 (60%)

Erin Thorn was 15 of 20 (75%) including missing her last three shots

I guess that 60% for unguarded, timed 3 point shooting isn't bad. I was just amazed that they were so easily outclassed by Thorn

kjjson
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by kjjson »

I'm surprised so many people are upset that the best shooter of the night was Erin Thorn. I went to high school with Erin and she has been as "automatic" from three as they come. Her BYU career 3 point % was 41.2% (391-949), and that was before 10 years of playing professionally. In comparison, Jimmer was a career 39.4% while at BYU (296-752) and Jimmer only had 1 year where he shot a better percentage than any of Erin's 4 years.

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

kjjson wrote:I'm surprised so many people are upset that the best shooter of the night was Erin Thorn. I went to high school with Erin and she has been as "automatic" from three as they come. Her BYU career 3 point % was 41.2% (391-949), and that was before 10 years of playing professionally. In comparison, Jimmer was a career 39.4% while at BYU (296-752) and Jimmer only had 1 year where he shot a better percentage than any of Erin's 4 years.
Keep in mind they could do that again and Erin could go 12/20 and either Halford or Fischer could have gone 15/20 ... it's fairly meaningless. She was hot on the night (shooting girls balls at the same size rim, there is a small advantage there) and historically a great shooter.. I'm baffled by almost anything that people think they gained as far as info on the team in that silly event... The only thing that jumped out at me was how big Aytes looked (He's built like Larry Johnson) and that Luke Worthington didn't appear even the slightest bit more coordinated.

Corbin is big and strong, Tyler has lost some weight, Halford has gained some weight, Isaac Nielsen is tall and can jump a little, Aytes looks like a man, and Luke Worthington doesn't look like a D1 basketball player.. I'm not sure what else anyone saw that could be used to forecast our season... one round of shooting hoops or running an obstacle course teaches me nothing... I know dudes at church ball that can shoot 12/20 from 3 but they couldn't dream of playing D1 hoops, because exhibition crap is exhibition crap...

Paul Pierce won the 2010 3 pt shooting contest yet in 2002 had 8/30 possible points.. Dirk Nowitzki has also flopped in some 3 pt contests; he won it all in 2006 and had the worst score of all the next year...

I don't really care too much about the results of an event like this if the form is good, consistent, and enough go in to know that it could be repeated in a game. Chase Fischer has a beautiful shot... (Halford notsomuch)

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

At this point there isn't much to go off of - a lot of newbies - so why is it so hard to understand people taking what they are given and making projections off of those observations? Look at how each preseason football is scrutinized over and over.

Is the scrutiny really founded? Probably not. But it's a fan site where everything from the color of the uniform to the price of hot dogs is debated and carry massive implications. It's why if I were in charge of marketing, I wouldn't have done a skills exhibition (don't give your target audience something negative to talk about).

Based on what people have seen, outside shooting and passing could be an issue. Shooting certainly has been an issue for the last 3 years and perhaps enough wasn't given to wash away those concerns.

Personally, I wouldn't call 60% shooting from the arc much of an issue. I think it's great Erin beat the boys (will probably show my daughter). And, as we all know, shooters get streaky (Tav, MC, Emery, etc.).

I'm more concerned with our reliance on a surgically repaired knee, our lack of a PG, and Austin at the 5.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

I watched BoomShakala as well.
My thoughts on the season. Last year, BYU went to the NCAA tournament. Since then, they had two major losses. So, not necessarily in order of impact:
1. Mika - gone on a mission. I saw 3 new guys who look like they can fill in at the 4 and 5 spot. I thought Kafusi was impressive with his ability to get up in the air and his overall size. So, overall, I see an equal to slight downgrade at the 5 spot. An equal to slight upgrade at the 4 spot and a huge upgrade at the backups.
2. Carlino - transferred. I liked Carlino and I think we will miss him. However, it is important to remember that he was not a starter last year; although he got a lot of minutes. I think Fischer will be an equal to slight downgrade.
We have more experience, more depth and a team that is at least as good if not better than last year.
I am not a basketball expert; however, I think that BYU has a floor of being right on the bubble (one side or the other). I think BYU has a ceiling of a deep run in the tournament. The major unknown is Collingsworth. However, I think that, even with him not recovering fully, BYU is at worst a bubble team. If Collingsworth is healthy, BYU will be a dangerous team.

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Gunk wrote:My expectations are low this season. Third in WCC and NIT bound.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
still feel that way? I think you're wrong