Lot to work on.

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Lot to work on.

Post by BroncoBot »

I don't know if it's a case of "playing to the level of the opponent", or BYU hasn't gelled, or if the rotations that Rose is using are just for fun OR if Rose is treating these first 3 games as simply extra practice... BUT... I have a lot of concerns for this team.

#1. Who is going to handle the ball??? I haven't seen anyone who I believe is a true PG/game manager. Fischer, while I'm VERY glad we have him, isn't a true PG and his handles have been questionable so far. Winder? maybe BYU's best option. this scares me more than anything about this team.

#2 disorganized play. BYU (with any combo of players) should be curb stomping these teams from tip off to final buzzer. turnovers have been an issue. The offense looks like a church ball game. BYU's athleticism is perhaps at its lowest level in years which has contributed to teams sticking around in games. This team is several notches down from the one that nearly knocked off Iowa state and Wichita state just a year ago. Bartley has some explosion, but when SVU is beating guys off the dribble nearly every trip down the floor, it makes me wonder what Gonzaga or SDSU is going to do with BYU this year. Things could get ugly when when BYU faces a team with a tandem of true guards who pride themselves with defense (SDSU?).

#3 uninspired play. Except for an elbow from Nate Austin when 4 guys were draped all over him, I can't remember a more passionless group of players. BYU has lost a lot of 50/50 balls, maybe that's just my perception (I'm generally only noticing the negative while watching basketball if you haven't noticed from this post). Not a huge fan of Fischer flopping around on fast breaks trying to get a call, JUST TAKE THE BALL TO THE HOOP YOUNG MAN. Haws needs to quit complaining like Kobe after ever call that doesn't go his way.

OK, I'm done. Looking forward to a fun year of BYU basketball. 8) BYU has some very good young players and could make a nice run by years end, but they have a long road ahead of them which will feature some big bumps and growing pains.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Lot to work on.

Post by Wolverine »

Not sure what you were expecting to see tonight? A shutout? We will all know so much more about this team after 3 games in Maui next week. I will reserve initial judgement until then.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

For all the talk of Kentucky just blasting Kansas last night, they were trailing Buffalo at half time just 2 days before. A lot of these types of games are close early, any then the better team goes on a 20 to 2 run and it's over.

The LBSU game is the most concerning of the 3, but they got hot from 3. The 3 point shot in college can be the great equalizer.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

I only watched a small part of this game so far but on the general comments about the offense and defense.

When we actually run the offense and move the ball our guard line are very dangerous players. But they doesn't break down anyone one on one. KC when healthy is an exception. And we don't really have a post option other than KC and sometimes Haws.

On D I think our rotations are fine when our main guys are playing. The younger players screw rotations up a lot. I think a lot of our issues will look better when Winder, Fischer, Austin, Haws and KC play the bulk of the minutes.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Here's what I'm worried about: 3's, free throws, and big men.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

The lack of handles is glaring. KC does not have them. He never really did and now he's a step behind coming off his injury. Winder is our best bet there. Halford is serviceable. Halford does seem to have a better eye for the open man.

I like Fischer, but as pointed out he is not a Carlino replacement. He's the plug for the hole at the 2 spot we've had for the last half decade. He does jerk his head around. Dellawhatever did that a lot at SMC and it was annoying. Keep that head focused on getting to the rim. He gets stripped A LOT when going to the rim.

Haws needs to let the game come to him. If I had to guess he may be putting a lot of pressure on himself to get 20+ a night. He's forcing shots and when he is off he's grumpy. Said it before, Haws will suffer the most from the lack of a true PG. There is no one feeding him, creating for him.

I actually think we're hustling quite a bit. Guys were diving on the floor last night even when up 25 points.

Our success will come down to defense and transition baskets. Rose needs to start the best defenders on the team.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I thought the team calmed down when Ellis came in.

I think the team did not have a serious approach to the game. They were clearly not mentally ready to play a team that they should (and eventually did) beat by 50 points.

But props to coaches for getting the players' attention and getting them to focus. That's actually two straight games of good defnsive focus.

I know it's somewhat skewed, but they've forced 40 turnovers and had 28 steals the last two games. And they've held the opponents to a combined .317 from the floor and .231 from three. The last two opponents have only scored .349 of their possible points if they made every shot.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

SpiffCoug wrote:I thought the team calmed down when Ellis came in.

I think the team did not have a serious approach to the game. They were clearly not mentally ready to play a team that they should (and eventually did) beat by 50 points.

But props to coaches for getting the players' attention and getting them to focus. That's actually two straight games of good defnsive focus.

I know it's somewhat skewed, but they've forced 40 turnovers and had 28 steals the last two games. And they've held the opponents to a combined .317 from the floor and .231 from three. The last two opponents have only scored .349 of their possible points if they made every shot.
I appreciate your optimism.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I really liked Ellis. Really hope he sees more minutes. Team needs a marshal out there keeping the throttle in check and took some gonads coming off the bench and telling the team, "Patience. Patience." He could have easily just gone with the chaos.

Out of all the guards, I think Ellis is the most PG-like.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

Gunk wrote:

I really liked Ellis. Really hope he sees more minutes. Team needs a marshal out there keeping the throttle in check and took some gonads coming off the bench and telling the team, "Patience. Patience." He could have easily just gone with the chaos.

Out of all the guards, I think Ellis is the most PG-like.
What about Frank Bartley IV?? Everybody has said he plays out of control which was true in the past but he has looked pretty good so far at PG this year. His stat line from Wednesday: 4 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals, and 2 blocks. I think Frank looks much improved so far and I would take him over Halford