BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Typical BYU basketball game

Post by Gunk »

craigoscarson wrote:
Gunk wrote:Hmmm...we lost because of poor perimeter defense - SDSU shot 44% from the arc and another player had a career night shooting 3s against us - not because of poor post defense. We were so concerned with protecting the paint that we left the perimeter completely wide open. We did this all season last year, even with Mika.

We may have had big men that could defend the paint, which kept us in the game but we lost because of the same weaknesses that plagued us last year. Don't forget we shot 63% from the free throw line too. Before OT we were shooting 50% from the line.

Once again, we were relegated to playing zone because our opponent was over whelming us when playing man (our better bigs didn't help there). And once again, we left men wide open as we huddled in the middle of the court anytime someone got within a foot of the key, and once again we got out rebounded.
You're wrong. Our perimeter D isn't great but only one player hit any outside shots... Outside of Quinn, they were 3-12 from 3. Quinn was 4-14 prior to this game... It wasn't terrible perimeter D it was a hot shooter that was allowed to shoot 3s (that's one shot you can get off against a zone) They outrebounded us by 10... can you imagine how bad it would have been without Nielsen and Kaufusi? If Worthington and Sharp had to play the 4-5? It would never have made it to OT.

Without the zone, we get eaten alive inside. The tradeoff is letting a poor shooting team get some 3s off and they shot 33.% from 3..(same percentage they got against Utah, a very good perimeter defensive team) take away Quinn and they shot 25%... those are acceptable odds playing zone D. Losing the rebounding battle by 10 is not acceptable and that's with our new found depth... the entire post of the original post is "TYPICAL BYU BASKETBALL GAME" My point is that it wasn't typical at all. In fact I found it very encouraging. We were one called travel, one less turnover, one more made free throw (we shot poorly from the line), one mugging call of Haws, etc. (just one of any of those) from winning against a top 15 team on a neutral court. How is that not encouraging? How is that typical BYU basketball?

Our depth kept us in a game that we were physically and athletically overmatched in. They slowed down, we sped up in the 2nd half. That did not happen the last two years. It happened in this game. Ultimately 1-2 no calls or bad calls, an untimely turnover, one free throw cost us this game against a team that is unquestionably better than us.
One player took 15 three-pointers. He single handily kept SDSU in the game and we left him open all night long. We did this repeatedly last season, which cost us games. I get the zone was a trade-off. And if I am Rose, I try to get SDSU to take outside shots given their woeful shooting percentage. But, I'm sorry after the 4th three-pointer a body should have been on Quinn at all times.

I'm not taking anything away from our bigs. They held the fort down. They aren't the reason we lost.

Regarding depth, Rose basically only played 7 players last night. Worthington chipped in 8 min and Nixon 6. I don't think Worthington played a minute after the first half. Nixon might have briefly come off the bench.

Austin, Kaufusi, Nielson, Haws, KC, Fischer, and Winder literally did 94% of the heavy lifting. Literally. Out of the 250 minutes played by BYU players, those 7 played 234 of them. Austin, Fischer, Haws, KC, and Winder played 79% of the game.

It is great having Worthington, Kaufusi, Neilson and Austin to rotate in. I agree we have depth at the 4/5. But if yesterday is any indication as to the real talent on this team, there is only one viable sub for the backcourt. Rose basically used Winder all night long to spell KC, Haws, and Fischer. There are depth issues when playing superior talent and it's with the guards.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Gunk wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
Gunk wrote:Hmmm...we lost because of poor perimeter defense - SDSU shot 44% from the arc and another player had a career night shooting 3s against us - not because of poor post defense. We were so concerned with protecting the paint that we left the perimeter completely wide open. We did this all season last year, even with Mika.

We may have had big men that could defend the paint, which kept us in the game but we lost because of the same weaknesses that plagued us last year. Don't forget we shot 63% from the free throw line too. Before OT we were shooting 50% from the line.

Once again, we were relegated to playing zone because our opponent was over whelming us when playing man (our better bigs didn't help there). And once again, we left men wide open as we huddled in the middle of the court anytime someone got within a foot of the key, and once again we got out rebounded.
You're wrong. Our perimeter D isn't great but only one player hit any outside shots... Outside of Quinn, they were 3-12 from 3. Quinn was 4-14 prior to this game... It wasn't terrible perimeter D it was a hot shooter that was allowed to shoot 3s (that's one shot you can get off against a zone) They outrebounded us by 10... can you imagine how bad it would have been without Nielsen and Kaufusi? If Worthington and Sharp had to play the 4-5? It would never have made it to OT.

Without the zone, we get eaten alive inside. The tradeoff is letting a poor shooting team get some 3s off and they shot 33.% from 3..(same percentage they got against Utah, a very good perimeter defensive team) take away Quinn and they shot 25%... those are acceptable odds playing zone D. Losing the rebounding battle by 10 is not acceptable and that's with our new found depth... the entire post of the original post is "TYPICAL BYU BASKETBALL GAME" My point is that it wasn't typical at all. In fact I found it very encouraging. We were one called travel, one less turnover, one more made free throw (we shot poorly from the line), one mugging call of Haws, etc. (just one of any of those) from winning against a top 15 team on a neutral court. How is that not encouraging? How is that typical BYU basketball?

Our depth kept us in a game that we were physically and athletically overmatched in. They slowed down, we sped up in the 2nd half. That did not happen the last two years. It happened in this game. Ultimately 1-2 no calls or bad calls, an untimely turnover, one free throw cost us this game against a team that is unquestionably better than us.
One player took 15 three-pointers. He single handily kept SDSU in the game and we left him open all night long. We did this repeatedly last season, which cost us games. I get the zone was a trade-off. And if I am Rose, I try to get SDSU to take outside shots given their woeful shooting percentage. But, I'm sorry after the 4th three-pointer a body should have been on Quinn at all times.

I'm not taking anything away from our bigs. They held the fort down. They aren't the reason we lost.

Regarding depth, Rose basically only played 7 players last night. Worthington chipped in 8 min and Nixon 6. I don't think Worthington played a minute after the first half. Nixon might have briefly come off the bench.

Austin, Kaufusi, Nielson, Haws, KC, Fischer, and Winder literally did 94% of the heavy lifting. Literally. Out of the 250 minutes played by BYU players, those 7 played 234 of them. Austin, Fischer, Haws, KC, and Winder played 79% of the game.

It is great having Worthington, Kaufusi, Neilson and Austin to rotate in. I agree we have depth at the 4/5. But if yesterday is any indication as to the real talent on this team, there is only one viable sub for the backcourt. Rose basically used Winder all night long to spell KC, Haws, and Fischer. There are depth issues when playing superior talent and it's with the guards.
Go back and see the box in one we played for 3 possessions at the end. We couldn't close out the game, but Coach Rose would be willing to accept the offensive stats from SDSU... he undoubtedly wouldn't accept our turnovers, -10 rebounding differential, lack of getting to the line, or our shot selection at times.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Go back and see the box in one we played for 3 possessions at the end. We couldn't close out the game, but Coach Rose would be willing to accept the offensive stats from SDSU... he undoubtedly wouldn't accept our turnovers, -10 rebounding differential, lack of getting to the line, or our shot selection at times.[/quote]

Optimism supports the team. We have a very good to bright future. I could see this team beating SDSU later in the season.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

And another one. Until BYU gets and develops some bigs who actually play basketball we'll always lose these games. Same old story different year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

mizzoucoug wrote:And another one. Until BYU gets and develops some bigs who actually play basketball we'll always lose these games. Same old story different year.
Yep, another team with a pulse resulting in another close loss. I wasn't able to watch or listen to this one but the result is still the same as it has been for the last couple of years. BYU is good enough to lose close games to decent teams and blow out the bad ones.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

frdbtr wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:And another one. Until BYU gets and develops some bigs who actually play basketball we'll always lose these games. Same old story different year.
Yep, another team with a pulse resulting in another close loss. I wasn't able to watch or listen to this one but the result is still the same as it has been for the last couple of years. BYU is good enough to lose close games to decent teams and blow out the bad ones.
There were some weird calls and plays in this game. Haws had a good look to win in regulation as time was expiring. In OT we missed Austin on D because he had fouled out.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb