USU

BYU Cougars on the court.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: USU

Post by BYULV »

What did you guys think of the Haws foul and double-technical? I think the officials got it right I could have seen Haws being the only one with a technical because he sprung up like he was about to start a fight. I thought the USU player kept a cool head. The foul itself definitely was not flagrant; he got Haws' arm, not his head. I think maybe Haws was upset because he was fouled from behind on a fast break and there was no real play on the ball. Is it the NBA that has recently said that fouls from behind on fast breaks are intentional fouls? I think if I were the official I would have called an intentional foul and a technical on Haws only.
I agree, don't think it should have been flagrant, but came close because the defender grabbed Haws' arm and didn't let go, ultimately throwing him to the ground. It could have easily injured Haws. I don't think anyone should have gotten a technical on that play. It was pretty benign. No one really said anything and there wasn't really much pushing or anything else. Just break it apart and move on. The game wasn't getting out of control and didn't need to be reigned in at that point.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

BYULV wrote:
What did you guys think of the Haws foul and double-technical? I think the officials got it right I could have seen Haws being the only one with a technical because he sprung up like he was about to start a fight. I thought the USU player kept a cool head. The foul itself definitely was not flagrant; he got Haws' arm, not his head. I think maybe Haws was upset because he was fouled from behind on a fast break and there was no real play on the ball. Is it the NBA that has recently said that fouls from behind on fast breaks are intentional fouls? I think if I were the official I would have called an intentional foul and a technical on Haws only.
I agree, don't think it should have been flagrant, but came close because the defender grabbed Haws' arm and didn't let go, ultimately throwing him to the ground. It could have easily injured Haws. I don't think anyone should have gotten a technical on that play. It was pretty benign. No one really said anything and there wasn't really much pushing or anything else. Just break it apart and move on. The game wasn't getting out of control and didn't need to be reigned in at that point.
I believe in the NBA an 'intentional' foul is in fact a flagrant type I. (The kind you don't get throw out for).

I haven't seen the play but in general if a guy has you beat on a fastbreak and you foul him from behind, then it better be very clear you were making a play on the ball. I think refs should default to calling flagrants and it is up to the defender to 'prove' it isn't a dangerous play.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think the announcers said the rule is different in the NBA vs NCAA. NBA it is a F1.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Thanks for posting the highlights. I can see why Haws was upset about that foul.

Nice post moves by KC and Winder's windmill was sick.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Pretty dirty foul on Haws. I'd have been ready to throw down if someone did that to me. Would expect the same if I had done it to someone.

Did anyone see halford's pass (who was sitting at about 3 point line) to Haws along the baseline? One of the best passes I've seen.