#11 in college ball this year

BYU Cougars on the court.
mendyman
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

#11 in college ball this year

Post by mendyman »

"Going to make a lot of $$$ in the NBA" ESPN talking head (Seth Greenberg) regarding Tyler

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11762062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm on board!
Last edited by mendyman on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's high time we replace the ideal of success with the ideal of service- Albert Einstein
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: #11 in college ball this year

Post by Qman »

I assume this video will be about Haws? I just don't see how he fits in the NBA defensively. Too slow to guard 2's and too small to guard 3's. He give a great effort and maybe that will be enough for a bench role given his scoring ability. Tyler is a great shooter/scorer but he can't effectively run the P'n'R.

He will get looks in the 2nd round but if wants to play pro ball he might do better in Europe.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

If Jimmer can't make it in the NBA, I don't see how Haws can.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

mendyman wrote:Going to make a lot of $$$ in the NBA

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11762062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm on board!
Thanks for posting this. Until it's proven otherwise I am also on board.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Haws strikes me as a Jeff Malone type player, and shooting guard who isn't quite an NBA distance three point threat - is spectacular in the mid range jumper and nothing else. I don't think that there is much room in the NBA for those types anymore. That said, he is an increadibly fun college player to watch! I'm glad he's our guy for another year

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:If Jimmer can't make it in the NBA, I don't see how Haws can.
Umm.....Jimmer is in the NBA. I am sure your "can't make it in the NBA" comment refers to starting and/or playing significant role and minutes, etc. IMO, Jimmer has made it in the NBA. Whether or not he continues to make it in the NBA will be seen, as it will be with Haws. Whether Haws "makes it in the NBA" or not, I'm glad he's a Cougar.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Wolverine wrote:
hawkwing wrote:If Jimmer can't make it in the NBA, I don't see how Haws can.
Umm.....Jimmer is in the NBA. I am sure your "can't make it in the NBA" comment refers to starting and/or playing significant role and minutes, etc. IMO, Jimmer has made it in the NBA. Whether or not he continues to make it in the NBA will be seen, as it will be with Haws. Whether Haws "makes it in the NBA" or not, I'm glad he's a Cougar.
I'm glad Haws is on our time too, I love his game.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I think Haws has a shot at a better NBA career than Jimmer.

Jimmer's biggest problem is he quite isn't a PG and quite isn't a SG. Where do you put him. Haws doesn't have that problem. The differences between the 2 and 3 aren't as big.

Haws can come off any screen & score. His release is so quick. He has a turn around & he's showing he can hit 3s. A team with a PG that likes to take it off the dribble would benefit from a player like Haws immensely.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Gunk wrote:I think Haws has a shot at a better NBA career than Jimmer.

Jimmer's biggest problem is he quite isn't a PG and quite isn't a SG. Where do you put him. Haws doesn't have that problem. The differences between the 2 and 3 aren't as big.

Haws can come off any screen & score. His release is so quick. He has a turn around & he's showing he can hit 3s. A team with a PG that likes to take it off the dribble would benefit from a player like Haws immensely.

The thing I worry about is how super athletic teams like Oregon bother Tyler. The NBA is full of super athletic 2's and 3's. Maybe Tyler will be able to out work them around screens but they are going to attack him on the other end of the floor.

BTW does Tyler have NBA range? College 3's always like a little bit of struggle for him. Or maybe his midrange shot is just so smooth.

IMO Tyler will be hoping to make one of the last spots on a roster. I think he would be happier playing a big role on a European team.

He has worked very hard and maximized his talent, but his body may not allow him to play.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Qman wrote:
Gunk wrote:I think Haws has a shot at a better NBA career than Jimmer.

The thing I worry about is how super athletic teams like Oregon bother Tyler. The NBA is full of super athletic 2's and 3's. Maybe Tyler will be able to out work them around screens but they are going to attack him on the other end of the floor.

BTW does Tyler have NBA range? College 3's always like a little bit of struggle for him. Or maybe his midrange shot is just so smooth.

IMO Tyler will be hoping to make one of the last spots on a roster. I think he would be happier playing a big role on a European team.

He has worked very hard and maximized his talent, but his body may not allow him to play.
I think we'll see Haws taking a lot more 3s this season. He took 5 against Long Beach, which is above his normal clip. I think he has the range. He will certainly need to show he does. If Davies can develop somewhat of a 3 point shot in the NBA, I think Haws would be able to.

I agree. The NBA is full of feakishly athletic 2s and 3s. But a lot of these athletic 2s and 3s are inconsistent (hot one night, stone cold the next). Haws' consistency is his biggest strength and if you're an NBA coach you have to like that. Tough and consistent is what he'll have to go with.

If he breaks Jimmer's record and is in the top 5 of scorers, he's going to the NBA. May not be in the first round, but he'll go.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel