Little Rock

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Little Rock

Post by Gunk »

beauso79 wrote: I really don't have a lot of faith in Halford vs better opponents and I think Nixon will be a key component to our offense if he can develop/catch up fast enough. Toolson can give Haws a breather when needed but Haws will log a lot of minutes so his development will likely be pretty slow. Just imagine if Aytes is not Red-Shirted you could then give him Worthington's minutes.
I'm with you on Halford. When he scores it's almost like a surprise - "Oh, where did that come from."

Halford gets pushed around a bit on defense and offense. With the ball he basically has to get around defenders. On defense, you'll notice an opponent can push into him and he'll go back a step or two which give the opponent enough space to shoot or drive.

Winder is bigger/stronger with just as good if not better handles. On defense, Winder isn't going to get pushed off as much and with the ball Winder can muscle his way through traffic. Better length too.

I'm still not sold on Kaufusi. The athleticism is there but once he get the ball he's no better than Nielson. Right now, Worthington over Kaufuis in my book. Worthington, I think, does a decent job on defense and can use his size a bit more.

All our bigs need to work on free throws.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Gunk wrote:
Qman wrote:I have thought about what this team could have been with mature Carlino. But those days will never happen.
Rose's offense is run 'n gun. While it's easy to look at Carlino and blame his failures on him, some of the fault does need to be put on Rose who preaches run 'n gun. Marquette runs a half court set offense. So, we'll see to different Carlino's.

Fischer probably suits Rose offense a bit more than Carlino as he's a bit more patient; however, Fischer plays the 2 not the 1. So comparing Fischer to Carlino is a bit like apples and oranges. If Carlino were on the team, they would not be competing for minutes against each other and in fact would probably be a very potent duo. Imagine what Carlino (one of the best passers we've seen at BYU) could do with Haws and Fischer on the court.

For the last several years one of the biggest holes in BYU's offense has been the 2. We haven't had a legit shooting guard in a long time. The last one we had was probably Emery, but even then Emery wasn't the greatest shooter.

Carlino had no 2 to work with and essentially had to play the role of a 2 while also playing PG. I certainly lean towards being a Carlino apologist, but I do think some perspective is only fair.
I think we mostly agree. I think with Carlino we would be an awesome team who would have a real chance of unseat Gonzaga and making a tourney run.

By 'mature' I meant him sacrificing parts of his game to help the team. He did come off the bench last year and made some sacrifices to help the team. But then he transferred.

But enough about Carlino. I am interested in this years' team.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Granted our opponents weren't world beaters, but I was impressed with how the bench managed to grow leads when they were in and how interchangeable guys like Nixon, Austin etc. were.

I think we sucked in the 1st game, our depth is wearing on teams. We're fresh at the end and they're not. This bodes well for us if we can find a way to get past SDSU next week, but if not, we will boatrace Chaminade and the rest of the consolation bracket... but the biggest take home is that we're built for the WCC tourney. We can handle back to back games with our depth.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Carlino was always, and still would be our best passer. When you have the ball, someone has to take shots. Too often he was the guy holding the ball when everyone else (including Haws and KColl) were standing around. So, he goes somewhere with an actual post presence and he feeds the post. It isn't weird, and it isn't coaching. He has someone to PASS the ball to! He looked for Haws coming off double screens plenty (when Haws wasn't gassed in the first half). Oh well, he isn't here. Fischer isn't an upgrade at this point, not at the point guard slot. When they start playing teams that actually matter we'll see what kind of team BYU is. Right now, it looks kind of disjointed, but I'll take the Ws and hope that cheistry is the issue, and that it improves with more face time.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Well there are a lot of new faces on the court. It will take time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image