Why the pass?

BYU Cougars on the court.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why the pass?

Post by nuk13 »

I don't think either coach deserves a pass. While injuries have hurt both sports, they and their staffs could improve in their coaching.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Ah yes,

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Apparently Godwin's Law applies not only to Hitler, but cancer as well.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYULV wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:I'm also not sure I mentioned this officially on this thread:

Dave Rose made a huge mistake with Carlino. Kid is balling out in the (MUCH tougher) Big East right now. His rebounding, handles, and passing vision and ability were perfect for the uptempo offense at BYU. We don't score on the break nearly as much as we used to. We have become very much an isolation based team, giving the ball to someone on the wing and having them go one on one against their man. It is a huge problem. It will be remedied shortly when Emery and Calvert get back, but he made a mistake playing first Cusick and second KC at point. And before you throw KC's assist numbers at me, I GET IT, HE"S A GREAT PLAYER! I'M GLAD TO HAVE HIM!!! But... a lot of the assists he is getting are from passing to a cutter when a second defender comes to double his drives. It isn't like KC has elite passing or vision, he is just a DANG GOOD player. And good on him for that. I just wish that Carlino was here passing KC and Haws the ball, and Rose messed that up - big time.
Can't believe we are rehashing Carlino, but you make his play sound a lot rosier than it really is this year. Here's a recent article to clarify how his season is really going, about like when he was at BYU: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... t-BYU.html

I don't think rose did anything wrong with Carlino, I think Carlino wanted to go and he did.
Carlino probaby did want to go, but he is having a career year for FG% (42%) , 3pt% (44%) and FT% (84.4%). hes scored 19 or more in his last 4 games, and averaging 1 TO/15.3 minutes. He's having a great year considering that it is a transition year and being in a more difficult conference.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yes, but what's the whole context. Team record, other players ppg, etc.
It doesn't matter much if he is the only who has any game.
But, good for him. Too bad he is out of eligibility after this year.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

WHY THE PASS??????

Um,
1. former players investing their own money into new annex.
2. Former players (basketball players) given access to work out at the annex.
3. Which means some mentoring and brotherhood actually going on.
4. Oh ya! NO WHINING or BASHING of Coach Rose by former players or pre-Rose players.

Why the Pass? Because he does people better. "I love Bronco......", but the difference is becoming palpable and almost undeniable, even to you fake haters.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

I think Bronco and Rose are so similar. Both are good coaches who perform at a consistently high level.

Bronco is the only coach in our history to lead us to 4 top 25 finishes in a row. Rose is the only coach to lead us to 6 straight NCAA tournaments. Neither coach has led us to our highest single season highs.

The frustrations with Bronco have been hashed and rehashed.

Rose isn't without his glaring weaknesses as well. There are 60 active coaches who have coached 10 NCAA tournament games or more. 54 of them have a better tournament winning pct. than Rose.

Rose has yet to beat a single digit seed in the tournament and has yet to win a conference tournament. This is something that BYU coaches in the past have done.

Just like Bronco, I hope Rose can get over the hump. But even if he doesn't, I'm glad he's at BYU. We haven't seen much better (at least in my lifetime.)