How did the Post cupboard get so bare?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

How did the Post cupboard get so bare?

Post by Wolverine »

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but a combined 2 points and 2 rebounds by 4 post players in 40 minutes of play? Not only was it bad, it was downright embarrassing. How on earth did the cupboard get so bare in the post? I get that Mika was a beast and is now on a mission. Don't you plan for that scenario? I get that Austin got hurt. Don't you plan for some sort of serviceable backup for that scenario? Before last summer, Kaufusi wasn't even part of the plan, if there even is a plan when it comes to the Post position. If last night wasn't a wake up call for the future, then seasons like this one become the norm and not the exception.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Re: How did the Post cupboard get so bare?

Post by Cougs_Rule »

-Live by the three and die by the three.
-Run and gun till ya can't run no more.
-Score more points than your opponent; as opposed to, hold your opponent to fewer points than you score. Scheme, Mentality, go recruit.
-Rose knows offense. Bronco knows Defense.
-Rose/BYU recruits/attracts scoring guards; Bronco/BYU recruits linebackers.
-Mormons genetically have a lot of tall, lanky, skinny white guys.
-Worthington is pretty much a flop. Harward was a flop. Nielson is a flop with a sort of 3-point shot; Kaufusi is not a god-send, but imagine Nielson getting all his minutes? Yikes!
-What big men recruits has BYU missed on besides Jordan Loveridge, who seems more like a stretch four, though I don't know his game that well. They just don't flock to BYU.
-And your senior reliable guy, who still doesn't score but occassionally put backs, is OUT.

Pretty much sums up the bare cupboard. Did I leave anything out?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Bigs are a huge recruiting hole and failure by Rose and staff so far, with the exception of Mika.

Worthington was our only useful big against SMC for the sole reason that while he was in we didn't need to double team whats his name, neither Kaufusi nor Neilson were able to even slow him down at all.

byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byucougar1 »

With The Rose offense - which is up tempo - run and gun, the post players need to be able to run and get up and down the court fast. When I was at UH with Phi Slamma Jamma, they had Olajuwan who could fill that role. They need to find a similar player like Brandon Davies and they will be fine. Cupboard has been bare for this position as Rose also had to find stretch forwards who can shoot. He has that in upcoming recruits but not with current roster. Kafusi is the player with biggest upside but he is still learning the game.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Don't forget Rose saw the weakness and had two transfers coming in to help- Aytes -- who we originally recruited and Kyle Davis. We have had bad luck about Aytes not being able to get healthy and Austin being out at the same time.

The fact that we had spots for two transfers also means that we missed out on some big man recruits.

Oh and Sharp has been a no show. If he had shown average development he would be playing big minutes.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Recruiting bigs is really limited for Rose. Again, if you're a 6' 10" beast of an athlete you can go pretty much anywhere you want. We lucked out Mika wanted to go to BYU.

Kaufusi is a huge project. The rest are what they are. I don't see them getting any better.

What's interesting is there are clearly tall enough mormon kids. But for some reason rather than develop back to the basket post moves, they all opt to become "stretch" 4 and 5s. They all want to be like Dirk. Newsflash! Dirk has a post up game too! It's why he was so potent, he could take it inside and outside.

We should avoid all "stretch" 4s moving forward. "Stretch" is just a term for a tall, weak guy who's afraid to mix it up down low.

We should also start looking internationally. For some reason, we haven't looked beyond the US in years.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Here are the bigs (listed as F or C on BYU's roster) from the last six seasons who could possibly be on the roster. I've also listed what year they would be if there on the team this year as well in prior years. For prior years, I'm only listing those guys who potentially could be on this year's roster.

2014-15:
C - Nate Austin (Sr) - injured
C - Corbin Kaufusi (Fr) - rotational player
C - Isaac Neilsen (Fr) - rotational player
C - Luke Worthington (So) - starter
F - Dalton Nixon (Fr) - rotational player
F - Josh Sharp (Sr) - part-time player
F - Ryan Andrus (Fr) - part-time player
F - Jamal Aytes (So) - Redshirting?
F - Kyle Davis (Jr) - Redshirting

2013-14:
C - Eric Mika (So) - mission (starter)
F - Graham Pingree (So) - mission (bench player)

2012-13:
C - Ian Harward (RS So) - mission? (rare-part-time player)
F - Bronson Kaufusi (Jr) - football player (part-time player)

I don't know who is managing the roster, but it's clear that Rose and staff have done a poor job at managing missions and recruiting players who can play in the low-post.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:Recruiting bigs is really limited for Rose. Again, if you're a 6' 10" beast of an athlete you can go pretty much anywhere you want. We lucked out Mika wanted to go to BYU.

Kaufusi is a huge project. The rest are what they are. I don't see them getting any better.

What's interesting is there are clearly tall enough mormon kids. But for some reason rather than develop back to the basket post moves, they all opt to become "stretch" 4 and 5s. They all want to be like Dirk. Newsflash! Dirk has a post up game too! It's why he was so potent, he could take it inside and outside.

We should avoid all "stretch" 4s moving forward. "Stretch" is just a term for a tall, weak guy who's afraid to mix it up down low.

We should also start looking internationally. For some reason, we haven't looked beyond the US in years.
Inability to recruit talented big men is no excuse for lack of big men production, rather it indicates a huge failure on the part of Coach Rose and his staff in recruitment.

It is unacceptable that a program that is perennially top 50 cannot recruit a big man, while a team that is 25-50 spots lower can recruit 2 or 3 bigs that are all better than our best guy.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Gunk wrote: We should avoid all "stretch" 4s moving forward. "Stretch" is just a term for a tall, weak guy who's afraid to mix it up down low.
Best part of the quote!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:Recruiting bigs is really limited for Rose. Again, if you're a 6' 10" beast of an athlete you can go pretty much anywhere you want. We lucked out Mika wanted to go to BYU.

Inability to recruit talented big men is no excuse for lack of big men production, rather it indicates a huge failure on the part of Coach Rose and his staff in recruitment.

It is unacceptable that a program that is perennially top 50 cannot recruit a big man, while a team that is 25-50 spots lower can recruit 2 or 3 bigs that are all better than our best guy.

Gosh darn it, that Dave Rose. And the funny thing is, notwithstanding your criticism having SOME validity, still, the "pass" exists for Dave and not Bronco.

The international idea has some intrigue. But yes, Dave has to put a little more priority on maybe some JC hole fillers at post. One (Aytes) was not enough. But he also did not have any schollies. Who gets cut out of the guards?