Cougar Tipoff

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Cougar Tipoff

Post by craigoscarson »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I wouldn't look for many players to get red shirted, especially since Aytes is now likely out for the year. BYU is already over the scholarship limit for the next 2 years, and Aytes will take up the last one in 3 years now.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I expect that Chatman will be redshirted and no one else; Aytes could get his season back as a medical redshirt, which is ideal if he's truly the answer at 4 because then we would have him for full seasons instead of 3.5.

The scholarship crunch is real, but missions and injury could help settle that. Someone will transfer in 3 years, because we're going to be loaded at the 4-5.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

The 4/5 position is rich unlike I've even known it at BYU. I've been impressed with Nelson, Austin is Austin, Kaufusi looked serviceable at the tipoff, Worthington looks slightly improved.
Chase Fisher is a good game manager from his position, not as electric as Carlino, but a bigger threat than Cusick.
I think we'll win at least half our games. ;)

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

BroncoBot wrote:The 4/5 position is rich unlike I've even known it at BYU. I've been impressed with Nelson, Austin is Austin, Kaufusi looked serviceable at the tipoff, Worthington looks slightly improved.
Chase Fisher is a good game manager from his position, not as electric as Carlino, but a bigger threat than Cusick.
I think there's a lot to be seen from Fischer still, but even mentioning him in the same breath as Cusick is a bit off, they're not even in the same realm. I think we will see a legitimate 3rd threat from Fischer that we have been looking for this year. He has a very nice shot with range, can drive the basket and showed some nice passing. If he is less electric than Carlino, hopefully he is a better decision maker. If Collinsworth is healthy, I love the guard combo of Collinsworth, Fischer and Haws.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYULV wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:The 4/5 position is rich unlike I've even known it at BYU. I've been impressed with Nelson, Austin is Austin, Kaufusi looked serviceable at the tipoff, Worthington looks slightly improved.
I think there's a lot to be seen from Fischer still, but even mentioning him in the same breath as Cusick is a bit off, they're not even in the same realm. I think we will see a legitimate 3rd threat from Fischer that we have been looking for this year. He has a very nice shot with range, can drive the basket and showed some nice passing. If he is less electric than Carlino, hopefully he is a better decision maker. If Collinsworth is healthy, I love the guard combo of Collinsworth, Fischer and Haws.
cusick was a 40% 3pt shooter while at BYU. If fisher keeps up with that I'll be estatic. Cusick, while he wasn't flashy (and I get the same vibe from fisher) was a great game manager and was great at spelling Carlino when he got out of control. Just trying to compare to previous players is all.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote:
BYULV wrote:
cusick was a 40% 3pt shooter while at BYU. If fisher keeps up with that I'll be estatic. Cusick, while he wasn't flashy (and I get the same vibe from fisher) was a great game manager and was great at spelling Carlino when he got out of control. Just trying to compare to previous players is all.
If you mean game manager as in slowing an up-tempo offense down to a crawl, yes Cusick was a great game manager...

I sincerely hope Fischer isn't anything like Cusick.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BYULV wrote:
If you mean game manager as in slowing an up-tempo offense down to a crawl, yes Cusick was a great game manager...

And I hope that he's nowhere near the free throw brick layer that Cusick was, that was painful to watch!

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BYULV wrote:

And I hope that he's nowhere near the free throw brick layer that Cusick was, that was painful to watch!

I always felt that Cusick should have offered to give back his points after watching him shoot from the hip like he did. Very ugly shot. Surprised he didn't get blocked more often, but he didn't, for the same reason his % was high, he only took wide open threes. Even then, he passed on a lot of open threes that he really should have taken. If you don't put pressure on the defense by making them guard you, it makes it harder for the rest of your team.