Why oh why?

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Why oh why?

Post by BroncoBot »

Just wondering why BYU is jacking up threes like they are going out of style. I realize they just had a let down against Pepperdine, but everyone knows that BYU's game revolves around the 3, and that BYU can be very efficient with the 3. I'd love to see the ball get into the paint on every possession this game. If the bigs get the ball take 1-2 dribbles and kick it out, that's fine with me. But get those dudes some meaningful touches against the LMUs of the world.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Why oh why?

Post by SpiffCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:Just wondering why BYU is jacking up threes like they are going out of style. I realize they just had a let down against Pepperdine, but everyone knows that BYU's game revolves around the 3, and that BYU can be very efficient with the 3. I'd love to see the ball get into the paint on every possession this game. If the bigs get the ball take 1-2 dribbles and kick it out, that's fine with me. But get those dudes some meaningful touches against the LMUs of the world.
Probably because of how well BYU started the game shooting. They started something like 6 of 8 and finished 13 of 28.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:Just wondering why BYU is jacking up threes like they are going out of style. I realize they just had a let down against Pepperdine, but everyone knows that BYU's game revolves around the 3, and that BYU can be very efficient with the 3. I'd love to see the ball get into the paint on every possession this game. If the bigs get the ball take 1-2 dribbles and kick it out, that's fine with me. But get those dudes some meaningful touches against the LMUs of the world.
Probably because of how well BYU started the game shooting. They started something like 6 of 8 and finished 13 of 28.
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make. BYU's bigs weren't touching the ball... Didn't touch the ball nearly all game.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make. BYU's bigs weren't touching the ball... Didn't touch the ball nearly all game.
That's because the bigs we have available aren't good. Kaufusi missed how many shots from 2 ft away. I actually think LMU's bigs were better than Kaufusi and Worthington.

(8.4x
..................ATT
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
That's because the bigs we have available aren't good. Kaufusi missed how many shots from 2 ft away. I actually think LMU's bigs were better than Kaufusi and Worthington.
And they won't become much better practicing against themselves and getting 0 real touches against competition.

BYU's bigs aren't good enough to get 10 decent touches against teams who average an egregious 245 (pepperdine = 220, LMU 270)? Might as well play 5 guards against gonzaga next time.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Then perhaps the three bigs who did play tonight actually produce and warrant more touches?

That's one thing Rose has always done. He'll play guys and if they don't produce - even in limited minutes and opportunities - they eventually fall out of the rotation.

Kaufusi, Neilsen and Worthington played a combined 40 minutes. They missed the three shots they took (all by CK, all right at the rim). They missed the two FTs they took (both by CK). They grabbed all of six rebounds (3 off, 3 def). They had one assist and five turnovers and committed eight fouls.

They need to produce. They're not good rebounders either. They just not very good right now. And they need to take better advantage of the opportunities of the limited chances they are getting.

(8.4x
..................ATT
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:Then perhaps the three bigs who did play tonight actually produce and warrant more touches?
It would be nice to be blowing out the pepperdines and LMUs of the world out so much that BYU could get 2 bigs in the game and get them some REAL experience.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Then perhaps the three bigs who did play tonight actually produce and warrant more touches?
It would be nice to be blowing out the pepperdines and LMUs of the world out so much that BYU could get 2 bigs in the game and get them some REAL experience.
Yes, it would.

(8.4x
..................ATT
craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

We didn't have a single point tonight scored by a forward or center... this team is very broken... we have a couple exceptional players carrying a very disjointed pool of talent.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would like to see the PT go to the players who will develop the most and will be depended on in the tourney.

When TH was a freshman he could had helped us beat Florida but he wasn't trusted to take a lot of shots. Jimmer was putting it up even though he had strained his calf.

I think I remember that game right.