BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Give Anson Winder more minutes

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:
Qman wrote:I think most of us agree Winder has played better than Fischer and deserves minutes. But once you make a guy a captain or a starter you have to be careful about benching him.

This team has pretty good chemistry right now. I don't think we want to mess with it yet.
Fair enough.

For the record, Carlino was a team captain...
True and it took 4-6 terrible games in a row before he got benched.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I don't care what the stats are (though I would guess they lean in Winder's favor)--all I know is that as I've watch the game, the eye test tells me that this team plays much better on both ends of the floor when Anson is out there.

Take him out, and the team becomes more static, less dynamic--again, on both ends of the floor.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

snoscythe wrote:I don't care what the stats are (though I would guess they lean in Winder's favor)--all I know is that as I've watch the game, the eye test tells me that this team plays much better on both ends of the floor when Anson is out there.

Take him out, and the team becomes more static, less dynamic--again, on both ends of the floor.
He is our best player against the better teams. He was in most of the game vs SDSU iirc and it made a huge difference. My opinion is that BYU typically does not have any guard penetration whatsoever, which is what makes our half-court offense so bad sometimes. But with Anson he can actually get to the hole and kick out passes. And since this team can actually shoot that makes him the best pg available.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

The stats show that Winder is the 3rd best player on the team and is the most consistent player with only 1 game not in the category of "decent" or better.
BYU PER 2014-12-02.PNG
If we want to compare Fischer to Winder:

Fischer has played 207 minutes for a PER/Min of 0.47
Winder has played 172 minutes for a PER/Min of 0.69

Winder has contributed more in less time. But each has their role...I'm not necessarily saying start Winder in place of Fischer, but Winder definitely deserves more minutes.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Winder is a great example of a player who has gotten better each year in the program.

Anyone who thinks BYU coaches can't develop players need look no further than Anson Winder that such a notion is false.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

byufan4ever wrote:The stats show that Winder is the 3rd best player on the team and is the most consistent player with only 1 game not in the category of "decent" or better.
BYU PER 2014-12-02.PNG

Winder has contributed more in less time. But each has their role...I'm not necessarily saying start Winder in place of Fischer, but Winder definitely deserves more minutes.
Thanks for posting your ratings. It's hard to dispute giving Winder more time.

Basketball is not a single phase game. While I appreciate a guy getting a lot of points in a game I appreciate more a guy that's willing to give up some of the scoring for a more rounded game. I'd rather see someone consistently handling and distributing the ball than having a big scoring game every 4 to 6 games. Maybe Winder could be that guy.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

nuk13 wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:The stats show that Winder is the 3rd best player on the team and is the most consistent player with only 1 game not in the category of "decent" or better.
BYU PER 2014-12-02.PNG

Thanks for posting your ratings. It's hard to dispute giving Winder more time.

Basketball is not a single phase game. While I appreciate a guy getting a lot of points in a game I appreciate more a guy that's willing to give up some of the scoring for a more rounded game. I'd rather see someone consistently handling and distributing the ball than having a big scoring game every 4 to 6 games. Maybe Winder could be that guy.
Winder and KC are fill-up-the-stats-sheet kind of players. They aren't one dimensional. Those players are not only key pieces of a team, but give opposing defenses headaches. You can't take them out of a game.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Winder and Halford have both been big contributors to this second half run against USU. It's nice having to argue about who should be starting due to there actually being depth on this team. Really nice game the cougs put together in Logan.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Winder is now the 2nd leading scorer on the team.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I don't care if he starts or comes off the bench, he's getting good minutes, deservedly so.
He should continue to get starters minutes and be on the floor at the end of the game.

Surprisingly, Hanford finally played a really good game against USU. He made a huge impact, especially on defense. We needed his defensive disruption.