Lot to work on.

BYU Cougars on the court.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Lot to work on.

Post by BYULV »

I don't understand why coach rose feels the need to start Collinsworth at this point in the season. He is not currently one of our best 5 players (though, no doubt will become one of top 3 players as season progresses). Unless he wants to make sure Kyle is warm to start the game, we have numerous players currently playing better than Kyle. Work him back in slowly off the bench and move him into starting position when he's ready.

rblack
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by rblack »

He is bringing Collingsworth along slowly. He limited him to 15 minutes in the first game, which was close, pushed him a little on minutes in the second game, which was a blowout and rested him in the third game. What would you like him to do? Collingworth needs minutes. However, it would be nice for him to have minutes without creating losses. So far, Rose has done this. In addition to getting him quality minutes without creating losses, he made sure that, for at least one game, the team had to function entirely without him. I expect that, as the strength of opponents goes up, we will see Collingsworth off the floor more than on; however, I'm fine with Collingsworth being on the floor right now for as long as he can against teams like Arkansas - Little Rock.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BYULV wrote:I don't understand why coach rose feels the need to start Collinsworth at this point in the season. He is not currently one of our best 5 players (though, no doubt will become one of top 3 players as season progresses). Unless he wants to make sure Kyle is warm to start the game, we have numerous players currently playing better than Kyle. Work him back in slowly off the bench and move him into starting position when he's ready.
Tend to agree on this one. Bring him off the bench and keep him away from PG duties. Play him as a 3 to spell Haws or as a 4 when against smaller lineups.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BYULV »

rblack wrote:He is bringing Collingsworth along slowly. He limited him to 15 minutes in the first game, which was close, pushed him a little on minutes in the second game, which was a blowout and rested him in the third game. What would you like him to do? Collingworth needs minutes. However, it would be nice for him to have minutes without creating losses. So far, Rose has done this. In addition to getting him quality minutes without creating losses, he made sure that, for at least one game, the team had to function entirely without him. I expect that, as the strength of opponents goes up, we will see Collingsworth off the floor more than on; however, I'm fine with Collingsworth being on the floor right now for as long as he can against teams like Arkansas - Little Rock.
I agree with the need for playing time, but I don't think Collinsworth needs to be starting until he is starting material, especially at point guard. We could be using the starting time to get chemistry built with the backup point guard or the ultimate starting point if collinsworth isn't ready to go full out soon. Collinsworth needs playing time, but not necessarily time with the starters. Other point guards could really use that time with the starters