SDSU

BYU Cougars on the court.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: SDSU

Post by BoiseBYU »

And I am still torqued by the no call Haws take down at the end of the first OT!!

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

BoiseBYU wrote:And I am still torqued by the no call Haws take down at the end of the first OT!!
We don't even need that call if we properly defend and secure the ball on the other side though. We had the W and coughed it up. Hard to blame the refs for that... though also hard to watch Tyler get mugged in what would have been a game winning pair of free throws.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Yeah, to have Austin foul out on a nonsense call and then to get a no-call for Haws on the other end was absurd.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

craigoscarson wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:And I am still torqued by the no call Haws take down at the end of the first OT!!
We don't ebven need that call if we properly defend and secure the ball on the other side though. We had the W and coughed it up. Hard to blame the refs for that... though also hard to watch Tyler get mugged in what would have been a game winning pair of free throws.
Understood. But it was a total takedown and literally right in front of the ref who froze like a deer in the headlights.

coachK
Recruit

Post by coachK »

We don't even need that call if we properly defend and secure the ball on the other side though. We had the W and coughed it up. Hard to blame the refs for that... though also hard to watch Tyler get mugged in what would have been a game winning pair of free throws.[/quote]

No it's not. Kaufusi had a great block, they did get a steal, but the refs let a blatant travel go so that they could get a second look at a 3. BYU took care of things. The refs blew 2 calls.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BoiseBYU wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
We don't ebven need that call if we properly defend and secure the ball on the other side though. We had the W and coughed it up. Hard to blame the refs for that... though also hard to watch Tyler get mugged in what would have been a game winning pair of free throws.
Understood. But it was a total takedown and literally right in front of the ref who froze like a deer in the headlights.
It was a pretty blatant no call.

That said, we shot 50% from the line during regulation. One more made free-throw and we win in regulation. Kaufusi in particular was horrendous from the line. Guy needs to learn to shoot free throws because he'll be going to the line a lot.

I'm a broken record on this, but before last night SDSU was shooting 20% from the arc. Last night they shot 44%. Quinn drained 6 three-pointers on us last night. He took 15. 15!!! The fact a single player got off 15 three-pointers in one night should tell you something about our perimeter defense.

Haws shot poorly on the night. Real poorly. While he lit it up behind the arc, he was strangely poor from mid range. He went 9 - 24 (38%). He shoots his typical 45% and it's a different story.

In general, BYU shot poorly last night (38%). Before last night we were shooting 53%. SDSU shot 48.5%, their highest performance on the season so far.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Believe it or not, the opponent may have had something to do with BYU not shooting as well last night.

SDSU isn't exactly SVU, Arkansas Little Rock, or Long Beach State.

More concerning is SDSU shooting better from behind the arc than they did against Cal State Northridge and CSU Bakersfield and shooting better overall against BYU on the road than they did against those CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners at home.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'll take holding any team to 33.3% shooting from 3.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

snoscythe wrote:Believe it or not, the opponent may have had something to do with BYU not shooting as well last night.

SDSU isn't exactly SVU, Arkansas Little Rock, or Long Beach State.

More concerning is SDSU shooting better from behind the arc than they did against Cal State Northridge and CSU Bakersfield and shooting better overall against BYU on the road than they did against those CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners at home.
I wouldn't characterize it so much as SDSU as a team shot the ball all that much better. Quinn sure did and his pure volume of attempts and makes definitely inflated the overall percentage. I think everyone, SDSU included, knew they would eventually shoot the ball better. Unfortunately it was last night.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:I'll take holding any team to 33.3% shooting from 3.
Really? any team?

Looks like 33.3% is "average". 170 of 351 teams worse than 33.3%. SDSU shooting 26.3% on the year so far (after their season high vs BYU).

BY the way, SDSU surpassed every offensive measure out there vs BYU when compared to their average of the rest of their year. It was not a good performance by BYU defense.

This is like saying you'd be OK with holding a team to a 130.7 in PER (football).