defining win?

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

defining win?

Post by BroncoBot »

At this point, I'm officially worried about putting together enough of a resume to get an at large bid. Granted, beating the zags twice would do it, but that ain't gonna happen. I'd be surprised to get one win against them.

BYU has 3 losses
Loss to zags = 4 and 5
Loss to Umass or Stanford = 6
Loss to 2-3 other WCC teams = 8-9 losses

As it currently stands, that would definitely put BYU solidly on the bubble with a record with 22-23 wins. No standout wins, possibly a few bad losses.

Play in game?

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: defining win?

Post by Wolverine »

BroncoBot wrote:At this point, I'm officially worried about putting together enough of a resume to get an at large bid. Granted, beating the zags twice would do it, but that ain't gonna happen. I'd be surprised to get one win against them.

BYU has 3 losses
Loss to zags = 4 and 5
Loss to Umass or Stanford = 6
Loss to 2-3 other WCC teams = 8-9 losses

As it currently stands, that would definitely put BYU solidly on the bubble with a record with 22-23 wins. No standout wins, possibly a few bad losses.

Play in game?
Sounds similar to last year's resume. I am hopeful it will be better.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We might get a play in game with that resume but it would depend on how many bids the Pac and MWC get.

We've shot ourselves in the foot. SDSU was one made free throw in regulation away from a win (we shot 50% from the line in regulation). OT loss to Purdue. Sloppy play against UT.

We need to beat Stanford and UMass.

We don't beat the Zags this year, not unless they lay an egg and there is a good chance they cruise through the WCC.

SMC and USF will likely give us fits.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

We are definitely in a hole. One thing that has changed is the ROC. They are worth a few points. If the Zags have an off night and we are hot, I like our chances in Provo...

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Best wins are LBSU and USU. I think LBSU is a top 100. USU is just out.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

However, so far we also do not have a "bad" loss in the other column either.

We've lost to a top 15 team by 4, a top 20 team in 2OT, and our worst loss is a 2 point OT loss to Purdue. If we only lose to Gonzaga, Stanford, and UMass and keep those games respectable, we'll have a better resume than last year where we didn't have a marquee win but we had losses to Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, Portland, and Pacific.

I'm still optimistic about this team--haven't been run off the court yet. and that happened a few times last year.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

snoscythe wrote:However, so far we also do not have a "bad" loss in the other column either.

We've lost to a top 15 team by 4, a top 20 team in 2OT, and our worst loss is a 2 point OT loss to Purdue. If we only lose to Gonzaga, Stanford, and UMass and keep those games respectable, we'll have a better resume than last year where we didn't have a marquee win but we had losses to Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, Portland, and Pacific.

I'm still optimistic about this team--haven't been run off the court yet. and that happened a few times last year.
Last year we had that really poor stretch of play that we couldn't overcome and got some bad losses. I think having better depth this year will help us avoid a similar stretch of poor play and avoid losing to several teams we should never have lost to.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Avoid bad losses and get some top 100 wins should help us get in.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BoiseBYU wrote:We are definitely in a hole. One thing that has changed is the ROC. They are worth a few points. If the Zags have an off night and we are hot, I like our chances in Provo...
Watched the zags impressively dismantle UCLA today (since the weber game was nowhere to be found). Gonzaga shots lights out from the 3 point line as well as the paint, AND have some very good bigs. Sabonis is going to be awesome for them. They play TEAM basketball as well as anyone in the country. Very few mistakes on offense, pesky on defense.

I currently do not see BYU winning either game versus the zags. And if BYU has lost haws for the first game of the series, our chances go down even more.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Lundari had us first four out of tourney and then we beat Stanford and UMass. Stanford best Texas tonight in OT. Hawaii has taken #11 Wichita St to OT.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image