Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Give Anson Winder more minutes

Post by Wolverine »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:I think that Winder is playing the right amount of minutes. Halford needs more. In fact, he should start at PG against any matchup that allows KColl to slide down to 4.

He is the only one on the roster that can consistently ballhandle, pass, and defend.
KC with first triple-double in 26 years, 19-12-10. I think he is doing just fine running the point and doing whatever else needs to be done. Impressive.
Spoken like someone that doesn't watch the game. KC is amazing, but isn't good at running the point. You left off turnovers, which was quite a few from point. KC is a small forward, and a very good one. He isn't a point guard.
So your #1 metric for whether someone should run the point or not is turnovers. Let's look at the numbers:
KC: 30 Turnovers, 1 per 7.6 minutes, 46 Assists, 1.53 assists per turnover
Halford: 13 Turnovers, 1 per 7.9 minutes, 21 Assists, 1.6 assists per turnover

Now let's go deeper into the numbers:
KC: 1 steal/10 minutes, .46 points/minute, .24 rebounds/minute, 46% FG, 33% 3pt,
76% FT, 13.1 PPG
Halford: 1 steal/34.3 minutes, .38 points/minute, .09 rebounds/minute, 35% FG,
31% 3pt, 100% FT, 5.0 PPG

And let's completely ignore the season ending ACL injury 9 months ago. Yeah, let's make Halford the starting point guard off and on depending on the match-ups. I mean, what coach or player wants consistency game in game out. It's obvious that the numbers completely agree with the eye test from the confines of your living room couch. Make sure Coach Rose gets the memo :roll:

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

A good gauge to determine the true position of a player is to look at what position they would likely play in the NBA should they happen to end up there. KC would not play PG in the NBA.

I like KC. He's a great player. He had a ton of assists against Hawaii. In this offense where about half our points come from transition baskets, 10 assists a night for whomever is charged with running the court should be the norm. Assists on a fast break are the easiest kind.

KC's turnover number is not to be ignored. KC has a hard time handling the ball in traffic. He can not get as low to the ground as the prototypical PG. He isn't as quick either. KC does not split defenders or break ankles with his cross over. He uses his size. When trying to dribble between defenders, it usually results in him losing control of the ball. His success with off-the-dribble plays typically comes from him putting his back to his defender and using his size - credit to him for using the advantage he has.

Halford at PG makes me shudder. Guy shouldn't touch the ball IMO - he's a trap or pick waiting to happen every time he touches the ball in a half court set.

If anyone on the current roster should be playing PG outside of KC, it should be Winder or Ellis. In fact, if you noticed during the last 10 min of the game against Hawaii, after Winder would inbound the ball, KC would pass it right back to Winder and Winder would bring the ball up the court.
Last edited by Gunk on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

My preferred lineup would be KC/Fischer/Haws/Winder/Austin, Worthington, Kaufusi, Nielsen, etc. Right now with the personnel at 1-4 there are interchangeable parts IMO. It's not like the offense depends on a prototypical PG to get them into their half-court sets ;) I like the match-up problems KC brings to the table for the other team. Wednesday will be another huge opportunity for this team to make some early season noise. Utes sit at #13 as of today. Go Cougars!

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

Wolverine wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:I think that Winder is playing the right amount of minutes. Halford needs more. In fact, he should start at PG against any matchup that allows KColl to slide down to 4.

He is the only one on the roster that can consistently ballhandle, pass, and defend.
KC with first triple-double in 26 years, 19-12-10. I think he is doing just fine running the point and doing whatever else needs to be done. Impressive.
Spoken like someone that doesn't watch the game. KC is amazing, but isn't good at running the point. You left off turnovers, which was quite a few from point. KC is a small forward, and a very good one. He isn't a point guard.
Spoken like someone who completely overestimates his own self- importance in world of couch potato coaching. So KC doesn't fit your prototypical point guard mold, as if that even matters here. You probably were singing the same tune about Magic circa 1979. I guess Dave Rose is "someone who doesn't watch the game" either. But then again, I am sure you know better than he does as well. You have made it loud and clear that you are the Internet King of the coaching world. Thanks for sharing :roll:

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

Spoken like someone who completely overestimates his own self- importance in world of couch potato coaching. So KC doesn't fit your prototypical point guard mold, as if that even matters here. You probably were singing the same tune about Magic circa 1979. I guess Dave Rose is "someone who doesn't watch the game" either. But then again, I am sure you know better than he does as well. You have made it loud and clear that you are the Internet King of the coaching world. Thanks for sharing :roll:
Spoken like someone who has been there done that. Thanks for sharing :roll:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

Wolverine.

Sorry, my initial post came off much more inflammatory than I think I originally intended it. I intended it light hearted, and I think it didn't come off that way, thus escalating our squabble. The (douche chill) video isn't calling you that, it is a term for when someone makes a statement or very aggressive stance (normally online) that is uncomfortable to watch.

You were giving KC a comlpliment, and have every reason to. He's amazing. We would be in a big hurt without him. I think he isn't elite pg material, but he is a great player, and he might be the best we have for the position anyways (since Rose ran off our only pg, over the last 2 years of mishandling).

Hug it out?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Wolverine.

Sorry, my initial post came off much more inflammatory than I think I originally intended it. I intended it light hearted, and I think it didn't come off that way, thus escalating our squabble. The (douche chill) video isn't calling you that, it is a term for when someone makes a statement or very aggressive stance (normally online) that is uncomfortable to watch.

You were giving KC a comlpliment, and have every reason to. He's amazing. We would be in a big hurt without him. I think he isn't elite pg material, but he is a great player, and he might be the best we have for the position anyways (since Rose ran off our only pg, over the last 2 years of mishandling).

Hug it out?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Absolutely! I never harbor any ill will when the discussion goes sideways. One thing that I admire about everyone that posts here is we all want nothing but the best and success for our BYU Cougars. Happy Holidays to you and yours :) Go Cougars!