BYU Cougars on the court.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Slightly off topic-Feel sorry for Carlino

Post by Schmoe »

BoiseBYU wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Schmoe, you made a dumb comment (possibly out of bitterness) and you got called on it. It isn't that hard to say you were wrong, is it? Just holding you to the same standards you hold everyone else to here. I just wish I could do it as perfectly sarcastic as you do, my friend :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
In English class we'd call this the classic pot calling the kettle black.
He was repeating something I'd posted to him earlier on the football forum, hence the smiley face. No harm, no foul.

I do want to be clear, though, that I'm not bitter at Carlino for leaving. I think he was looking for something different -more minutes and the chance to be more of a scorer for his team- and I think he got that at Marquette, and I think it's a good thing if an athlete can find the fit they're looking for.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Schmoe, you made a dumb comment (possibly out of bitterness) and you got called on it. It isn't that hard to say you were wrong, is it? Just holding you to the same standards you hold everyone else to here. I just wish I could do it as perfectly sarcastic as you do, my friend :)

He was repeating something I'd posted to him earlier on the football forum, hence the smiley face. No harm, no foul.

I do want to be clear, though, that I'm not bitter at Carlino for leaving. I think he was looking for something different -more minutes and the chance to be more of a scorer for his team- and I think he got that at Marquette, and I think it's a good thing if an athlete can find the fit they're looking for.
I think I feel a hug coming on :)

I agree. I wish Carlino the best and wish it would have worked out for him here. He was nothing but a gentleman about leaving, saying "I liked everything at BYU, except for the basketball." Which, it would have been easy to buy into the "weird mormon, weird campus" explanation that everyone outside of Utah County was hoping for.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Matt wants the NBA. He had not shown it at the Y. This is his last chance to get his game to that level, as it was not going to happen if he had stayed. It is a roll of the dice and probably will crap out in the end.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:

I think I feel a hug coming on :)

I agree. I wish Carlino the best and wish it would have worked out for him here. He was nothing but a gentleman about leaving, saying "I liked everything at BYU, except for the basketball." Which, it would have been easy to buy into the "weird mormon, weird campus" explanation that everyone outside of Utah County was hoping for.

Well, now I am bitter! Signed, Mr. Kettle

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

scott715 wrote:Matt wants the NBA. He had not shown it at the Y. This is his last chance to get his game to that level, as it was not going to happen if he had stayed. It is a roll of the dice and probably will crap out in the end.
Well for an NBA chance Marquette has a great reputation for training guys to be NBA players.

But I guess I just don't see Matt as having enough athletic gifts to overcome his chronic mistakes.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Carlino was very flashy, but in a hot and cold way. He wanted to be "The Man" at BYU like Jimmer was, but he ended up leaving because, unlike Jimmer, he cost the team several losses to go along with his fantastic showings like against Stanford. He also fell under the shadow of Tyler Haws. I have to agree with Schmoe here; Carlino left for a team that would not have a star to over shadow him. Carlino's current team's circumstances do justify Schmoe's metaphor.