Watched part of BoomShakala

BYU Cougars on the court.
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Watched part of BoomShakala

Post by Wolverine »

Gunk wrote:My expectations are low this season. Third in WCC and NIT bound.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I will raise your expectations by one. Second in WCC and on to Dayton once more in the last 4 in Play-in game. Actually, there are so many new pieces that I don't think we will see the true identity of this team until Christmas. I am cautiously optimistic until I find myself sans blue goggles, and then I become downright concerned :bug:

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Wait, did they actually scrimmage or is everyone basing their predictions on skills competitions?

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

mizzoucoug wrote:Wait, did they actually scrimmage or is everyone basing their predictions on skills competitions?
No scrimmage, just a few skills competitions, (3 point shootout, "skills challenge" and Slam Dunk contest.) Intersting that the purpose is to get folks excited for theseason, but it seems to be doing just the opposite, at least for a few of those who watched it.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

ABYUFAN wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:Wait, did they actually scrimmage or is everyone basing their predictions on skills competitions?
No scrimmage, just a few skills competitions, (3 point shootout, "skills challenge" and Slam Dunk contest.) Intersting that the purpose is to get folks excited for theseason, but it seems to be doing just the opposite, at least for a few of those who watched it.
Well, when you have a 3-pt contest and the best shooters are a coach and former player from the women's team and your men's team's shooters were quite pedestrian people get concerned about the team's ability to knock down outside shots - which is something this team has lacked for several seasons. It makes you wonder how they'll shoot when the lights actually go on and it's not some glorified exposition.

When you have a skills and passing competition and you have players taking three and four attempts to hit a pass from 8-feet away, it makes people question the passing ability of the team. And post entry passing has been an issue for a few years.

When you have a dunk contest and the dunks are not spectacular and feature multiple missed dunks by the player it may make people question how athletic this team is - which is something that people have questioned about the Cougars since Jimmer and Jax left.

So yes, while it was just a skills competition, it was a skills competition that shows that many of the question marks may not have been answered.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

If I were in charge of marketing for the BYU basketball team, I would not do these types of "competitions." Yes, I see the value of it in drumming up buzz and excitement for the team, but essentially they are beauty contests and the odds of creating disappointment are just as high as creating excitement. Unless you are confident you're the prettiest contestant, don't stand up on the stage.

I remember going to the BYU basketball extravaganza or whatever it was called back in 1996. Yes, the same 1996 team that went 1 - 25. Five minutes into the show it was pretty obvious the team sucked - everyone was like, "Really, this is our basketball team? I can play better that that."

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

The pessimism over a stupid preseason event is crazy here.

This team will make the NCAA tourney provided KC gets and stays healthy

This team does NOT have a lot of competition for 2nd place in the conference.

We're better than most of you think. Not world beaters, but I think we'll surprise people once we get Aytes and KC is 100%.

If KC can't go, then maybe I'll agree with you guys... but this team is better than the silly take home from a preseason party....

We'll win 20-24 games and eek our way into the NCAAs..... something that 260 or so teams will wish they could do this year.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Gunk wrote:If I were in charge of marketing for the BYU basketball team, I would not do these types of "competitions." Yes, I see the value of it in drumming up buzz and excitement for the team, but essentially they are beauty contests and the odds of creating disappointment are just as high as creating excitement. Unless you are confident you're the prettiest contestant, don't stand up on the stage.

I remember going to the BYU basketball extravaganza or whatever it was called back in 1996. Yes, the same 1996 team that went 1 - 25. Five minutes into the show it was pretty obvious the team sucked - everyone was like, "Really, this is our basketball team? I can play better that that."
You guys are putting wayyyy too much stock into this silly event. Our team will be good, not great, but there was very little concrete takeaway from this "beauty contest" It's a chance to get to know the team as people, less about as players.

KC when healthy is an all american and many coaches have called him a pro to be.

Tyler is a 20-25 ppg scorer that is now a senior and has focused his entire summer on defense and physical fitness

Anson Winder is a senior and a leader now

Frank Bartley is still an insanely good athlete and defender is now a soph

I don't know what you were all watching but Chase Fischer put on a show and can shoot it, his teammate (lexi Eaton) couldn't hit the broadside of a barn...

Austin is a senior and finished last season very very well

We have a lot of bigs that can come in when we have foul trouble... last year we started Luke Worthington at times... we freaking started Luke Worthington... we won't have to do that this year. We also have different types of 4-5s so we can mix and match a lot better without having to put KC at the 4.

We have depth and one of these freshmen (I predict Toolson) will be a very nice surprise. Toolson can do everything that Tyler can, just at the freshman level (and he's a better rebounder... he averaged 30/15 in high school last yr)

I also think we'll be a much better team at the end of the season than the beginning...

Very little can be seriously construed from this boomshakalaka, except that I will probably ridicule you later in the season for thinking that what happened there has anything to do with what happens on the court.. with one exception... Luke Worthington still looks unathletic and out of place..

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm calling my shot now. KC will not be healthy to start the year and will not last the entire season.

I have no confidence in a player coming back from an ACL injury in seven months.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

I guess you do what you have to do to earn your money, but the BYU announcers lost serious creed with that performance. It was painful....As for the competition itself, I'm not able to forecast based on it, but man some of the three point attempts BARELY hit the rim...Ouch! I turned it off. How much did the crowd pay to see that? Was it free?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BoiseBYU wrote:I guess you do what you have to do to earn your money, but the BYU announcers lost serious creed with that performance. It was painful....As for the competition itself, I'm not able to forecast based on it, but man some of the three point attempts BARELY hit the rim...Ouch! I turned it off. How much did the crowd pay to see that? Was it free?
Free.

I went last year, didn't go this year.